Diabetic retinopathy

mmcmaster90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Last week had a black shadow in my eye, so I waited over the weekend to see if get better. I went to opticians on Monday and they referred me to hospital as blood vessel had burst at back of eye so the shadow is blood,

Doctor said it's retinopathy and to come back for dye test to see extreme of it.

But I am wondering if anyone can help if they know if being in front on a computer screen can affect it more than normal as that's my main job in front of screens for 12hours.

MaxRebo001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am currently going through this, looking at a computer screen isn't going to make a difference with retinopathy, you may well find that if the retinopathy progresses it will affect you ability to look at a screen though, I have non proliferative retinopathy in both eyes as well as macula edema, and had laser surgery in December to try and resolve it, i've since had some vision issues due to the edema, which on a bad day stops me from being able to read.

The one thing i cannot stress enough is to maintain good control of your diabetes, if you do you stand a good chance of stopping the retinopathy in its tracks before any loss of vision occurs, theres a good chance now if i keep very tight control of my levels that the edema may well be gone by the time i have my follow up visit at the hopsital in march, but if left things too late at best the laser surgery will only prevent further loss of vision, it isn't normal for laser treatment to resture lost vision.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Providing that your BG is controlled and you're wearing corrective glasses/contacts (if needed) then you should be okay.

I'd imagine that the above stands true, as long as you're taking regular breaks from you screen and getting sufficient sleep to rest your eyes.

None of what I've said has any medical or evidential backing, but I'd be very confident in saying that your retinopathy (as a T1) is more than likely caused by diabetes rather than anything else. Further to that, I'd imagine that diabetes (less than ideally controlled) will aggravate your eye issues more than prolonged periods in front of a computer screen.

How is your overall control, HbA1c, etc?

Reactions: Clivethedrive

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi @mmcmaster90

The procedure is called a Flourescian Angiography where a dye is injected into a vein which helps makes the blood vessels in the eye more visible when photographed, I've had this done myself and it's a painless procedure and is over with in around 10-15 mins.

I don't see why using a computer screen would be a problem, obviously seeing out of the eye with the bleed will be problematic but otherwise you should be fine.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @mmcmaster90

The procedure is called a Flourescian Angiography where a dye is injected into a vein which helps makes the blood vessels in the eye more visible when photographed, I've had this done myself and it's a painless procedure and is over with in around 10-15 mins.

I don't see why using a computer screen would be a problem, obviously seeing out of the eye with the bleed will be problematic but otherwise you should be fine.
Good first hand experience @noblehead :)

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd rather not have had the experience @GrantGam :(

But such is life........................
I can imagine Nigel :(

As you've said, such is life... But you've had the condition a very long time and are still here to be passing on your invaluable knowledge. Thanks.

mmcmaster90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Providing that your BG is controlled and you're wearing corrective glasses/contacts (if needed) then you should be okay.

I'd imagine that the above stands true, as long as you're taking regular breaks from you screen and getting sufficient sleep to rest your eyes.

None of what I've said has any medical or evidential backing, but I'd be very confident in saying that your retinopathy (as a T1) is more than likely caused by diabetes rather than anything else. Further to that, I'd imagine that diabetes (less than ideally controlled) will aggravate your eye issues more than prolonged periods in front of a computer screen.

How is your overall control, HbA1c, etc?
Sorry was on night shift last night, overall isn't the greatest to be fair but trying to work on it with job and wife and 2kids hard going all round,

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry was on night shift last night, overall isn't the greatest to be fair but trying to work on it with job and wife and 2kids hard going all round,
I know it may seem that there just isn't enough time in the day to test, eat correctly, exercise, etc. But it really is a must, it will ensure that you have the best possible chance of living a full, healthy and enjoyable life:)

Reactions: Clivethedrive

mmcmaster90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My wife is stressing and nagging me not to play my normal 5 a side in a Tuesday because doctor on told me not to stress or strain, do you 5s is OK or to avoid it till been hospital etc

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My wife is stressing and nagging me not to play my normal 5 a side in a Tuesday because doctor on told me not to stress or strain, do you 5s is OK or to avoid it till been hospital etc

Good advice from your good lady, I was told not to do anything too strenuous when my retinopathy developed to the proliferative stage, at least wait until you see the Ophthalmologist and see what they say about you playing sport.

Edit to add additional information:

If your retinopathy is mild and non-proliferative, there is really no reason to limit your physical activity unless your doctor recommends otherwise. However, if you have moderate or severe proliferative retinopathy, it is best to avoid activities that cause rapid changes in blood pressure. This includes exercises that involve rapid changes in direction (such as court sports), sudden “bursts” of movement (including golf, baseball, martial arts and calisthenics), very high intensities (such as sprints/racing, heavy weight lifting, isometrics and most forms of competition) or placing the head below the level of the heart (as occurs during yoga and diving).

https://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx?cat=7001&id=31410

Last edited:

Dark Horse

Get the bleed investigated first - 5-aside would raise your blood pressure and could cause worse bleeding.

mmcmaster90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just found out Iv to get the laser treatment next Thursday not had a call from the doc or that I had to call hospital.for results myself and been told by nurse who can't tell me anything but appointment time.

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
But I am wondering if anyone can help if they know if being in front on a computer screen can affect it more than normal as that's my main job in front of screens for 12hours.

I'm a database programmer and spend on average about 6 hours a day in front of two large flat screen monitors. If anything the light intensity may allow you to see floaters when looking at the screen but I don;t think it would be a contributing factor. I had a florescene angiography done about 27 years ago when I suddenly noticed more floaters than usual - while looking at a computer monitor - so I had it done. They injected this yellow dye in to me with the idea of being able to see the dye leak through my blood vessels along the retina. There were several photographs taken and the whole process - be it painless - was very uncomfortable and it did cause an element of anxiety that I don;t normally experience.

The worse thing of all - for whatever reason the photographs didn't turn out very well and they wanted me to go for another one (they contacted me 6 months later) when I didn;t seem to have any floaters anymore - so I said no that's okay and ended up changing ophthalmologists.

Hope your angiography goes better than mine - that was 27 years ago so hopefully the technology has improved as well.

Good Luck and try not to worry too much.