Diabetic son will not stop eating high sugar and high carbs

elainechi

Re: Diabetic son will not stop eating high sugar and high ca

hi. have a 12 year daughter. same problems. how you.getting on???
would love to here. jane needs reminding at home but snacks too much withiut injecting.x

kaking54

Hello, I hope things are going better for you and your son. I'm new here and was reading old threads. I came across your post and it reminded me of my son. He is not diabetic but he is ADHD and really hated being different from the other children. Most of his resentment towards his disorder came from this one fact so he never wanted to take his medicine. It really helped to explain to his friends what being ADHD meant and so his friends, his real friends, helped him to remember what needed to be done and helped him to understand it wasn't that big of a deal to be "different" because he had to take medicine. His friends and his "image" are most important at that age, right or wrong, so we worked with his doctor and around his embarrassment to get the safest out come for him.

Also, at your son's age, he feels indestructible. We all did. It's a part of being a teenager. It's surprizing how many of us really did survive. I do understand your worries. Keep your chin up. I'm sure you and he will be able to work this out.

K-

cyedwards

Hi, just joined the diabetes forum site. Your topic really strikes a chord with me as my son is 15 and is exactly the same as your son. He will not take blood sugar level tests and the last time we went to the hospital for his check up he had only two tests on his monitor for a 2 week period!!! He too is at the age where he just wants to go out with his friends, which I don';t have a problem with, but while he is out his diet is nothing but McDonalds, Fried Chicken etc and then sweets. Have tried to explain that he can eat a certain amount of sugary food but still has to test to make sure that his levels are okay and if not then he has to inject a rapid. Nick has no problems with injecting insulin at all, he just hates having his sugar levels checked. Just wondering whether you came through the similar situation with your son. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Christine

hannah95

ooooh the rebellious phase, thats such a horrible time. i came out of mine last january after my a1c got to 10.2 and i was starting to develop complications and my doctor really gave me a kick up the backside (2 and half hour appt!!) , and he was literally the only one who got through to me my parents didnt at all because i just saw them as nagging abd being really annoying

what triggered my rebellious phase was having a really horrible time with a teacher at my school , my transition onto basal bolus and having about 4 doctors in the space of 2 years. now looking back i know how stupid i was being i was only testing twice a day and was skipping injections and stuff being in that phase is horrible you know the consequences but still it seems too difficult to take control and you feel like other people who arent diabetic dont understand. i was getting retinopathy when i was in my rebellious phase but luckily i managed to reverse it.

sometimes it just takes time to mature i know how difficult that is to hear but only he can decide he wants to change you can nag him all you want but if he doesnt want to do it he wont. as for the scaring him sometimes it'll work and sometimes it wont work and may make it worse, trying to scare me with stories never worked for me until it happened to me.

try and not set impossible goals but like one small goal at a time dont try and tackle everything at once. also what really helped me was taking a 'break' from it which was in a book i read it says whne you feel like youre burning out take a weekend where you do the minimum amount of testing and insulin is estimated rather than speciffically counted. it has really helped me to do this

elainechi

help. jane will eat heathly but not inject for snacks which maybe apples oranges and yoghurts. its the timing i think. she waits so long and then injects maybe. hba1c just over 11 !!!!! and how been since basal bolus. she wants a pump but dr says no as bs too high. i hate the thought of complications. is there anything i can do to improve this????. her monthy cycle doesn.t help either moody wants to eat sugar all the time. infact before she was diagnosed i used to call her a carb junkie. doesn.t go with diabetes....

maryp

Hi

I'm a mum of a 17yrold daughter with diabetes, diagnosed 5yrs ago. She too eats whats she wants and isn't the best at testing. It is so hard trying to tread that very fine line between respecting her independence and supporting her in managing her diabetes. Her blood sugars are constantly high and I worry for her future. Especially as her father died from diabetes and had every complication in the book. She only knew her dad as a blind person, used to go with him as a little girl to his dialysis sessions after his transplant failed after 10yrs, play with his prosthetic leg,push his wheelchair ....She knows first hand about the complications of diabetes but as a teenager she lives in the present and believes she's invincible!! I pray that she will find her own way in looking after herself and feel the advice given that your son takes insulin to cover for the mars bars,etc and is continued to be supported at home in regular checking is the best way forward. But for us mums a good bloody cry and remember to look after ourselves too. Good luck.