Diabeties and insulin.. Meh

KittyCatMew

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Everyone :)

I have been taken novorapid since i was diagnosed 17 years ago, and been using Degludec for about 6-7 years.
For about 4 weeks i have been having some side affects and i though it was one of my tablets i take, so i brought a blood pressure machine and found out my blood pressure is now fine(keeping a eye on it everyday). But now 3 weeks later im still have the symptoms. so on Saturday i decided to stop my degludec, and now Monday im still having them only using my novorapid now( They did go down a bit yesterday but they are very strong again), i have contacted my DSN but i still need to wait for her to get back to me, Does anyone have any hint on what is going on or experienced anything like this them self's ?

Symptoms:
Feeling/being sick
Headaches
heart palpitations
Dizziness
tiredness
hands shaking/whole body shaking
it does feel like im having a hypo all the time, but my level is fine when i check.
I also cant even walk to a shop without shaking and feeling drained.

Any advice/help would be appreciated
Thank you, Kitty.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @KittyCatMew . Welcome to the forum.
Has there been any changes in your lifestyle. Stress?
An awkward question, but could it be age related ( menopause)?
I'm sure the answer is here, and someone will be along to offer advice.
My apologies if I'm totally off target with your age.

KittyCatMew

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @KittyCatMew . Welcome to the forum.
Has there been any changes in your lifestyle. Stress?
An awkward question, but could it be age related ( menopause)?
I'm sure the answer is here, and someone will be along to offer advice.
My apologies if I'm totally off target with your age.
When this started i was going to have a operation, but then i cancelled it, that is the only stress i had that was in September.
And i am 27, so i don't think it could be menopause, I know it can happen tho,

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@KittyCatMew . Oops:banghead:. Could not having the operation be an underlying cause.
I'm going to tag @Snapsy I feel she may be able to offer something with regards to thyroid problems.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That is quite a long list of somewhat vague symptoms. I'm not sure any of us can solve this dilemma for you on a forum. It's best you see a health professional there, whom you were wise to contact. Suffice it to say stopping some of your insulin is most likely not a solution to your problem. It could lead to more problems if anything. You also didn't enumerate on what "tablets" you take.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the tag, @therower .

Hi @KittyCatMew - sorry to hear this! I am on Levothyroxine since having my wonky thyroid zapped with radioiodine some years ago, and I get similar symptoms to some of the ones you've listed when my thyroxine dose is too high. If it's been a while since your last thyroid blood test perhaps it might be an idea to get tested - I find that I need my dose tweaking from time to time, and for the last 18 months I've been a bit all over the place with it, so it's a bit of a work in progress.

Having said all of the above, your list of symptoms are not uncommon across a variety of health issues, so I'd recommend having a chat with your GP.

How are you feeling since you stopped the Degludec (is that Tresiba?). I'd be very very bothered about stopping my own basal insulin altogether - but you say you're in touch with your DSN so presumably she is supporting you in this course of action? If your DSN is unaware that you're not taking your basal I would strongly recommend that you talk to her about this in particular.

Very best, love Snapsy
:)

KittyCatMew

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Snapsy
Hello, Thank for the reply:)
Yes i am on Leveothyroxine also, 125mg, I also contacted the doctors to send a note to a GP to get me a blood form so i can have my thyroid checked, Gotta phone back tomorrow to see it its been approved". I feel better since i stopped the Degludec(Tresiba) but not that much.
I spoke with my DSN today and told her what i've done and everything that is going on, i'm going to tra new fast acting insulin, but it is going to take 5-6 days before i get it depending on the GP, and yes she told me stopping my Degludec was my choice but i've decided im going to take half the amount for now untill i get the new fast acting insulin. I didn't like that i stopped it but i needed to find out for myself.

Kitty.

KittyCatMew

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That is quite a long list of somewhat vague symptoms. I'm not sure any of us can solve this dilemma for you on a forum. It's best you see a health professional there, whom you were wise to contact. Suffice it to say stopping some of your insulin is most likely not a solution to your problem. It could lead to more problems if anything. You also didn't enumerate on what "tablets" you take.

I was taking Levothyroxine and Irbesartan (which i no longer need as my blood pressure as gone back to normal)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I spoke with my DSN today and told her what i've done and everything that is going on, i'm going to tra new fast acting insulin, but it is going to take 5-6 days before i get it depending on the GP, and yes she told me stopping my Degludec was my choice but i've decided im going to take half the amount for now untill i get the new fast acting insulin. I didn't like that i stopped it but i needed to find out for myself.
Good to know - sorry to be worried. How has the reduction to half the amount affected your blood sugars? Hope all is well. Do keep us posted on how it's all going, won't you?

xxx

Reactions: himtoo

KittyCatMew

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good to know - sorry to be worried. How has the reduction to half the amount affected your blood sugars? Hope all is well. Do keep us posted on how it's all going, won't you?

xxx
I will find out tonight with the half amount and ofcourse, ill keep you updated :)

Reactions: Snapsy

Books1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It might also be worth getting your doc to do some tests for other autoimmune conditions -suggesting this as I had thyroid issues then Addison's and now LADA.
Hope you get things sorted.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hey there @kittykatmew
I am still trying to get my hypothyroid sorted and feel I am not being given a large enough dose of levothyroxine-- but the sheet the doctor gave me on hyperthyroid does match a lot of the symptoms you describe in your opening post.
perhaps your thyroid dose needs looking at with a view to reducing ????? ( just a thought )

please do keep following things up with your care team ................ [[[hugs too ]]]

himtoo
x

Reactions: Snapsy

Jason_Avoneg

Just wondering have you tried any other background insulin? Years ago I got hold of a Lantus pen from another diabetic (yes bad practice I know...) Anyway, I felt exhausted on it, my mind was cloudy and it was a few bad days of taking it.

I went back to Levemir and felt normal again...

Though its more likely to be the other stuff people have said I'm the thread, but I do think it's worth trying other insulins out. Somehow I never say a consultant and my GP diagnosed me and I've been under his care since, and he's awesome with letting me try new insulins as long as I have a valid reason, i.e. needing Fiasp to reduce spikes, or Tresiba to have something less peaky.

KittyCatMew

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Everyone,
Just a update i have located the problem of my symptoms and it is actually Dairy.... yes kinda stupid i've only just found out but yeah... Cant have anything dairy :/, So since i have stopped it all as been well (For now atleast ) still giving it some more time, but hopefully no symptoms will return.
Still thank you for all the advice/support i really appreciate it.

Kitty.

Reactions: Dodo and Ixarix

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Everyone,
Just a update i have located the problem of my symptoms and it is actually Dairy.... yes kinda stupid i've only just found out but yeah... Cant have anything dairy :/, So since i have stopped it all as been well (For now atleast ) still giving it some more time, but hopefully no symptoms will return.
Still thank you for all the advice/support i really appreciate it.

Kitty.
Morning @KittyCatMew:)

Very happy that you have got to the bottom of your problems, that must be such a relief. Can I ask how you found out you were lactose intolerant?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Everyone :)

I have been taken novorapid since i was diagnosed 17 years ago, and been using Degludec for about 6-7 years.
For about 4 weeks i have been having some side affects and i though it was one of my tablets i take, so i brought a blood pressure machine and found out my blood pressure is now fine(keeping a eye on it everyday). But now 3 weeks later im still have the symptoms. so on Saturday i decided to stop my degludec, and now Monday im still having them only using my novorapid now( They did go down a bit yesterday but they are very strong again), i have contacted my DSN but i still need to wait for her to get back to me, Does anyone have any hint on what is going on or experienced anything like this them self's ?

Symptoms:
Feeling/being sick
Headaches
heart palpitations
Dizziness
tiredness
hands shaking/whole body shaking
it does feel like im having a hypo all the time, but my level is fine when i check.
I also cant even walk to a shop without shaking and feeling drained.

Any advice/help would be appreciated
Thank you, Kitty.
Yes I was experiencing those symptoms too. When I started lchf. Have you changed your diet dramatically lately too?