Diagnosed 4 months ago. Questions.

mshumph

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all,
I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes about 4 months ago. My HbA1C was at 6.2.
Having been hypoglycemic most of my life, I was still shocked at this diagnosis. I am not overweight. I exercise 4-5 times daily---lifting weights and/or riding my stationary bike. I eat no simple sugars.
The doctor gave me no maintenance guidance. In fact, she discussed with me how I would be treated with meds, how I'd need frequent doctor's visits, how my feet would have to be checked regularly. Never once did she say that this could be reversed. I was scared to death. I watched my sister die from diabetes complications after having a leg amputated.
I hit the internet looking for help. I purchased books. I then found that this condition can indeed be reversed. However, each book gave conflicting information that totally confused me. Thus, I decided to give up red meat. Then I read yesterday that eggs could cause and worsen diabetes. So today I decided to go vegan. However, I have questions that hopefully some of you can answer.
I hate rice. So adding that to my diet is out. I've decided to stick with my morning smoothies that I've done for years, minus the protein powder. I'm fine with beans, greens or a salad for lunch/dinner.
Here are my questions.
Can the doctor accurately diagnose this condition without giving me either the fasting or oral blood sugar tests?
On a vegan diet, do I need to count calories or portion sizes?
Can I safely eat fruits like melons, strawberries, raspberries and blueberries, or do they need to be limited?
I love to grab a handful of nuts for munching. Do I need to control the portion size for this?
My biggest problem is skipping meals for I am not a big eater. I hear this is a no, no with this condition. So, I usually drink one of those Glucerma drinks or grab a handful of nuts. Actually, I could live on just nuts.
Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I am so afraid of going on medication. I am very sensitive to medication and can rarely take a Tylenol without getting side effects.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you have been hypoglycemic most of your life and now run into pre-D then I would suggest no you cannot safely eat fruits. I will tag @daisy1 who will give the newcomer information which is very comprehensive, but also @Brunneria who also was hypoG most of her life finally slipping into D through pre-D. I would suggest that you need to reduce your consumption of carbs and most sugars (especially fructose).

I have never heard that eggs cause it but don;t believe everything you read without evidence.
If you have weight to lose then this is the best way to remove your pre-D and sometimes D but you are likely to slip back to hypoG state when you eat carbs. This is because your body over compensates for the amount of insulin it needs (many reasons why). The solution is simple - don't eat things that generate the requirement for large amounts of insulin.

I am sure brunn will have some good advice for you

Reactions: 4 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@mshumph

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find this useful. Ask more questions you and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!
And thanks for tagging Mr @Andrew Colvin
It certainly looks like your info sources are conflicting!

I'm afraid I am off out for several hours this morning, but will be back later with more info and some links.

In the meantime, I will quickly tell you what I do to control both reactive hypoglycaemia and what is now type 2 d.

Since carbs (even complex carbs) cause rh if I eat more than small amounts, I live on meat, fish, eggs (yup, they are fine!), non starchy veg, nuts (lovely things!), seeds (chia), a few berries, cheese, cream, butter, coconut oil, olive oil, and a few supplements incl omega 3,

Off course I'm human, and stray a bit, but generally stick to 20-50g carbs a day, and feel great on it.

It is a blessed relief after the endless hypo misery!

Back later...

Reactions: 2 people

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
A very warm welcome to you @mshumph . You've come to the right place to get advice from people who have lots of experience in managing diabetes and I'm sure you'll get the help you need.

mshumph

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you all so very much.
So glad to hear that I can eat salmon, eggs and cheese again. I do take salmon oil pills, chromium picolinate and cinnamon extract.
I have no weight to lose.
I can definitely stay away from the fruit. I will only miss watermelon. lol.
Thank you Brunneria. I will wait for those links.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all,
Having been hypoglycemic most of my life, I was still shocked at this diagnosis. I am not overweight. I exercise 4-5 times daily---lifting weights and/or riding my stationary bike. I eat no simple sugars.
The doctor gave me no maintenance guidance. In fact, she discussed with me how I would be treated with meds, how I'd need frequent doctor's visits, how my feet would have to be checked regularly. Never once did she say that this could be reversed. I was scared to death. I watched my sister die from diabetes complications after having a leg amputated.
I hit the internet looking for help. I purchased books. I then found that this condition can indeed be reversed. However, each book gave conflicting information that totally confused me. Thus, I decided to give up red meat. Then I read yesterday that eggs could cause and worsen diabetes. So today I decided to go vegan. However, I have questions that hopefully some of you can answer.
I hate rice. So adding that to my diet is out. I've decided to stick with my morning smoothies that I've done for years, minus the protein powder. I'm fine with beans, greens or a salad for lunch/dinner.
Here are my questions.
Can the doctor accurately diagnose this condition without giving me either the fasting or oral blood sugar tests?
Can I safely eat fruits like melons, strawberries, raspberries and blueberries, or do they need to be limited?
I love to grab a handful of nuts for munching. Do I need to control the portion size for this?
My biggest problem is skipping meals for I am not a big eater. I hear this is a no, no with this condition. So, I usually drink one of those Glucerma drinks or grab a handful of nuts. Actually, I could live on just nuts.
Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I am so afraid of going on medication. I am very sensitive to medication and can rarely take a Tylenol without getting side effects.
You have asked what to do. What the answer is to most of the questions is reduce your carbs and sugars, increase your protein (eggs are fine, I eat at least 4 a day), even red meat is good, in moderation. Everything for prediabetic is fine as long as it is in moderation and you are in control of your blood glucose levels.
Control is the key to a healthy future and diet is the most important part of it.
Smaller plate size is important, I eat little and often. Don't skip meals.
Fruit is full of fructose and fruit concentration is not recommended. But if you eat a handful of berries, that should be ok.
Be wary of anything processed and low or no fat, as the fat is replaced by sugar.
There are hidden sugars every where.
Stay away from grains and cereals, even, the 'healthy' ones.
You are correct about the rice.
You said you have been Hypoglycaemia, can you elaborate on how you control it?
Do you know the best way to test and record your blood glucose levels?
If you document everything, you can show your doctor and show how you are doing.
Ask more questions as confusion reigns, when diagnosed.

Reactions: 2 people

mshumph

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you so much for this info.
All my life I've controlled my hypoglycemia through exercise and eliminating simple sugars.
In the 90s, I gained about 8 pounds and went on the Atkins diet. Since then, I've always checked for hidden sugars.
Actually, according to your info, I was doing the right things. Then, after reading these books on reversing it, I got on the wrong track. One book says no eggs and fish, while another says in moderation. Well, I eat a boiled egg every morning and salmon mostly every dinner. As I said previously, I'm not s big eater. There are very few foods that I like. Books were taking away the few foods I like. Books then said absolutely no dairy foods. I love cheese and cottage cheese. So I turned to eating strawberries and melons everyday, with my nuts, just to have something to eat. I have felt terrible for weeks now. So I think it was too much fructose for me.
I do measure and weigh everything I eat and stay at 1000 - 1400 calories daily. I eat relatively healthy. So that's why I was so confused about why I was feeling so badly. Yes. I do best on more proteins. I don't eat red meat. I have high triglycerides. I hate chicken, unless fried, and I eat no fried foods.
Questions.
What should I eat so as not to skip meals? Are these Glucerma drinks really alright for me? I see sugar in them.
How do I test and record my BG levels? Is this the prickling of the fingers?

mshumph

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm afraid that too much protein will hurt my kidneys. So I try to stay at 40 grams daily. That's challenging when I'm also trying to control carbs. Leaves me very little to eat that I like.

mshumph

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Don't mean to hog the conversation, but one more issue.
First, my doctor is new to me. My doctor of 30 years retired. He, of course, knew me quite well. I do all I can to avoid taking medications due to my sensitivity to them.
This doctor really scared me over my high triglycerides. Talked me into taking statin drugs. The first one really made me sick. She swore it wasn't the drug because I had only taken it for 3 days. I think it was because I know my body. So she gave me one with a lower dose, so she said. It is Lovastatin. I've been on this for several months. I have not felt the same since taking this drug. I drag myself through my daily routines. I feel weak and can barely make it to and through my workouts. This is so unlike me since exercise is so much a part of my life. I know it's this drug. I just sent her an email and asked her if I can be taken off this drug. I think I'll feel better without it.
Has anyone else had problems with the statin drugs? Would love hearing others experiences with it, good or bad.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@mshumph - there are many other threads on the forum about the pros and cons of statins if you search around. My advice would be to trust your own body.

robertconroy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
Here are my questions.
Don't mean to hog the conversation, but one more issue.
First, my doctor is new to me. My doctor of 30 years retired. He, of course, knew me quite well. I do all I can to avoid taking medications due to my sensitivity to them.
This doctor really scared me over my high triglycerides. Talked me into taking statin drugs. The first one really made me sick. She swore it wasn't the drug because I had only taken it for 3 days. I think it was because I know my body. So she gave me one with a lower dose, so she said. It is Lovastatin. I've been on this for several months. I have not felt the same since taking this drug. I drag myself through my daily routines. I feel weak and can barely make it to and through my workouts. This is so unlike me since exercise is so much a part of my life. I know it's this drug. I just sent her an email and asked her if I can be taken off this drug. I think I'll feel better without it.
Has anyone else had problems with the statin drugs? Would love hearing others experiences with it, good or bad.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you so much for this info.
All my life I've controlled my hypoglycemia through exercise and eliminating simple sugars.
In the 90s, I gained about 8 pounds and went on the Atkins diet. Since then, I've always checked for hidden sugars.
Actually, according to your info, I was doing the right things. Then, after reading these books on reversing it, I got on the wrong track. One book says no eggs and fish, while another says in moderation. Well, I eat a boiled egg every morning and salmon mostly every dinner. As I said previously, I'm not s big eater. There are very few foods that I like. Books were taking away the few foods I like. Books then said absolutely no dairy foods. I love cheese and cottage cheese. So I turned to eating strawberries and melons everyday, with my nuts, just to have something to eat. I have felt terrible for weeks now. So I think it was too much fructose for me.
I do measure and weigh everything I eat and stay at 1000 - 1400 calories daily. I eat relatively healthy. So that's why I was so confused about why I was feeling so badly. Yes. I do best on more proteins. I don't eat red meat. I have high triglycerides. I hate chicken, unless fried, and I eat no fried foods.
Questions.
What should I eat so as not to skip meals? Are these Glucerma drinks really alright for me? I see sugar in them.
How do I test and record my BG levels? Is this the prickling of the fingers?
If you have read the RH threads, I always advise that you get referred to a consultant who knows about hypoglycaemia. As there are many forms of it.
I'm not bothered by calories only carbs and sugars.
I believe you are not eating enough full fat to supplement low carbs and calories, maybe salt as well.
Only tests can tell you this.
A blood glucose meter is essential to record what you eat and drink. Yes the pricking of finger! The glycerol drinks, I have never heard of them, but it sounds like it's full of glucose, which is aimed baddie!

If you look in the low carb forum you will find heaps of recipes and ideas on what to eat.
Keep asking questions. You have to learn what you can eat and what you can't.

Last edited by a moderator:

mshumph

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks. I will look for recipes. Doctor took me off the Lovastatin today and
hoping I'll feel better. I honestly felt good before taking that stuff.

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya

You need to check the nutritional info on the glycerin drinks they are usually really high in carbs, which is a no no.

mshumph

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've discarded the drink. It has 6g of added sugar. I don't really feel bad after drinking it, but think I'm better focusing on protein and more healthy fats.
When I was on Atkins I ate a lot of red meat and never felt bad. Now I feel so bad I can't get to my exercise, and I never miss exercising.
I printed out a copy of my tests from 4 months ago. I'm not sure how to read my blood glucose. I've perused the forum and looked at other's readings. However, I'm in the U.S.and my readings are in mg/dl and other readings that don't seem to coordinate with other's results. Can someone help me? My HGBA1C is 6.4%. The range shows 4.5-5.6%. I am totally confused with my pre-diabetic diagnosis.