Diagnosed 4 months ago. Questions.

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Rillium, I am picking up my meter tomorrow. Hopefully, that helps me. I have no weight to lose. But I'm not a big eater. I have trouble reaching 1000 cals. But my carbs are always high. I eat lots of red kidney beans and lots of collard greens which are high in carbs and lots of nuts. However, they keep me satisfied. Lately, I've taken to drinking a Glucerma drink to ease the hunger pains. That is 19 net carbs right there. Just took the Atkins assessment test that suggested 18-20 carbs daily. Don't know how I'll do that without starving. Guess I'll be returning to making my own green protein smoothies with salmon and a little broccoli for dinner. This is the only way I can maintain 18-20 carbs daily. But this will not keep me full.
Looking forward to getting that meter to help me through this. Thanks.

With your meter you will be able to see how do you respond to different foods, since you said you don't need to lose weight I don't see why wouldn't you be able to eat more carbs in the form of healthy and larger vegs portions.

When I am not trying to lose weight I do include pulses (black beans, red kidney beans, chickpeas, lentils) but it is important to measure them to see how the BGs react to them.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
@mehhh2015 those are great food suggestions! i am noting them down. i swear, your food is some of the best on this site, lol.

Reactions: 2 people

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@mehhh2015 those are great food suggestions! i am noting them down. i swear, your food is some of the best on this site, lol.

To be honest, my food is very very simple (verging on very boring) because I don't like spending much time in the kitchen just cooking for myself, but it works for me.

Rillum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband makes the chocolate mousse for me, a whopping portion that's divided into 12 portions and kept in the freezer. I'll find the recipe for you.
I think it would be great for you to use a meter and see how many carbs you can tolerate. Just check that your 1-hour BG is lower than 7.8 as explained here: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045621.php?no_redirect=true

mshumph

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Finally picked up my meter & accessories today. Now I have to learn how to use it. Then build the courage to prick my finger. I'm such s wimp. Wish me luck.

Reactions: 3 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Finally picked up my meter & accessories today. Now I have to learn how to use it. Then build the courage to prick my finger. I'm such s wimp. Wish me luck.
Set your lancet device to the lowest setting - usually 1 out of 5. this should be enough to get enough blood. if not, increase to the next setting. if not much blood comes out, squeeze your finger. Warm fingers are better than cold fingers at releasing blood.

Also, don't prick the pad of your fingertip, prick the side, it usually hurts less. Any questions, just ask... I'll be here for the next while :)

mshumph

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks CatLadyNZ. I've been procrastinating. Will start using on Monday.

mshumph

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@mehhh2015, my food has been quite boring as well. But I do love red kidneys. I will keep weighing and measuring everything. Hopefully, I can increase my healthy carbs.
I am longing for an apple with my natural peanut butter occasionally in place of celery.
That would be a big treat.

mshumph

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I finally mustered the courage to learn to use the glucose testing meter.
2 hours after eating pistachios and a protein drink consisting of spinach, avocados, cacao, protein powder, cinnamon, chia seeds and unsweetened coconut milk, my level was 121 mg/dl (6.71mmol). I was very disappointed. I read that I need to decrease it by 11mg. I don't know what else I can do. I don't need to lose weight. I stay at 20-40g carbs daily. I exercise. Should I be panicked after one test? I had no sleep the night before the test, so I was quite tired. Could that have caused it? Suggestions please.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
absolutely nothing wrong with 6.7 so why are you disappointed?

Rillum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
That's ok, could be better of course but not bad.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I finally mustered the courage to learn to use the glucose testing meter.
2 hours after eating pistachios and a protein drink consisting of spinach, avocados, cacao, protein powder, cinnamon, chia seeds and unsweetened coconut milk, my level was 121 mg/dl (6.71mmol). I was very disappointed. I read that I need to decrease it by 11mg. I don't know what else I can do. I don't need to lose weight. I stay at 20-40g carbs daily. I exercise. Should I be panicked after one test? I had no sleep the night before the test, so I was quite tired. Could that have caused it? Suggestions please.

Where have you read that 6.7 is bad?

It is a good reading. The NHS recommend being under 7.8 at 2 hours, and you blew that out of the water!

Some of us choose to aim lower, for any number of reasons. But it is something that is always a choice, and definitely not obligatory.

And yes, stress and sleep deprivation definitely affect readings.

All i can suggest is that you try to introduce testing as a normal part of your life. You will soon discover that interpreting bg readings are more of an art than a science, and that there are daily variations, meter and strips vary a bit, and we all learn to take these things with a pinch of salt.

I think you are doing brilliantly.

Reactions: 3 people

mshumph

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That makes me feel so much better Brunneria. I read online that 6.7 was bad. Yea! I know! Online, really!
I will keep on doing what I'm doing and strive to become proficient in this art of glucose readings. Lol.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
That's a good number and anything BUT bad. You'll find much better advice here than on the web when it comes to BS levels.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have found it pays to look at several readings over a day or or few days. I try to remember not to place much store in a single reading. And 6.7 is great. Anything under 7.8 is fine. Even if you went over 7.8 for a few hours or days, it's not a big deal. It's when we are over that level most of the time for weeks or months that it becomes an issue.

mshumph

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm a little peeved.
I asked my doctor to prescribe the meter, due to the help I'm receiving in this forum. She sends me an email to test my glucose once a week. No instructions on what I'm looking for, how I'm suppose to respond to readings, nothing. She gave me no instructions to cut carbs, how and what to eat, nothing. Thank God I did my own research because she was ready to just put me on drugs. She knows that I am sensitive to drugs and try to avoid them. I sometimes believe that doctors and hospitals are in bed with the pharmaceutical companies.
Sorry. I just had to vent.
Thanks to this forum and the help, courage and hope I'm gaining through all your comments, suggestions and material.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That is the problem. They (the medical profession) do not want to tell people to test several times a day as that mounts up in test strips and therefore cost. So they say test once per day. However, testing once per day really tells you nothing so they cannot tell you what to look for. Hence they say do not test.

Did you get your meter then?

mshumph

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all. Thanks for your responses.
Yes. I did get my meter. I started testing on 9/5. I do it sometimes twice daily post meals. Only did it once before a meal.
Strangely, when I test anytime between 7:30a and 9:00p, I get a reading of 6.4 - 6.8. It doesn't matter what I've eaten or if I have exercised. When I test after 9:00p, again no matter what I've eaten or activities, it's 5.2 - 5.4. I wonder what causes this huge difference. I admit that I am a night person. My energy level peaks between 8:00p & 9:00p.
I have insomnia and rarely sleep much during the night. So I find myself taking anywhere between a 10m - 120m sleep, during the day. This usually refreshes me.

Rillum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
In the morning, the liver produces glucose and releases it to the blood. It's popularly called a liver dump. So for most people, there's a rise in blood sugar in the morning.