Diagnosed on 22nd December 2016 type 2

Nicole46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I have been pre-diabetic for years my recent 3 month glucose test confirmed I now have diabetes type 2. Suffered with chronic pancreaticis and have liver problems. My grandmother had type 2 diabetes in later life wasn't detected until she suffered with ulcers on feet and eventually went blind, my sister is pre-diabetic. I was prescribed by the practice nurse metformin 500mg once a day for 2weeks then 2aday after. I haven't taken the medication due to the warning not to take if you have liver problems I have chirrosis so need to discuss with my gp. I've tested my blood on waking up it was 5.5 but 2 hours after my breakfast which was bran flakes and glass of tomatoes juice it's 12.2 that seems high? I had the same breakfast yesterday and my blood sugar was 5.8 Any advice would be great.
Happy new year to you all.

Last edited:
Reactions: callyandy

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning @Nicole46.

If you look around this forum, you will find lots of people trying a low carb lifestyle and that fatty liver diseases also responds to a low carb diet. You're breakfast was probably high carb and that sent your blood sugars shooting up !

Try looking into he low carb alternatives shown in the diet section on here.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi I have been pre-diabetic for years my recent 3 month glucose test confirmed I now have diabetes type 2. Suffered with chronic pancreaticis and have liver problems. My grandmother had type 2 diabetes in later life wasn't detected until she suffered with ulcers on feet and eventually went blind, my sister is pre-diabetic. I was prescribed by the practice nurse metformin 500mg once a day for 2weeks then 2aday after. I haven't taken the medication due to the warning not to take if you have liver problems I have chirrosis so need to discuss with my gp. I've tested my blood on waking up it was 5.5 but 2 hours after my breakfast which was bran flakes and glass of tomatoes juice it's 12.2 that seems high? Any advice would be great.

Hello Nicole46,Happy New Year to you
@daisy1 will give you the info pack for new posters,please have a read and come back with your q's the key to lowering blood sugars is to understand that most foods we eat turn turn into glucose,the more we understand which food groups we can eat( and how much) then we can test with a bs meter and control our bs's
Most people here control by lchf regime and testing on waking then before a meal and at one and two hours after so as to know how our blood responds to different foods this really is key ,clive

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Nicole46 and welcome
I found I couldn't manage any cereal for breakfast so now have eggs. You could try that another day and see what happens. Your fasting reading was great so hopefully if you can find sensible food choices readings after meals will come down.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I have been pre-diabetic for years my recent 3 month glucose test confirmed I now have diabetes type 2. Suffered with chronic pancreaticis and have liver problems. My grandmother had type 2 diabetes in later life wasn't detected until she suffered with ulcers on feet and eventually went blind, my sister is pre-diabetic. I was prescribed by the practice nurse metformin 500mg once a day for 2weeks then 2aday after. I haven't taken the medication due to the warning not to take if you have liver problems I have chirrosis so need to discuss with my gp. I've tested my blood on waking up it was 5.5 but 2 hours after my breakfast which was bran flakes and glass of tomatoes juice it's 12.2 that seems high? I had the same breakfast yesterday and my blood sugar was 5.8 Any advice would be great.
Happy new year to you all.

Happy New Year to you! And welcome to the forum.

It was most likely the Bran Flakes that caused that spike, plus any milk you added, although it does seem a bit high even for that. Did you wash and dry your hands before you tested? Even a microscopic bit of something on your fingers can cause a rogue reading. Always worth re-testing when that happens - and there is always the odd dodgy strip in the tub.

Carbs are always a problem for us as they all convert to glucose once inside the system, so it makes sense to reduce the quantity we eat, and the starchy ones are the worst. Cereals are a complete no-no for me. Bread, spuds, rice and pasta are also danger foods. Perhaps if you keep a food diary including portion sizes and test before and 2 hours after eating, recording your levels alongside your food, you will learn which foods to either avoid or cut the portion sizes. It is a long learning curve, but all the information you need is on this forum and website, and questions are encouraged!

Nicole46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Happy New Year to you! And welcome to the forum.

It was most likely the Bran Flakes that caused that spike, plus any milk you added, although it does seem a bit high even for that. Did you wash and dry your hands before you tested? Even a microscopic bit of something on your fingers can cause a rogue reading. Always worth re-testing when that happens - and there is always the odd dodgy strip in the tub.

Carbs are always a problem for us as they all convert to glucose once inside the system, so it makes sense to reduce the quantity we eat, and the starchy ones are the worst. Cereals are a complete no-no for me. Bread, spuds, rice and pasta are also danger foods. Perhaps if you keep a food diary including portion sizes and test before and 2 hours after eating, recording your levels alongside your food, you will learn which foods to either avoid or cut the portion sizes. It is a long learning curve, but all the information you need is on this forum and website, and questions are encouraged!
Hi I just did 3 hours after my breakfast and it's 5.7 so a good drop. I probably had a bigger bowl of cearel and more milk. I have downloaded a diabetes diary app so I can now log everything on it blood results meals to see for myself and show the nurse. I will need to keep an eye on portion sizes and try not to leave it too long before I eat something I do suffer with low blood sugar a lot. Thank you for the advice.

A

asparagusp

You're breakfast was probably high carb and that sent your blood sugars shooting up !

The poster said he had the same breakfast the day before and that his post prandial reading was fine.

He needs to try it again and if again the reading is high then probably the problem is the bran flakes. One of these two readings was wrong!

Last edited by a moderator:

krs1958

Happy new year. I'm on a 1500 calorie diet and the best way I have found to portion control is to weight cereals ect and measure milk I use on the cereal. I mostly eat oatmeal in a morning with a piece of fruit. I measure out everything I eat and its working. Good luck with your diabetes management

Reactions: Nicole46

Nicole46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The poster said he had the same breakfast the day before and that his post prandial reading was fine.

He needs to try it again and if again the reading is high then probably the problem is probably the bran flakes. One of these two readings was wrong!
Hi I'm a she not a he lol and yes I'm going to just try it again tomorrow and stick to the same portion of cearel and take it from there.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You would be far better going on a Low Carb diet, it seems weird, but it's the best thing by far, thousands and thousands of people, just like you, have turned their diabetes around, reversed fatty liver disease and restored their health. You can just follow the Low Carbohydrate Programme on this website.

Recent research has proven that the diet health hypothesis on which the current dietary advice, not just for the general public but for diabetics in particular is incorrect. Scientists have recently discovered research from the late 60s and early 70s that was never published, proved that there was no evidence to back up the advice to eat cereals and drink fruit juice. You could turn your blood glucose around in as little as 2 weeks, and with no medication. Most doctors and almost all dietitians have not caught up with the recent thinking, but one GP, Dr David Unwin in Southport, who is advocating a Low Carb High Fat Diet for his diabetic patients has improved the health of those patients and has saved tens of thousands from his prescription budget. He was awarded an NHS award this year, as was another doctor promoting the same ideas (I have forgotten her name). It will take some years for mainstream diabetes treatment advice and treatment to change, I am sure, but I am equally sure that the change is coming. You have the opportunity to take control of your own health and future.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Nicole46 - Happy New Year to you too, and welcome abroad.

Well done on testing your bloods right from the start. It will stand you in good stead.

My message may be a little different to some of the other on here, in that I would suggest that you spend a couple of week eating exactly as you did, pre-diagnosis, but recording both what you ate and the matching blood scores, then look back on those results and see if there are any really stand-out foods or meals that make your bloods sky rocket.

I can't tell how far over the diagnostic threshold you were this time around, but if it wasn't nby much, you may not have to drastically alter your diet to be in a "good place" again.

Very many on here use the reduced carb diet to manage our conditions - with or without other medication, but as most things, there are usually personal nuances in there we need to discover. For example, some people can eat porridge, or bread, or fruit and others just can't. So we do need to find these things out for ourselves.

My rationale in suggesting you maintain your pre-diagnostic diet for a couple of weeks is so that you can be reassured you're not going to be giving up anything needlessly. If you're one of the lucky ones who can eat bread or potatoes (or whatever), and you enjoy it, why give it up if it does you no harm?

We all approach this slightly differently, but take your time and you'll get there.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Nicole46

Hello Nicole and welcome to the forum :) As you will have seen from previous posts, it is important to control the carbs in your diet as they will increase your levels. Here is the basic information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 220,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Reactions: Nicole46

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The reason I recommended what many regard as very very low carb is because of what @Nicole46 said about liver damage /cirrhosis. A strict low carb diet is enormously effective at reducing fatty deposits in the liver. It is carbohydrates that are converted into fatty deposits in the liver and are converted to triglycerides in the blood. In my humble opinion, anybody with a raft of medical problems is best off, in the first instance, avoiding medication because most medications come with a downside / adverse effects. I radically changed my diet when first prediabetic, or first diagnosed as such and I now have entirely normal bg readings always, never above 6.5 and I have eliminated high blood pressure and fatty liver, raised my HDL, lowered my trigs to superb levels. In 5 years I have lost 25 kg and restored my health totally. And I feel sad when I read of people continuing to eat large amounts of carbs when the alternative is so easy and satisfying. At the end of the day @Nicola46 will make her own decision about her management of the disease. Like her I have a very strong family history of diabetes, I am determined to avoid joining that club, and with the right advice and encouragement @Nicole46 could too.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found exactly the same effects as @AtkinsMo including improvements in liver function. It is of course possible that one of the readings was in error and re testing with definitely cleaned hands will help that I have had a couple of out of the blue shock readings of 18 + seemingly from nowhere with that exact cause. However in any event with the medical conditions listed it sounds like low carb would be beneficial.

Good luck whatever way you decide to go !

Nicole46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Before my breakfast it was 4.8 so I'm going to have to change what I have for breakfast the bran flakes and milk seem to give me high glucose today 2 hours after my breakfast it was 8.2 I think it was lower than 12.2 from yesterday only a because I've been very busy this morning. I will just log everything I eat and my reading after to see what suits me. Thank you all for some great advice given on how to go from here. I'm seeing my gp tomorrow to discuss the medication given to me.

Nicole46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Nicole46

Hello Nicole and welcome to the forum :) As you will have seen from previous posts, it is important to control the carbs in your diet as they will increase your levels. Here is the basic information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 220,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Thank you for so much information I'm finding it very useful.

A

asparagusp

Before my breakfast it was 4.8 so I'm going to have to change what I have for breakfast the bran flakes and milk seem to give me high glucose today 2 hours after my breakfast it was 8.2 I think it was lower than 12.2 from yesterday only a because I've been very busy this morning. I will just log everything I eat and my reading after to see what suits me. Thank you all for some great advice given on how to go from here. I'm seeing my gp tomorrow to discuss the medication given to me.
Hi Nicole. 8.2 is within the post prandial range which is less than 8.5/ I would eat the same breakfast for the next few days and see what your subsequent readings are. There will be some variation due to say temperature/whatever., but a trend will be observed.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I agree you need to have a change. That rise of 3.4mmol/l is a significant one. This is a long learning curve, but keeping a detailed food diary and recording levels alongside is the best way to learn. It is also worth noting that any insulin resistance improves slightly as the day progresses, so carbs at breakfast isn't always a wise choice.