Diagnosed T2 a week ago.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
As I said in my earlier post, there are more opinions than people posting, the way I found worked for me was to test after meals to see what my body could tolerate in terms of carbs. This also meant cutting down snacks between meals as I had to allow 2 hours after eating so my consumption of tea and coffee escalated. I try to eat low carb and healthy fats, the trouble is I have found a cheeseman at the local market who has some cheeses normally only found at delis at very reasonable rates. By keeping to the diet and by walk, walk, walking I lost weight, increased the level of fats to balance the weight loss to being stable for this last year.
There are days when I get home from work and test to see what my bg level is before I eat in the evening and it is mid-4s, but I just feel mildly hungry, and I did not stuff myself with carbs to raise the level but sat for the evening researching material to write an essay for a course I am following, no fuzzy thinking there. Most mornings my fasting bg is around 5 so I feel happy with that, particularly considering that it has been a stressful year at work. We all need to find our own way and find what our bodies will tolerate, low carb combined with eating to meter is not for everyone but is an option, as is intermittent fasting, very low carb, and even (dare I say it) the Eatwell plate although the latter got me to the place I am in now. When first diagnosed it is scary, what can be eaten? So much food seems to have sugar or flour added. Taking things one step at a time, trying something at least a couple of times until you find the way forward takes time and that first 3 months seems to disappear with incredible speed. View it as an adventure to finding out more about yourself, and remember a little of what you fancy does you good.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And I'm being honest about being sceptical of the diet heart hypothesis
I thought it sounded rude to say you were sceptical like saying you did not believe what he said . Not very nice having someone say they are sceptical about something that the person has done and said worked for them

Reactions: Roy_Scobie

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Concerning the OP's questions about fat. I seem to be managing on a low-carb, fairly low-fat diet. Most of my fats come from avocado, olive oil, cheese, meats, and sometimes fatty fish. I seem to have plenty of energy, or at least, about the same level as when I was eating all those carbs pre-diagnosis. I have been doing this for about 11 months and am still alive, so the energy must be coming from somewhere although I am not sure where....

Reactions: Roy_Scobie

Roy_Scobie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Concerning the OP's questions about fat. I seem to be managing on a low-carb, fairly low-fat diet. Most of my fats come from avocado, olive oil, cheese, meats, and sometimes fatty fish. I seem to have plenty of energy, or at least, about the same level as when I was eating all those carbs pre-diagnosis. I have been doing this for about 11 months and am still alive, so the energy must be coming from somewhere although I am not sure where....
Hi and thanks. Your approach is largely in line with what I hope to follow. I will be watching my carb intake while trying not to increase my saturated fat intake. Fingers crossed!

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and thanks. Your approach is largely in line with what I hope to follow. I will be watching my carb intake while trying not to increase my saturated fat intake. Fingers crossed!

I cannot remember whether you "need" to lose weight. Theoretically I did not "need" to slim down but for the first two months after diagnosis I deliberately lowered the calorie count sharply (in addition to going low-carb) because I wanted to get rid of my "beer paunch" which I blamed (and still blame) for helping bring on the diabetes. The effort was successful, and obviously it entailed not just much lower carbs but also much lower fat (and lower protein, lower everything....).

After two months, I abandoned this "portion control" because by then I had successfully "reversed" the diabetes and did not think it necessary to lose any more weight. Abandoning the "portion control" also entailed adopting something more like "moderate fat" as described in my earlier post.

Roy_Scobie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I cannot remember whether you "need" to lose weight. Theoretically I did not "need" to slim down but for the first two months after diagnosis I deliberately lowered the calorie count sharply (in addition to going low-carb) because I wanted to get rid of my "beer paunch" which I blamed (and still blame) for helping bring on the diabetes. The effort was successful, and obviously it entailed not just much lower carbs but also much lower fat (and lower protein, lower everything....).

After two months, I abandoned this "portion control" because by then I had successfully "reversed" the diabetes and did not think it necessary to lose any more weight. Abandoning the "portion control" also entailed adopting something more like "moderate fat" as described in my earlier post.
I don't need to lose weight as I'm now lighter than at any time in the last 30yrs and my bmi is bang on where it should be. I currently have a blocked bile duct, enlarged pancreas and poor liver function, all diagnosed at the same time as Type 2. This causes severe tiredness so exercise is almost impossible at the moment, therefore I'm controlling portion size so my weight doesn't rise again. Hopefully once I can resume exercise I can also slowly increase portion size.