Diagnosed today

S

Sean01

Someone on here told me even bacon medalions, low fat ones were no good!!!! There are some right preachers arent there??
High fat/low fat is not the issue.
Carbs IS the issue.
I use a local butcher. I buy all my meat in bulk - including the bacon - it's a week end treat and occasional comfort food.
I control my diabetes by sticking to foods which have a low glycemic index. In other words = foods which do not cause a spike in blood sugar. This list could include complex carbs but I have also cut them out too. I do not eat bread, pasta , rice, potatoes, or similar.
I exercise every day.
I do not watch the fat. I enjoy the fat - it really is where the flavour molecules are. Since Oct 15 I've lost 6 stone. I feel great, never hungry and food wise - never bored!

Everybody is different. There are lots of types of diabetes. not just T1 and T2. A lot of people have additional complications/health issues/medication and have been living with their conditions for varying numbers of years. This may account for their differences of opinions. I'm sure one or two will preech. I've seen one or two that think they know it all. The really clever ones are the ones who know a lot but realise there is so much more to learn and realise that everybody's journey will be different.

There are a few shared basic rules. You may possibly need to reconsider your stance on fats. Fats is no longer the enemy. (there are good and bad fats mind you, but the clever thing t managing any cholesterol problems is not necessarily to lower fats, but to get the good fats and the bad fats in the correct proportions.

Good luck

Reactions: 2 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
What might be worthwhile to add, is that carbs make you hungry! They fill quickly but turn to glucose and trigger hunger, full fat foods don't. It doesn't mean drowning things in oil, but swapping low fat versions for full fat, which satiates much better, and keeps you fuller for longer.

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
According to some on the site i cant have anything!!
It's all very depressing and a shock isn't it? Don't worry about what other people say as everyone is different! I drink a reasonable amount of diet coke and I am fine with it, same with bacon. But the only way you will know is to test yourself before and then 2 hours after (personally I think 1 hour is a bit obsessive but that's just my point of view).

I also find it hard to think High Fat. I have recently started Slimming World (did Rosemary Conley for years) and have started to finally lose weight! You don't have to do LCHF - I'm doing low carb, low fat and it is working for me at the moment!

It all feels like a huge mountain for a while but it does get easier as you learn what you can and can't eat. Well done on your 8.3, not bad for such early days!;)

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eating full fat will take some getting used to!

The easiest way to do it is just to swap like for like, but the full fat variants. Don't initially go for anything complicated, but if you used reduced fat spreadable butter, like the Kerrygold one, then just swap it for the "proper" variant of Kerrygold.

Of course, you may not use that product or brand, but you see what I mean? The shifts in flavour are then minimal, but you're getting the additional benefits of full fat. There's no need to make it too complicated.

Why not try making a list of things you like to eat, then cross reference with what makes sense to eat in your new world? You might be surprised how much you have going for you, and how many of your existing meals might just needs a couple of tweaks.

Different isn't necessarily worse. Different is just that, a bit different, until it becomes the new norm.

neety41

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I can eat seeded bread and my sugars are ok, also nibbled on strawberries, bananas and raspberries today, all good

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fats can be the enemy when u thinking about cancer risks tho too

Do you have any research to support that as there is growing trend to ketogenic (essentially pretty low carb) diets for cancer sufferers.

Last year I had a raft of test that looked somewhat tricky for a while, and I would have definitely got myself into ketosis had the diagnosis been the big C. Thankfully, I didn't have to cross that bridge!

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Do you have any research to support that as there is growing trend to ketogenic (essentially pretty low carb) diets for cancer sufferers.

Last year I had a raft of test that looked somewhat tricky for a while, and I would have definitely got myself into ketosis had the diagnosis been the big C. Thankfully, I didn't have to cross that bridge!

Yes, I'd like to know where neety got this information, especially as she has mentioned she is an A&E, and a practice nurse? Its the first I've heard of it too.
My Oncologist said that reduction of sugars is definitely beneficial - but no mention of fats.

neety41

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I have just been to a cancer conference and have info in front of me saying not too eat too much red meat as they increase the bowel cancer and prostate cancer!!!
f34f0bf2aab95fe4331595afb250abcf.jpg

neety41

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Just discussed this with one of the GPs and it's difficult to lower sugars but also not too much red meat and so on-basically a little of everything is better! But the increase of fats such as butter and cream he wasn't to keen on from a cholesterol point of view! All a catch 22 in my opinion

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My cholesterol has improved a lot in recent years and I live on butter. More or less! Organic butter.

There is one thing that really scares me and it's the consequences of high blood sugar.

Reactions: 3 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just been to a cancer conference and have info in front of me saying not too eat too much red meat as they increase the bowel cancer and prostate cancer!!!
f34f0bf2aab95fe4331595afb250abcf.jpg

With respect, red meat and fats aren't the same, as you know.

We each need to find our balance points, where our results balance with the risks we are each willing to take. Further balance points include whether or not medication comes into the mix.

In some areas, such a sweeteners, to a degree, I take the view that although I consume some (not massive amounts of sweeteners), in order to help me deal with an issue I have today with blood sugars, versus the potential I they could have an impact further down the line.

Reactions: 8 people

NurseDee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just discussed this with one of the GPs and it's difficult to lower sugars but also not too much red meat and so on-basically a little of everything is better! But the increase of fats such as butter and cream he wasn't to keen on from a cholesterol point of view! All a catch 22 in my opinion
I am also a Nurse (District and Treatment Room). I was diagnosed as Type 2 .... 2yrs ago and my expertise was as stated above so i followed guidelines (HCLF). I got sicker, fatter, was diagnosed with fatty liver and ended up on Metformin, Statins and Hypertension meds. My fasting blood levels were always above 13mmols.

I found this forum about 6 months ago and began a low carb normal fat diet about 2 months ago. I now have lost 1and a half stones... no longer require Hypertension meds or statins and fasting levels are already 6.8mmols and bed time levels at 4.6mmols. I have more energy and i finally feel well!! The people on this forum have been a fantastic guidance to me.

Red meat in moderation....couple of times a week is what i do. I have chicken, turkey, pork, and fish the rest of the time. Oh and i live on organic butter. I know what the NHS guidelines are and i know i feel obliged to trust but my GP actually told me to follow Trudi Deakins lchf diet so there is perhaps a chance of opinions changing within healthcare. He is delighted with the changes in diet and lifestyle that has improved my health and prognosis.

My advice is to be open minded and do a little research in this forum and indeed on the internet. The evidence is there

Reactions: 6 people
S

Sean01

Fats can be the enemy when u thinking about cancer risks tho too
Choose your battles. I had a heart attack in my early 40's. Thanks to diabetes, I now expect to live a longer and healthier life - it was a wake up call. Cancer used to be relatively rare compared to today. There is no link that I am aware off between eating the correct fats and cancer, but there is a definite link between diabetes and its legion of related complications and carbs.
Fats does NOT mean living on donner kebabs and donuts.
Fats means olive oil, avocados, nuts, cheese, and oily fish like salmon and sardines
Don't confuse over indulgence/ too many calories with eating the correct fats. That would be a rookie mistake.

For now you might have to trust us on this. We all want you to succeed. Try it. Join us. Welcome to the world full of flavour, full happy tummies and on the whole, sensible weight loss!

Those 5 a day guys have really messed with your head!:wacky:

Reactions: 12 people
S

Sean01

Is your GP a diabetic?

I have just come home and eaten a 6 egg omelette. I will have another one at 8 o'clock. My egg guy has just delivered 90 eggs - for me - just as he does every week. I eat read meat, I eat bacon ( I try to avoid salami though! and on one occasion over Christmas I skipped over the cake and ice cream and just ate a small serving of clotted cream.
It is not the amount of fat that causes the 'cholesterol' problem, it is the proportion between good and bad fats that is what needs to be regulated.

My diabetes nurse recommended I increase my fat intake by eating oily fish at least twioce a week. I now make a point of eating at least 5 servings of sardines a week. I have increased my fat intake - but my cholesterol reading will be down when next checked.

Try reading the Michael Mosely book on diet. He's a doctor - he's one to trust.

There are many on this site who will tell you that their GP's know next to nothing about managing diabetes. . Learn from those with diabetes.

Seriously - we want to help. There is no Catch 22. There is living with and controlling diabetes. That is all.

Reactions: 6 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@neety41 My GP laughed when I told him I would be following a LCHF style diet. At my 3 month review he had stopped laughing but still tried to say that a total Cholesterol of 4.2 was too high. Since then my Cholesterol numbers have got better and better, so he doesn't mention them at all nowadays.

Reactions: 3 people

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with Catlady19 you have to do what you feel is right for you. You don't have to do high saturated fat there are no rules you can get what you need from good oils like olive rapeseed coconut nuts and avocados if you like them. I don't eat red meat, sausages or bacon no cream and very little butter as I don't like them but my levels are good.
You will only tell what you can eat by testing not everyone has to give up the starchy carbs altogether but can manage smaller portions of them. Some people say twice cooked pasta has a lower effect on levels and Lidl protein rolls and Bergen Linseed and Soya bread is good a lot here have those. We are all different and no one can tell you what you can eat or what you can't eat we have to experiment to find out what suits us personally you may find you can eat more than you think you can

Reactions: 4 people