Diagnosed today

melissa1743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a bit of a shock. I went to the docs because of being permanently exhausted, which I personally put down to depression as have had a really dreadful few years. Routine blood tests, then more, and today told by a nurse I have diabetes. It wasn't what I was expecting, and have yet had no medical information/had no more tests about it. The stupid thing is as my father was a diabetic I thought I knew all about it but now I thinking HELP, what do I do, what do I eat?

Of course I will read this forum and get as much info as I can, but as a starting point. not sure what to do. And as I still feel I have depression and a hugely busy life as a foster carer, there is a part of me that finds even the thought of changing meals/shopping/eating habits a huge effort. Just want to go to bed with a mars bar!! Though making that effort will hopefully mean I feel better anyway.

Oh and I can't eat dairy either.

So HELP.

Reactions: Freema

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi .. I was diagnosed last year as type 2 and I can assure you that you are in the right place on here as it has helped me leaps and bounds .There will be plenty of people in here that will advise you and hopefully you will feel like your on the right path. Good luck and take a look at the LCHF eating as it worked for me and lots more.. we are all here for you good luck

KezG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tripe, most shellfish.. mussels, cockles etc...
@melissa1743 Hi and welcome to the forum. It's scary and confusing for many people when they are first diagnosed.. all you can do is take things one step at a time.. read up as much as you can and ask as many questions as you like on here. I'll tag @daisy1 who will hopefully give you some basic info to get you started.

Reactions: Prem51 and Freema

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Eating low carb is very effective in lowering blood glucose, and I'd recommend that you give it a try before agreeing to take tablets.
I was prescribed Metformin and a statin and had an absolutely dreadful few weeks. I stopped taking them but am still suffering the side effects even though by eating a low carb diet I have normal numbers. It is not absolutely certain that you will have the side effects - but I am left still hoping that they will go away after four months.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@melissa1743

Hello Melissa and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it will help you. Ask questions when you need to and someone will answer.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hiya

I was diagnosed over ten years ago - I wish I had found this forum then as I would have immediately started eating the low carb healthy fat way of life.

It is hard to contemplate dealing with something extra when you are fighting depression. If you can't change to the low carb way of life then just see if you can manage to lower the carbs where you can.

You may find that as your blood sugars start to come towards more normal levels then your energy levels may increase and you can tackle your way of eating more rigorously

There are lots of ways to lower the carbs - change potato chips for celeriac chips. Eat above ground vegetables in preference to root vegetables. Swap bread choices - if you have a Lidl near you many forum members swear by their protein rolls (dark brown triangular looking rolls in the fresh bread section) - one of them is much more filling than two slices of bread (and they freeze well)

Have a look around the forum - the low carb section has a "What have you eaten today?" section that may give you some ideas

Hoping your mood and energy lift as you start to come to terms with your diabetes and take some control xxx

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eating low carb is very effective in lowering blood glucose, and I'd recommend that you give it a try before agreeing to take tablets.
I was prescribed Metformin and a statin and had an absolutely dreadful few weeks. I stopped taking them but am still suffering the side effects even though by eating a low carb diet I have normal numbers. It is not absolutely certain that you will have the side effects - but I am left still hoping that they will go away after four months.

I second that, I've normalised both cholesterol and blood sugar with no pills at all from a poor starting point - high cholesterol and very high blood sugar. Of course for many people taking the drugs is necessary at some point, but I would at least start without them because then at least if you do eventually need them you will know how much of a difference that drugs are making. You will start to feel quite a lot better fairly quickly once you get rid of the carbs. it will take a few months to get th sugar out of your system but as you do you should start to feel a whole lot better quite quickly.

I had all sorts of symptoms that I had not realised were even symptoms

inability to sleep
slight nausea , which made me actually sick in the morning a couple of times
extreme tiredness on any kind of exertion
extreme hunger
a constant tickling cough
tingling in my feet
Locking up of my thumbs
carpel tunnel in one hand

ALL OF THESE HAVE GONE in six months even though I still have a further 2-3 stones to lose.
Good luck !

Reactions: Prem51 and Freema

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya

I was diagnosed over ten years ago - I wish I had found this forum then as I would have immediately started eating the low carb healthy fat way of life.

It is hard to contemplate dealing with something extra when you are fighting depression. If you can't change to the low carb way of life then just see if you can manage to lower the carbs where you can.

You may find that as your blood sugars start to come towards more normal levels then your energy levels may increase and you can tackle your way of eating more rigorously

There are lots of ways to lower the carbs - change potato chips for celeriac chips. Eat above ground vegetables in preference to root vegetables. Swap bread choices - if you have a Lidl near you many forum members swear by their protein rolls (dark brown triangular looking rolls in the fresh bread section) - one of them is much more filling than two slices of bread (and they freeze well)

Have a look around the forum - the low carb section has a "What have you eaten today?" section that may give you some ideas

Hoping your mood and energy lift as you start to come to terms with your diabetes and take some control xxx

Hi there, @Ultramum I just noticed your signature - with some lipid numbers in it - are you sure its correct? I don't understand how your trigs can be nearly as big as your total cholesterol ?

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there, @Ultramum I just noticed your signature - with some lipid numbers in it - are you sure its correct? I don't understand how your trigs can be nearly as big as your total cholesterol ?

I double checked it via the online results - Possibly a sign that my carb intake was waaay too high? The blood test was done prior to my taking up the LCHF way of eating - I'm hoping that the next one will be much better.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I double checked it via the online results - Possibly a sign that my carb intake was waaay too high? The blood test was done prior to my taking up the LCHF way of eating - I'm hoping that the next one will be much better.

There is something wrong somewhere.

Total cholesterol is HDL + LDL + 46% of Trigs (UK measurements)

Reactions: Ultramum

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @melissa1743 and welcome to the forum. It is a shock when you get that diagnosis and takes a bit of time to get your head around it all. But you will get a lot of good advice and support on here.
When I was first diagnosed I had no idea what I should eat, my GP only said I shouldn't eat sugary food. I only ate tinned salmon/mayo wholemeal bread sandwiches for about 3 weeks.
There are a lot of food and meal suggestions on this forum and on www.dietdoctor.com.
A lot of us on here have found that adopting a Low Carbohydrate High Fat (LCHF) approach to eating has lowered our blood sugar levels.
Have a read round the threads and ask anything you want to. The people on here are friendly and supportive.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @linlin1963 and welcome to the forum. Well done on controlling your diabetes - there's a bit of discussion on here on whether we can actually 'reverse' our diabetes! :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. I assume you are a T2. Just follow the Low-carb route and see how you go. Do get hold of a glucose meter so you can take control. Finding the right food does get easier; there are just some aisles in the supermarket you may never visit again. You can however have meat, fish, cheese, veg, some fruits and so on together with a low level of good carbs

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi...some very good advice above. Just checking - are you Type 2?
Nobody is in control of their blood sugar when they are diagnosed...otherwise they would not have been diagnosed. Nobody knows exactly what to do at first, and many of us have no clue at that point, so it can be overwhelming. If you are already depressed anyway..it's not exactly a lovely little friend coming to help out.
I was "fortunate" in that I was diagnosed just after a transplant, the diabetes being caused by some meds that were part of my treatment. I say "fortunate" because I was so focused on the success of the transplant and my recovery that the diabetes seemed way less important..so I wasn't rocked by it. That allowed me to accept it more easily and get to grips. I could have take it as another ****** thing to deal with, and I had negative days, but the only way to look at it was as a small battle to meet and to take charge of.
As a result of the following approach, I got things under control (like many other people) and off the meds for diabetes (I had enough other meds to worry about)...and rather than being depressed by it, it increased my sense of being able to control things. That sense of control might counter your depression in part..if you apply yourself to it..which I am sure you will.

Anyway - in brief -
1] make sure you have self-testing meter and strips (buy one if you have to)
2] test before and 2.5 hours after eating (look closely at the figures to aim for in @daisy1's valuable info
3] record those times and readings; record the food eaten (and any meds taken) and you will soon see for yourself what to eat and what not to eat
4] avoid foods which are more than 10g carbohydrate in very 100g (note that carbs are as important as sugar as they turn to glucose in the system)
5] initially cut back on, or stop if you can - bread, cereal, spuds, pasta, rice on top of any sugary rubbish
6] keep your fluid intake up (water, very diluted no-sugar juice etc)
7] indeitfy all the good stuff you can eat and enjoy (include avocados, oily fish and asparagus)
8] you will get the levels down...you will feel more in control

Good luck

melissa1743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much everyone for your brilliant advice so far.

Day One at low carb...as Diabell and others say (thanks)so far so good, though it all took a bit longer than grabbing a sandwich. Also decided not to have cakes and chocolates at home for the children, but we will buy them some when they are out and about.

Maxjoe121 - I worked out what LCHF is!!! Took a while but I got there.

Daisy1 - fantastic basic information, special thanks! Thanks for tagging her KezG.

Resurgam - good luck. Hoping I can at least have a sensible go at controlling things via my diet.

Prem 51 - LOL at your salmon and mayo sandiwches!! Many years ago when my dad was alive and had been diagnosed, my mum insisted he MUST have a a yogurt after every meal (one often full of sugar that he didn't like anyway!!),

Ultramum - all really helpful advice thanks, especially the Lidl bread!

Pleinstar - Yes Type 2. Thanks for sharing your story. Your post made me feel emotional, goodness what you have been through. I'm in this self diagnosed depression. Also have 2 adult sons with special needs at home and care for two foster children, and the subsequent social workers problems they bring (kids are fine, you should see the paperwork). And, as her only relative struggling desperately to pay the care home fees for my mum who has dementia and kidney failure..and of course the trauma of losing the mum I once had. I thought earlier in the week things were as bad as they can be...now this!! But your post in particular, as well as everyone's great advice, has made me realise I can do it, and maybe will even feel better because of it. As Cherry A says maybe the things over the past year may improve greatly, even though I had not put them down to high sugar levels.

I'm wondering if stress can be a factor. Just the unrelenting stress of the past 3 years makes me think something had to give.

Oh, one question to you all. I keep hearing that SOME fruit is OK. Could someone tell me what is and isn't good?

Thanks again ( a million questions to follow).

Reactions: ziggy_w

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You are having a very tough time so don't add to it by being tough on yourself. Stress is a major factor in raising blood glucose levels, even insignificant stress can cause it. Stress hormones are nasty little beggars. Try and find some "me" time, even a soak in the bath with lots of bubbles helps, as does plenty of fresh air.

As for fruit, a meter will tell you which fruits are OK for you. Berries seem to be OK for most of us, but not many at once. A small raw apple should be OK too. It is the tropical fruits that can cause problems, especially bananas and grapes. Fruit should always be eaten as part of a meal, never as a snack, and is best eaten with either a full fat yogurt or cream. I had a disaster once with a single plum, eaten on its own. It shot my levels up to double figures to levels I hadn't seen before! The birds got the rest of the punnet.

Just ask away with your questions.

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh, one question to you all. I keep hearing that SOME fruit is OK. Could someone tell me what is and isn't good?

Thanks again ( a million questions to follow).

Have a look at this page for ideas on fruits:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fruits

If you have time it is a great site to explore and has some fab recipes - Fathead Pizza is my favourite.

Rosiegough_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Evil beings. Destroying our beautiful Planet X