Diagnosed with type 2 this morning..

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hun u shouldnt have had to buy any equipment. The first day that i saw my diabetes nurse I was given a monitor, test strips, results book and a huge stack of reading information.
I would ask at ur surgery if they can help with these. I was lucky after a few months that I saw an add on this forum to see if i would qualify for a new monitor for free, and I was. This new one is more modern and holds more data. Its worth asking hun, u might find it worth jotting down anything that u read on this site that u want to ask next time u go to ur doctors. As far as the booze goes i dont drink anyway but u can but be aware to chck ur sugar level alot because in some people it can go up but in others it goes down. I was told anything in moderation, but remember to test often .
Good luck, and try not to panic, u can do this :-D i did it and i have the sweetest tooth ever lol.

Ani xx

It isn't the same for non-insulin users. Very few of us are given meters or strips on prescription. We have to buy our own I'm afraid. This is general throughout the UK.

Reactions: 2 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Anyway. Am beginning to think I may be becoming one of those "professional patients" as my GP and DSN keep saying "you're so knowledgeable" and I just say diabetes.co.uk forum lol

Reactions: 5 people

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyway. Am beginning to think I may be becoming one of those "professional patients" as my GP and DSN keep saying "you're so knowledgeable" and I just say diabetes.co.uk forum lol
...........and I bet when you leave the room they say "Huh another one of those people who believes everything they read on the internet":D:D

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Lol....just can feel the knives in my back sometimes...

Monday12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here's another question if you all don't mind. Some posters give lots of stats in their signatures about tri-this and Hi-that and whatever. All my GP gave me this morning was the figure of 11.5 for my BLood sugar. Where do all the other stats come from? Self testing? Is my GP keeping stuff from me? I have an appointment to see her in a month's time. Is that too far away for someone newly diagnosed?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Here's another question if you all don't mind. Some posters give lots of stats in their signatures about tri-this and Hi-that and whatever. All my GP gave me this morning was the figure of 11.5 for my BLood sugar. Where do all the other stats come from? Self testing? Is my GP keeping stuff from me? I have an appointment to see her in a month's time. Is that too far away for someone newly diagnosed?
Besides testing yourself with your own blood glucose meter, you absolutely need to get a copy of ALL your lab results from them, including older ones. Get that ASAP. A month may be ok if you have a blood glucose meter and are prepared to cut down on the carbs and test yourself. If your self testing results are really high you may want to go in sooner.

Reactions: 4 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Information is power. The power to make informed decisions based on knowledge and to question decisions made for you by health care professionals. Are these decisions made for the right reasons and how do they affect your imedete and long term health. Request all of your test results and do your homework.

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thanks everyone - what a friendly helpful forum. I'm in Scotland and so don't pay for prescriptions anyway (it's a disgrace that there are different rulse in different parts of the UK, IMO.)

I've ordered a Codefree monitor from Amazon - see, I'm following the great advice here already! It wasn't too expensive - think what I'm going to save not buying stuff from Greggs anyway!

Another quick question - what's the situation with alcohol? A complete no-no? If it's OK in moderation, is wine better than beer?

Thanks again

M12

Hi M12

I'm on insulin and for me beer especial dark stout lowers my BS dramatically.

If you are in good shape, I'd recommend as strenuous weight training as you can. In my experience besides diet, increasing your % of muscles has had a dramatic affect on my lowering my BS.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
11.5 is high BG blood glucose...the trigs, triglycerides HDL LDL and stuff is from the cholesterol and lipid blood test, this video explains it best, as has been said, get copies of your tests
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BFRi-nH1v8
it’s a long page and a few good video’s
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. they don’t give up easy
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree, you must ask for a print out of your blood test results that led to your diagnosis. You are entitled to this. You need to know where you are in the grand scheme of things.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Yes, Metformin is OK with sensible amounts of alcohol; just don't go mad and do read the leaflet. Alcohol doesn't have a big effect on blood sugar. Yes, the NHS diet advice is often appalling something which most of us are well aware of. It's a tragedy that some of this advice will make patients condtion worsee but there are too mnay vested interests for it to change in the short-term. Just keep the carbs down and you should be able to get your BMI into the right range. Your BS readings should also come down.

SuzyMo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought diabetics had all prescription charges waived. I'm fine because I'm in Northern Ireland and we don't pay anything at the moment but this may change in the future.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought diabetics had all prescription charges waived. I'm fine because I'm in Northern Ireland and we don't pay anything at the moment but this may change in the future.

Only those on diabetic medication, but the exemption applies to all prescription medicine. Plus children and pensioners!

SuzyMo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Been a while since I was a child, not a pensioner yet!! On Metformin so safe either way.

Monday12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is my second day on the meds, feeling a little shakey and just "weird". Is this normal?

Jeffretro80s

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I was diagnosed in October and it's been a journey of discovery.
I just read how meds are free once you are diagnosed . Doesn't happen for me. Because at the moment I don't take medication. Yet I still have to test my blood I don't get it free . I would only get it free if I took meds . Not happy I can tell you. :-(

if you avoid certain foods high in carbohydrate and do exersize then that will lower bs as well, medication can worsen the condition to a point you need insulin so if i was you then i wouldnt worry too much without medication, i been off medication for over a year and im not feeling worse than a year ago

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is my second day on the meds, feeling a little shakey and just "weird". Is this normal?
Yep, well it was for me but I had 2 lots of tabs to take. The Metformin for Diabetes and the others (see below) for The heart attack. Now I'm not sure which one or combination of actually gave me diarrhea every afternoon. I'm glad to say that that has finished and I feel ok with the tabs now.
If you still feel a little funny after a week I would see the quack and explain things.:)