Diary day 2

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
Morning FBG was 6.4
Tested now for breakfast and it was 10.4!

Had same breakfast as yesterday but used semi skimmed milk instead of skimmed and had to test ten mins early for convenience (surely ten mins wouldn't make a difference?!)

Found that result a bit shocking! As far as I can tell the only difference was the milk unless I are more but I'm pretty sure I did not so I guess I'll weigh it tomorrow.

Is this a silly question?! Does it matter if you prick a different finger for pre and post food tests?

Thanks
D x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
There's all sorts of variables Deb, longer term testing will iron them out so you get a trend.

Can I suggest that you carry on with the same thread for your diary rather than start a new one for each day? It will make it easier to track back and keep a coherent record.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
You could 'report' my post and ask those nice admin people to merge the first two days' threads.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

So today's readings have all been good

Lunch - ham with cream cheese salad = 5.1 two hour reading

Snack of handful of raw nuts (didn't measure bloods)

Dinner - sausage and cauli mash with onions = 5.8 two hour reading.

I was going to have some fruit and yoghurt but I'm in bed instead! It will be interesting to see if that gives me a better fasting BG in the morning...probably not!

So, am I right that so far, my BG are fairly good which means these foods are ok for me?

Good night peeps xxx

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Looks good to me :)

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
This mornings fast BG was 6.1 and two hours after my usual homemade muesli, it was 5.7 so I can only assume yesterday's bizarre reading was a blip.

My daughters have friends coming over for dinner tonight and I've made cupcakes for them to decorate. I'm thinking to have one and see what that does to my BG! Thing is, I'm a bit scared it may kill me which I know is nonsense but I can't help but see a skull and cross bones on all sweet food :-(

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So lunch - crab salad with Mayo gave me a 5.7

Dinner - sausage, cauli mash, onion, peas, gravy plus a cupcake gave me 7 two hours after. I don't think that's too bad really but am I niave?!

I'm a but peckish now though so may have some hummus and cucumber.

Talk about living life on the edge!!

X

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
Hi
This mornings fast BG was 6.1 and two hours after my usual homemade muesli, it was 5.7 so I can only assume yesterday's bizarre reading was a blip.

My daughters have friends coming over for dinner tonight and I've made cupcakes for them to decorate. I'm thinking to have one and see what that does to my BG! Thing is, I'm a bit scared it may kill me which I know is nonsense but I can't help but see a skull and cross bones on all sweet food :-(

I know that feeling Deb, today was the first time I did a big food shop since last week and everything looked totally different! I was looking at the things I would normally buy and because I've started to reduce my carbs I was mentally crossing them off my shopping list! I must have looked like a mad woman, walking along the shelves saying "nope, too much sugar", "nope, too many carbs", and the worst one of the lot was " Ha ha! I can have that one!" I don't think I'll be shopping in that particular supermarket for some time, I might get a reputation :)

Reactions: 4 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know what you mean. I've not quite gotten to the point of talking out loud but I do have those conversations in my head!

I can't believe I'm low carbing so easily now I'm into it. Can't say I've shed much weight but I'm hoping one Friday when I jump on the scales, I'll be lighter overnight!

X

Liz55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I'm recently diagnosed T2 and I can't get my BG levels down below 8.5 . I'm so confused as what I can eat. I've cut down the amount I eat, and feel quite hungry most of the time.

Do you all test after every meal and keep notes to see what really affects your BG level. And where do you find nice recipes from. Thanks

BTW. Love your blog and the way you experiment. Maybe I'll find some good ideas here :)

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've gone totally low carb. I'm not strictly counting but following Patrick holford's low GL diet. It's really good and makes complete sense.

The 'Low-GL' Diet Cookbook: Easy, recipes for weight loss, health and energy by Patrick Holford BSc DipION FBANT NTCRP et al. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0749926422/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_7eNDtb0RXF0H6

I thought I was eating healthily before all this as I was losing weight but I have been shocked at how many carbs are in EVERYTHING!! You've really got to read the labels and pick foods that are less than 10% carbs. I've created a meal plan so I don't get caught on the backfoot which has definitely helped.

I guess you've just got to keep trying.

X

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh and the Hairy Dieters books are good too - I tweak their recipes a bit to lower carb rate but essentially they lost their weight by watching carbs.

I've never eaten so much salad in my life though! I'm not bored of it yet as variety is key.

I'm sure you'll find foods that suit you better but I think it's all trial and error...:)

Reactions: 4 people

Liz55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've gone totally low carb. I'm not strictly counting but following Patrick holford's low GL diet. It's really good and makes complete sense.

The 'Low-GL' Diet Cookbook: Easy, recipes for weight loss, health and energy by Patrick Holford BSc DipION FBANT NTCRP et al. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0749926422/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_7eNDtb0RXF0H6

I thought I was eating healthily before all this as I was losing weight but I have been shocked at how many carbs are in EVERYTHING!! You've really got to read the labels and pick foods that are less than 10% carbs. I've created a meal plan so I don't get caught on the backfoot which has definitely helped.

I guess you've just got to keep trying.

X

This book has lots of good reviews, so I've just sent off for it. Thanks for letting me know about it xx

Liz55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It really is good! The cheesecake is brilliant and you can change the flavours with a bit of imagination.

D x

Looking forward to trying it out. First time I've felt more positive re diet in a while, the confusion was really getting to me. At least I'll have a starting point to build on , while I can work out what foods are more suited to me, not just sticking with the same boring stuff. :)

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning FBG was 6.2
Post breakfast of scrambled eggs and one thin slice of rye with olivio was 6.9.

That's still ok isn't it?

X

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You can do it Liz.

Read the first bit of book that explains about the theory behind diet, then write down all the stuff you like in the unlimited sections and then the starchy section so you have your basics.

Then you can explore what suits.

If did a spreadsheet meal planner at first so I don't have to think. Now I know a bit more I'll update it to increase variety.

Don't be scared of good fats as they help slow carb absorption and so does acidic food like vinegar and citrus fruits.

I found it all a bit confusing to start with so writing the key bits down really helped me.

I've started to enjoy cooking again and I really don't miss carbs. I thought it would kill me not eating pasta and bread but it's ok!!

Good luck

D x

Liz55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yikes....my fasting is 8.5. Not sure if I should eat anything, except maybe eggs. But I'm HUNGRY!! Maybe i ll go for porridge and eggs without bread. Porridge should be ok I think. I'm still going by trial and error here.