Diary day 2

Liz55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can do it Liz.

Read the first bit of book that explains about the theory behind diet, then write down all the stuff you like in the unlimited sections and then the starchy section so you have your basics.

Then you can explore what suits.

If did a spreadsheet meal planner at first so I don't have to think. Now I know a bit more I'll update it to increase variety.

Don't be scared of good fats as they help slow carb absorption and so does acidic food like vinegar and citrus fruits.

I found it all a bit confusing to start with so writing the key bits down really helped me.

I've started to enjoy cooking again and I really don't miss carbs. I thought it would kill me not eating pasta and bread but it's ok!!

Good luck

D x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
That was the problem with me, as my diet was more Mediterranean, pasta, rice....lean meat, casseroles eaten with bread,olive oil, fruit. I'm finding it hard to cut the pasta and rice out, although bread I've never eaten a lot of.

I'm confused about eating high fat as some recommend to help fill you up with high protein, when as my cholesterol levels were slightly high ( so much for me thinking my Med diet was healthy). Although the Nurse did say diabetes and raised Cholesterol usually go hand in hand as the liver cannot cope, and she doubted my diet was the cause. But as I was saying, I've been started on Simvastatin , and it seems contradictory to me to eat a low carb, higher fat diet and take meds to reduce statins. Or maybe I'm confused here or misunderstand.

I love vinegar and fruits, but again confused as to what has high sugar content. I love your idea how to plan out your foods, using the like and spreadsheet idea.....

Liz55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What about eggs and sausage? The good ones?

Did you eat late last night?

No not late, and my post meal was 13.0.!! It's my fault as my daughter made a Paella last night, and so I ate half a portion...again I'm still testing to see how far I can push my luck( or my BG levels) . I'm learning the hard way. Now Paella is out......I love Paella :-(

What if you eat something with a high sugar content and your BG spikes but drops quickly, I presume that is ...dare I say acceptable, rather than like mine last night, high and slow to come down?

Suppose I must make a move and sort out something to eat and head out to work. BFN , have a nice day

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Patrick will sort out what's good and bad. You can eat loads of berries but not bananas and grapes so you have to be careful with portion size.

Fat - eat good fat - fish oils, olive oil, rapeseed oil. Veg and sunflower oils are ok in moderation.

You can have lean meats - chicken, fish, prawns, ham (deli ham though - the stuff that comes in thick slices). I make my own donner kebabs from hairy dieters and they are amazing!! You can also have lean beef mince for meatballs and burgers. Play about with herbs - I put cumin in last burgers and they were really good.

Liz55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ahh....I ate quite a lot of grapes last night...another culprit! I always put cumin in 'Kofta ' fancy name for burgers or meat balls, and use plenty of herbs too. Yummy!

Reactions: 2 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Food combining is vital when having treat food. If you're gonna have high carb food, make sure you have a good bit of lean protein with it to slow it down. Or nuts.

Sure Patrick will sort you out!

I don't think it's good to spike BG and let it dip as it makes you want to eat again. The key is to keep it stable.

And are you able to exercise?

And water. Loads of water. I'm **** at that bit?

I've also severely cut caffeine down to one cup of coffee a day. I used to have four!!

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
Oh and the Hairy Dieters books are good too - I tweak their recipes a bit to lower carb rate but essentially they lost their weight by watching carbs.

I've never eaten so much salad in my life though! I'm not bored of it yet as variety is key.

I'm sure you'll find foods that suit you better but I think it's all trial and error...:)

I'm glad to hear that - I got the Hairy Dieters first book last year :) I found a bargain yesterday as well - I got the Low Carb Bible and M&S's Low Carb Cookbook in Oxfam at £5 for both books! I have to do a bit of tweaking though, I'm allergic to fish :( On the plus side, my son and I are quite capable of eating chicken every day :)

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

For lunch I had poached salmon salad and slept through testing time so didn't get a reading.

For dinner I had hairy biker kebabs on white warburtons wrap with mayo, lettuce and tomato. I am shocked that the BG didn't rocket - it measured a 6.6.

I have to say though I've felt very tired last few days. Sleeping isn't great at the moment so could be contributing....

X

Liz55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Food combining is vital when having treat food. If you're gonna have high carb food, make sure you have a good bit of lean protein with it to slow it down. Or nuts.

Sure Patrick will sort you out!

I don't think it's good to spike BG and let it dip as it makes you want to eat again. The key is to keep it stable.

And are you able to exercise?

And water. Loads of water. I'm **** at that bit?

I've also severely cut caffeine down to one cup of coffee a day. I used to have four!!

Back again. Took a pre meal test this afternoon it was 6.0. Had 2 whole wheat buns with cheese and lots of salad, and a cup of tea and 3 hours later it's 9.5 still. Bought the buns fresh from the bakers and so no label on, so guess it's not as whole wheat as I thought.

Just ready to have chicken legs and vegetables and 2 small roast potatoes, I'm even going to stretch to 1 Yorkshire pudding, to see how it affects me.

Sadly I don't exercise, but I'm quite active at work, and trying to walk more.

I'm terrible at drinking water :-( I very rarely feel thirsty, but know I'm having to make an effort to drink more, and putting a bottle of water in my car, just to keep swigging from.

I usually have 2 cups of coffee per day.....I read last week that you should drink at least 2 to keep your heart healthy. And even just upping an extra cup makes a difference. I wish they'd make their minds up.....one year it's ok, next it's not, and Now it's good again.....more confusion, as if we don't have enough, lol.

I'm so glad Patrick will get me sorted :)

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
Hi

For lunch I had poached salmon salad and slept through testing time so didn't get a reading.

For dinner I had hairy biker kebabs on white warburtons wrap with mayo, lettuce and tomato. I am shocked that the BG didn't rocket - it measured a 6.6.

I have to say though I've felt very tired last few days. Sleeping isn't great at the moment so could be contributing....

X

I've been feeling tired as well, I don't know if it's delayed reaction stress from last week (it's only just starting to hit me now), tiredness because of the elevated sugar levels or just the general mentalness at the moment :) My son is autistic and his college course is finishing next month so we're going through a transition phase at the moment. My son doesn't react well to uncertainty and we don't know whether he is going to be starting a new course at a different college in September. Aargh!

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Diamum. Poor you. I feel permanently stressed these days. Hope your son is ok - it must be really hard for you and then diabetes on top of it all. Hang in there. :)

I keep waking up at 3am too. So annoying!

My ex husband is the main cause of my stress and his impact on my two highly sensitive girls. It makes life harder for the three of us because of his behaviour. So sad.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Liz

I think you need to go cold turkey with carbs and see what that does to BG. You can then have the odd roll or whatever now and again.

It's really important that you lower your carbs if you want to get your BG down. If I can do it, anyone can, believe me. ;-)

X

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diamum. Poor you. I feel permanently stressed these days. Hope your son is ok - it must be really hard for you and then diabetes on top of it all. Hang in there. :)

I keep waking up at 3am too. So annoying!

My ex husband is the main cause of my stress and his impact on my two highly sensitive girls. It makes life harder for the three of us because of his behaviour. So sad.

Sending hugs to you Deb, I'm a single mum as well but my son's dad left me when I was pregnant so I've always been on my own. It must be so much harder having your little girls' dad making life difficult for you. Whenever my son is going through a challenging time I pull out all the stops to make sure his home life is as calm as possible, he thrives on routine so once that is in place he calms down considerably.

At least I've got something to look forward to - my son is going to be 21 in September and because one of his cousins is just 2 weeks younger than him we're going up to Scotland to visit them. We're going to the Edinburgh Festival on the last day so I don't think I'll be doing the food diary that weekend!

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yay! That sounds like a fun visit!

Honestly, I wish my ex would just leave us all alone as he does more harm than good and I have to start again with my routines etc. Bedtimes are my worst part. I'd just gotten them into falling asleep on their own, then his behaviour impacts on the girls so they feel vulnerable and confused at bedtimes, and leaving them only isolates them. I'm sure the experts would say show them love throughout the day instead but it's a bit hard when they've been out with him most of the afternoon and come back exhausted and way past their bedtime.

I've repeatedly asked him to stop what he's doing but he just doesn't care. It's all about him :-((

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Argh!

A bit stressed at moment due to issues with ex husband and I think it's affected my BG.

Fasting BG was 6.6 - my highest yet
Brekkie - muesli - highest ever reading for anything (including cake!) at 7.2!

I mustn't let this ******* get me down but that's easier said than done!!

X

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
Are you not doing the LCHF diet Deb? It might beca good idea to set yourself up with some relaxtion or meditation every day to keep the stress time....some YOU only time xx

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
Meant keep the stress down. Sorry doing this on my phone and eyesight bad! Xx

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
Back again. Took a pre meal test this afternoon it was 6.0. Had 2 whole wheat buns with cheese and lots of salad, and a cup of tea and 3 hours later it's 9.5 still. Bought the buns fresh from the bakers and so no label on, so guess it's not as whole wheat as I thought....

Liz, glad to see that you and other posters in this thread are fighting to get your bgs down :)

Sorry, however, but I have to - ever so slightly - rain on your parade:

Whole wheat grains (flour) will contain the same amount of starch (= carbs) as normal flour. The only difference may be that the absorption may take slightly longer - but nevertheless the same amount of carbs. - The same goes for whole grain pasta instead of plain pasta.

Personally, I avoid both (whole grain and plain) - they will skyrocket my bg - same as with all cereals (porridge!). But your way may vary.

Annelise

Reactions: 4 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you not doing the LCHF diet Deb? It might beca good idea to set yourself up with some relaxtion or meditation every day to keep the stress time....some YOU only time xx

I'm doing low GL which is similar to LCHF but looks at the relationship of food combining which should stabilise BG.

I am convinced my reading is from the ex! Even my pre lunch read was 5.6! It's usually 4.8 so something is up.

I plan on de stressing now with some low carb baking!!

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
That's great. Don't let 'em grind you down Deb. Think of you. You matter and you need to cater to your needs right now :)