Did a Nutritionist help you any with your Diabetes way of eating ?

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
With low carb or ? diet plan suggested seems way to high carb to me with out the thought of how carbs effect craving to people etcc..... .

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
. A low carb or ? diet plan.
Hospital dieticians who used the eatwell plate.

On a bariatric pre-op educational course at mo which is still pushing carbs. Out of 6 of us, I'm only diabetic but one prediabetic too.
So op to try and prevent diabetes not solve it.
Too many carbs in it!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine showed me little rubber blobs of foods like baked beans, bread, rice pie, cake etc to show me portion sizes. Nodded and walked out.

Thankfully my diabetic nurse is in complete favor of paleo low carb and told me after i brought down my ridiculously high bs I could continue with my vlc Atkins style diet. But needing to take large amounts of insulin to bring it down in the beginning required some carbs to bridge the gap. She knew I are vlc and all fresh wholesome paleo type foods and further recommended I stick to it.

All docs told me stay wheat, gluten and grain free.

Hotpepper20000

Nope. Mine told me to eat low fat evething. She didn't mind that I was low carbing but insisted that I should eat some whole grains. And make sure all my dairy was low fat. Even though my A1C was almost half and at that point had lost 30pounds with LCHF.
I didnt go back.

Last edited:
Reactions: charliebarker

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I have,nt seen a nutrisisniss but did see a dietician.
She couldn't, have been more then 20. To be honest, she never helped, just basically said eat all kinds of food but smaller portions.
She did ask if I wanted another appointment for 6 months later but said no.
I have had very good advice from members here

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
No .. worse than useless. I have had a 1 to 1 and seen the same HCP at my "Diabetes and You" course. Same script, same rubbish about the Eatwell plate both times, but ..
I listen ..
Nod ..
Smile and say thankyou ..
Ignore ..

Reactions: dbr10 and letstalk1

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have,nt seen a nutrisisniss but did see a dietician.
She couldn't, have been more then 20. To be honest, she never helped, just basically said eat all kinds of food but smaller portions.
She did ask if I wanted another appointment for 6 months later but said no.
I have had very good advice from members here
I said no to mine to.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was offered little in the way of nutritional advice. However, I do have a friend who is a Nutritionist and she still can't get over the idea that eggs are fine and aren't full of artery-clogging bad cholesterol. I know that there are some nutritionists who are starting to recommend LCHF diets for diabetics, but I think they are still few and far between.
Whenever I have needed dietary advice and support I've always come to this forum, because there are members here who have lived with diabetes and been doing low carb for much longer than low carb has been fashionable.

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
No .. worse than useless. I have had a 1 to 1 and seen the same HCP at my "Diabetes and You" course. Same script, same rubbish about the Eatwell plate both times, but ..
I listen ..
Nod ..
Smile and say thankyou ..
Ignore ..
Ya I keep hoping I will find one that really gets what they are talking about.

B

badcat

When I was first diagnosed 20 years ago I saw a dietician - once - and that was too many times!
At the time I was vegetarian and ate mostly whole foods about which she seemed to know little - when I started to ask about things like sunflower seeds, tofu and tempeh she began to look more and more panicked before admitting she didnt know anything about them!
I have never consulted a nutritionist but have done my own research in LC

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
When I was first diagnosed 20 years ago I saw a dietician - once - and that was too many times!
At the time I was vegetarian and ate mostly whole foods about which she seemed to know little - when I started to ask about things like sunflower seeds, tofu and tempeh she began to look more and more panicked before admitting she didnt know anything about them!
I have never consulted a nutritionist but have done my own research in LC
Self educating always here.

D

Deleted member 308541

With low carb or ? diet plan suggested seems way to high carb to me with out the thought of how carbs effect craving to people etcc..... .
I was supposed to see a nutritionist / dietitian on a free health care plan.

I made an appointment and was told I had to pay $100.00 for the first visit, I told them to shove it up where the sun does not shine and did never go to see her.

I have seen a diabetic educator and she is quite happy with lchf diets, and did not try forcing other diets on to me.

woldsway

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Been type 2 for 10 years, now on insulin and not once have I had any dietary advice (apart from on here)

Reactions: dbr10

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Ya I keep hoping I will find one that really gets what they are talking about.
My current regular dietician I have monthly via endocrologist is great. She has a carb and cals book on her desk!! I always lose when I see her (fiona). Young and intelligent too. I hope I've lost next week when I see her!
Being weighed tomorrow in 2nd session of pre-op eating course. Have to hand in example of eating too. It's all holiday food. Not a veg in sight. Ooops!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Been type 2 for 10 years, now on insulin and not once have I had any dietary advice (apart from on here)
I bet you were given a leaflet when first diagnosed? Showing healthy foods and which foods to keep to a minimum? Well I was in 2002 in an educational course.
Even the dn nurses get bored saying the same things over the years, I found. One male dn in Rye had no energy in him. I felt for him because he must have heard all kinds. He looked fed up. I tried to cheer him up, bless him.