did exercise help you in any way terms of health

DiabeticDadUK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Currently going through a exercise "phase" that I haven't done for over 20 years. I'm hurting. But I'm really loving it. It shaves off a few mmol on my BG. I feel stronger and my body is starting to show results for it, albeit small results so far. I guess physically and mentally the results are positive when it comes to exercise. I just run and do core exercises at home. Not a gym fan.

Reactions: GrantGam

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Exercise puts another factor into the mix of diabetes control which may be daunting and frustrating at times. BUT the benefits are undoubted - exercise helps everybody no matter what. Your body is a machine that needs oiling and using. Loads of physiological processes go on when you exercise - mentally and physically (too many and too complicated to list here). I know I would probably find it easier to level off my blood sugars without exercise but I would no way take that option. To be honest my dad was type 1 and did a lot of rowing - he outlived a lot of his type one contemporaries.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I Think exercise has lowered my insuline resistance very much now some days I can on a whole day eat around 300 grams of carbs without my blood glucose raising. But I also have exhausted myself from all This exercising so lately have had some days off And only gone twice a week burning at least 2000 calories each time doing some resistance training and a lot of cardio. Like 2-3 hours of cardio which is a lot and I could only do maybe 20 minutes when I started 8 months ago

Reactions: DiabeticDadUK

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I miss swimming, cycling and mini jogging. I used to play tennis, badminton and walk for miles.
I know if I was exercising I'd need less insulin for my severe IR.
I miss the feel good factor but I don't miss the sweaty clothes thou.
The next day aches and pains arose if I hadnt relaxed my muscles in a warm bath. Footballers used to swear by it.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I miss swimming, cycling and mini jogging. I used to play tennis, badminton and walk for miles.
I know if I was exercising I'd need less insulin for my severe IR.
I miss the feel good factor but I don't miss the sweaty clothes thou.
The next day aches and pains arose if I hadnt relaxed my muscles in a warm bath. Footballers used to swear by it.

my body also hurt afterwards and sometimes days after exercising, but I try to ignore that as the gains are much greater than what this hurting does to my body

Reactions: DiabeticDadUK

DiabeticDadUK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Everything hurt yesterday so I took the day off exercise. I think recovery is important.

Today, very work busy but managed to do a little core work. Which happens to be my fav exercises right now Tomorrow I will be very active.

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
my body also hurt afterwards and sometimes days after exercising, but I try to ignore that as the gains are much greater than what this hurting does to my body
A warm bath soak took the worst off. Old gp used to prescribe painkillers to take edge off getting fit. I think my gp is just keeping me moving with tramadol. Chronic pain is deathly if not managed properly.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A warm bath soak took the worst off. Old gp used to prescribe painkillers to take edge off getting fit. I think my gp is just keeping me moving with tramadol. Chronic pain is deathly if not managed properly.

I guess it depends on the level of the pain... also... resently I read that cherries are even better than painkillers to treat arthritis... maybe worth a try , they are also in some extend a pain killer to not servere pain... but one needs to eat more than 40 cherries then, maybe too much to most diabetics... but interesting what nature holds , my arthritis pain has lowered but not diasapered totally since very much exercise... but it was very bad initially..

http://blog.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/arthritis-diet-cherries/

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1999/02/990201073255.htm

http://naturalsociety.com/16-natures-best-natural-pain-killers/

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've read exercise is good for arthritis too. I'm not sure if mine is arthritis? Bulging disc/discs with scatica?

Reactions: Freema

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I guess it depends on the level of the pain... also... resently I read that cherries are even better than painkillers to treat arthritis... maybe worth a try , they are also in some extend a pain killer to not servere pain... but one needs to eat more than 40 cherries then, maybe too much to most diabetics... but interesting what nature holds , my arthritis pain has lowered but not diasapered totally since very much exercise... but it was very bad initially..

http://blog.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/arthritis-diet-cherries/

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1999/02/990201073255.htm

http://naturalsociety.com/16-natures-best-natural-pain-killers/

Ah, you need to be a complete Star Trek fan.

'I need my pain'

Which isn't as stupid as it sounds, I got to be a diabetic, and I used that to work my way out from being diabetic.

Reactions: Freema and ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I have to be honest exercise worked well for my mental health but only very low calorie diet set my diabetes aside. Twice.
I think if I aim for the same again and then able to exercise thereafter it will be a bonus.
I have still so much to teach my kids exercise wise. Son no longer skiing as he prefered me there too. Swimming too and tennis was on starters orders with mini-jogging just started.
Luckily 4yr old is like me. Eager to be active all day. To my detriment now since I'm 46 and have a back affliction. He'll be fine playing football and throwing with pothole seeking mad. He won't need me so much.

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to be honest exercise worked well for my mental health but only very low calorie diet set my diabetes aside. Twice.
I think if I aim for the same again and then able to exercise thereafter it will be a bonus.
I have still so much to teach my kids exercise wise. Son no longer skiing as he prefered me there too. Swimming too and tennis was on starters orders with mini-jogging just started.
Luckily 4yr old is like me. Eager to be active all day. To my detriment now since I'm 46 and have a back affliction. He'll be fine playing football and throwing with pothole seeking mad. He won't need me so much.

I hope you'll get there or rather I believe you'll get there you also have a lot of will power and that is a good fuel as well for all progressions in life

mezzomario

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
right exercises or fitness can be good for our health, but sometimes it will be harmful

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Thank you for posting. The article refers to quite energetic exercise:- cut and paste. The exercise sessions began with 10 minutes of warm-up floor exercises and stretching followed by 30 minutes of pedaling on a stationary bike. After that, participants either jogged or walked briskly on a treadmill for 15 minutes, followed by about 15 minutes of strength training. All sessions ended with five minutes of cool-down exercises.

I have right side including leg problems and would not be able to move my right leg for several days if I tried that. I have done a bit of research and found that several organisations have come up with less strenuous advice for the more physically challenged like myself. Ie 20 minutes brisk walk has the same benefit as say a 30 minute walk or in my case (purely my own invention) a 45 minute totter. I can do the totter and am similarly active for >4 hours per day. The participants on this study did 75 minutes of activity. Do you think it is possible there is a comparible benefit for those of us in the "totter" category of fitness? I am not quite lame but would be after a 5 minute brisk walk.