Didn't realize how vital sodium is to your health.

frankbegbie

Until just now.
Today is a fasting day for me and it's been getting harder and harder to complete the 24 hours over the last three weeks.
Just had a Bovril drink and immediately my hunger and fatigue has vanished.

Also drinking too much water can be detrimental to your sodium level.
I had a horrible though of giving up the LCHF diet because it wasn't working for me.
Turns out it was just about the salt.

http://www.wikihow.com/Raise-Your-Blood-Sodium-Level

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Yes, I always drink a mug or two of Bovril when I'm fasting - works miracles!

I think sodium is becoming an issue nowadays because we are always getting warned about having too much salt in our diet but no one ever mentions the problems you get if you don't have enough. My (step) grandson is a very fit and sporty lad who is brilliant at football - and last year started collapsing in the middle of a game or intense practice. Turned out that his Mum (being an excellent and very caring mum) doesn't let her kids eat crisps or similar and restricts the amount of salt she uses in food. All four of the kids were tested and all four were shown to be sodium deficient.

frankbegbie

Yes I've always been a bit careful with the amount of salt I've used, because of all the warnings.
But I think I've been having enough.
I was becomming a bit paranoid about the amount of water I was drinking.
Probably ended up drinking too much, and that's been the trouble.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is very important to keep salt levels up when fasting and also when on low carb. It is also important to keep fluids up. The fluids can wash away the salt, so you do need to keep adding it to your food. I don't drink Bovril or anything like that, so I just add table salt to my food, such as tomatoes, and make sure I eat plenty of bacon! :)

Reactions: donnellysdogs

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
As my old dad used to say salt is what keeps the body and soul together.
I have always remembered that adage and tried to make sure I have adequate sodium in my diet.

frankbegbie

Turns out it wasn't my salt levels.
It was plain and simple not enough sleep.
I initially thought it was about sleep but kept thinking it was something to do with the LCHF diet I've been on for the last 3 weeks.
I felt better after my cup of Bovril and something to eat but when I took the dog out again I still felt exausted.
So when I got back I went to bed for a hour; had about half an hour of sleep and felt a lot better.

In future I'll stay in bed a bit longer in the morning see if it makes the difference.
Pretty confident it will.
Just relieved it's not the diet causing the problem.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Are you having a laugh @frankbegbie ??:banghead::banghead:
So what do I have to do? Drink Bovril or sleep more?
Shouldn't you re-title this thread "Didn't realise how completely unimportant sodium is to your health until I'd slept on it..."