Diet drinks

Dickyt

Can you drink diet drinks or sugar free drinks with type 2 diabetes or what can you drink apart from water,because after giving up the beer after 20 years there doesn't seem to be many options and according to new research diet drinks are supposed to be worse than the original drinks

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
I steer clear of them to avoid sweet tasting things and some of the artificial sweeteners also spike my levels

Diagnosed Type II 1998 1 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

Mr Happy

Haven't had any problems with them as a T1 - in terms of Diet Coke etc. It's the ones that pretend to be better and natural that often have sucrose and fructose that you have to be aware of.

Also, beer needs you, never give up on beer!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

A

Anonymous

Dickyt said:
Can you drink diet drinks or sugar free drinks with type 2 diabetes or what can you drink apart from water,because after giving up the beer after 20 years there doesn't seem to be many options and according to new research diet drinks are supposed to be worse than the original drinks

I don't drink alcohol now. I usually have soda water with slices of lime, lemon and orange in (squeezed). I would never touch cordials whether I was diabetic or not. I sometimes, for a change, have a double tomato juice with all the trimmings (Lee & Perrins, Tabasco, celery salt etc.) but I've no idea what that does to my bGs.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
as a type 1 I haven't personally had any problems with diet sodas and use them as a long drink or as a mixer with spirits at the weekend with no impact on Bg's or insulin requirements..It's a personal thing I guess...

Paul

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
Tomato juice is good and with vodka is great

Diagnosed Type II 1998 1 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

A

Anonymous

Neil Walters said:
Tomato juice is good and with vodka is great

The tomato juice with trimmings make me feel as though I'm eating a cheap soup and staves off hunger a bit. With the vodka added I wouldn't give a s..t anyway. :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I can't see any reason why you shouldn't try and see how they suit you.
I personally don't like them except for the sugar free Tonic water sold at Waitrose and Ionly drink it rarely. I ,very rarely, drink a very dilute glass of the "no added sugar" squash which I keep for my grandchildren. The mixed berry one tastes reasonable.
Hana

A

Anonymous

Kat100 said:
Sugar free ginger beer from waitrose....I drink it sometimes......

I juice my own ginger, keep in the fridge, and add to sparkling water as required.