'diet' yogurts in Tesco

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Now i normally avoid yogs as i cant stand plain flavor. however I had a look at these and being less than 10g for a fruit one I decided to give them a go! not bad either :) Currently eating some with low carb granola NOM

Any suggestions for other low carb flavored yogs?

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry, no suggestions for yoghurts as I like it plain (sometimes with a tiny sprinkle of sweetener) with blueberries or raspberries and nuts.

But low carb granola? Tell me more please! :)

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've always been concerned with the additional gunk they put into low fat and diet products to redress the texture issues once they remove fat - usually adding gums and starches to plump them out and thicken them again.

What I'm currently doing on my version of LCHF is buy big tubs of full fat Greek style yogurt (Aldi - 69p for 500g - at least 5 or 6 servings) and add my own flavourings. The yogurt itself is thick and creamy and filling. For breakfast I have it with my own mixture of seeds - sunflower, pine nuts, pumpkin etc.

For a fruity dessert version, I keep various bags of frozen berries (just got some gorgeous frozen blueberries in Tesco, I have these with raspberries) and take out whatever I want and either zizz them in my small food processor whilst still frozen so that they end up in tiny pieces rather than mushed - or just crush them with the back of a spoon. Add a good dollop to the plain yogurt and it's much, much tastier than a bought fruit yogurt and they only have 2 or three ingredients and no unwanted gunk.

A good size fruity portion done this way is just under 8g carbs and I bet it is a bigger portion and more filling than the carton at 10g - a lot cheaper too. To make it even more decadent as a dessert, I fold in a spoonful of whipped cream too.

Reactions: 6 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
as much as I might like that idea @BooJewels I know it wont happen. I put a lot of time and effort into keeping everything low carb and gluten free and yogs just are one thing I have for a day or two but then go off, which leads to the large tub you mention going off! I have 2 yogs left in the fridge after 2 weeks from a 4 pack so you can see how often I eat them!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Tesco do a pack of 6 kids yogurts, raspberry and beetroot and mango and carrot . Weight watchers do under 10 carbs as do the Irish yogurts. It also depends on the type of fruit used as pineapple and lemon can be a lot higher. I'm the same as you too, Coeliac and eat as much diary products as possible, with Osteoporosis as well. I have always loved yogurts, I bought my very first one from Woolworths, many, many years ago :) but only a very small variety then in the late 1960's :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people