Dietetics

Defren

ladybird64 said:
jopar said:
As to the 'it isn't your decision' being uttered well this can't believe that was ever said... I have dealt with and been treated by many of the health care profession and even been called a liar by one of my original consultants... But I have never heard a patient being told 'it's not their decision' when that patient is campus mentus (Isp) I've only heard it uttered to an relative who is trying to enforce a relative into a decision they don't want or when somebody has been sectioned under the mental health act!

It's not said, purely because it's pointless to say it...

Edited to clarify,

Careful Jo, that kind of a statement is guaranteed to provoke a strong reaction and rightly so. It is irrespective whether you have heard this said or not, you were not there, Ju was and she has repeated what was said. To say it wasn't said impies she is a liar and that is an unreasonable and provocative accusation.

There are many of us here who have had a lot of contact with medical professionals in both work and personal life There are many who have been on the receiving end of statements that you may consider fabrications. They happen, of that there is no doubt.

I wouldn't have thought that calling someone a liar, or rather implying it is a good way of promoting cordial relations on the forum, would you?

[mod edit -getting a touch too personal]

Yes Jules, you were there and I for one would not doubt a word you said. It's a shame you can't just post your rant, which I think you were well justified in having, and then be supported.

SweetHeart

Someone wading in and alleging that I am lying won't change the fact that this was our unfortunate experience this morning. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it would be fairer all around if, even if you don't agree with another opinion, you respect that person's right to hold it. I should have pointed that out to the dietician this morning.

Ju

jopar

Ladybird

At least she's is able to defend herself, the dietician isn't!

Sweatheart is accusing the dietician of 'Gross Misconduct'

Which if true, and I say this as yes we weren't present and we can't hear the other persons story... Then it's gross misconduct that needs to be addressed....

Defren

SweetHeart said:
Someone wading in and alleging that I am lying won't change the fact that this was our unfortunate experience this morning. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it would be fairer all around if, even if you don't agree with another opinion, you respect that person's right to hold it. I should have pointed that out to the dietician this morning.

Ju

Take no notice Jules, you vent away all you like, this is your thread, and I for one don't doubt you for a second. This accusing people of being liars is wrong, very wrong. (((Jules))).

SweetHeart

We can pull this to bits, put it back together, argue it backwards, forwards and inside out, upside down, whatever.

Jopar is entitled to that opinion. No one has to agree with it.

When we mentioned that we found a lot of help and support on this forum, the dietician said 'There's a lot of rubbish on the internet' Yes, there is. I pointed out that she was right, but that there is also a wealth of good information - you just need to be able to see what applies to you and what doesn't. Sort through it, and make up your own mind.

Ju

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
jopar said:

Did I miss something? No-one named the dietician, so her personal reputation hasn't been tarnished.

I'm not sure about "Gross Misconduct", but I do think that this is "Instiutional Negligence", and the more times that people like Ju are willing to flag it, then the more chance we will have of protecting less-informed diabetics in the future.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
SweetHeart said:
When we mentioned that we found a lot of help and support on this forum, the dietician said 'There's a lot of rubbish on the internet' Yes, there is. I pointed out that she was right, but that there is also a wealth of good information - you just need to be able to see what applies to you and what doesn't. Sort through it, and make up your own mind.

She's right of course. There is a lot of rubbish about diabetes on the internet. This is my favourite rubbish:
http://rdfeinman.wordpress.com/2012/03/ ... 15-theses/

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
jopar said:
Ladybird

Sweatheart is accusing the dietician of 'Gross Misconduct'

Which if true, and I say this as yes we weren't present and we can't hear the other persons story... Then it's gross misconduct that needs to be addressed....

Jopar

I have got no intention of turning this thread into a personal battleground to get points, it's not my style. It is really very simple. You may have thought that the OP misheard what was said, in which case you could have asked and thus avoided things getting personal. Mods are always reminding us not to make personal remarks so I am actually quite surprised that they didn't seem to pick up on the fact that you more or less said the OP was fabricating things - a VERY personal statement IMHO.

Anyway, I would like to leave that well and truly behind. It is entirely up to the OP's hubby if they wish to make a complaint and has nothing to do with you. As for the dietician needing to be defended..I doubt it somehow. We don't know who she is, where she works, there are no identifying factors included in this post, just the info about what happened at the visit.

I have had personal experience with dieticians, I didn't mention it because it wasn't pertinent to the post but as we are talking extremes such as nameless NHS staff having to defend themselves, I'll include it. I saw three different dieticians while my daughter was in her early teens, they were for her, not me. She has a rare condition but one that I would expect a dietician to know about or certainly read up on. I told her that my daughter didn't have snacks between meals and in front of my daughter, she told me that I should "loosen the reins and let her have some treats! A packet of low fat crisps every day won't hurt".

That was the last consultation. I wouldn't go near them with a bargepole after that.

Ju, so glad hubs is doing well. Sounds like he is doing just fine without the assistance of this woman, long may it continue. :thumbup:

jopar

I think that if somebody makes accusations against somebody else then I or anybody else are entitled to ask questions concerning the incident and just because somebody is asking questions doesn't mean they are accusing somebody of being a lair. It means that they asking for more information as I said earlier I can't ask the other person for their version of events...

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
jopar said:
I think that if somebody makes accusations against somebody else then I or anybody else are entitled to ask questions concerning the incident and just because somebody is asking questions doesn't mean they are accusing somebody of being a lair. It means that they asking for more information as I said earlier I can't ask the other person for their version of events...

My last post on this subject for the reasons I gave above.

You didn't ask questions. You said this:

As to the 'it isn't your decision' being uttered well this can't believe that was ever said... and this: It's not said, purely because it's pointless to say it...No questions as far as I can see.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all!

My diabetes consultant is quite supportive of my low-carbing, but the dietician insists I'm killing myself (clearly, only time will tell!) However, when I told the consultant that the dietician in his clinic was vehemently opposed to low-carbing, he said there is no evidence that a low-carb diet has any long-term adverse effect on health and that eating fat does not raise your cholestorol. I asked him to tell the dieticiian that and he said he wouldn't dare :***:

Smidge

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
[quote="jopar"
......10-15g's for a snack, not a large amount either when you think about it..

Edited to clarify,[/quote]

A snack!! :shock: I aim for that for my main meals else I easily get into double figures!! And 1 slice of bread a day is plenty!!

I've just had to up my meds as my levels were slowly rising so there would be absolutely no hope after following this advice....it would insulin or bust!

Angie

Defren

angieG said:
jopar said:

Edited to clarify,

A snack!! :shock: I aim for that for my main meals else I easily get into double figures!! And 1 slice of bread a day is plenty!!

I've just had to up my meds as my levels were slowly rising so there would be absolutely no hope after following this advice....it would insulin or bust!

Angie

I agree, I eat under 10g a day, while on the ND I am on 9 grams.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
jopar said:

It's not a lot for a meal, but it's a whole lot of carb for a snack...

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Ju,

I'm at a loss for words. If you were paying for this advice would you have sacked that dietician? I bet you would have! Professional courtesy, common courtesy, faux courtesy would at least demand that this numbskull at least pretend to listen to what you have to say. The fact that they do something so rude as to throw documents that you have brought them away speaks volumes about them. To hell with them; if you can be bothered I'd issue formal a complaint.

I have a dear friend who is a GP; I asked him how he would rate dieticians out of 10. He said about 3, on a good day...

Keep doing what you are doing!

Best

Dillinger

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
jopar said:

I eat around 60g a day so not even VLC. Anything above that 60g and my BG's will begin to spike and day by day my fasting levels would gradually but inexorably deteriorate. In the end I would very likely get some kind of complication, go blind or end up losing a foot or two.

I need to allocate those grams very carefully to get a good balance in my diet and to maintain safe levels. Why would I want to use a quarter of that allowance on ONE snack?

An insulin users perspective and it is so wrong!

Perhaps I should start posting in the T1 forum and tell them they should aim to control in the high 3's, eat zero carb meals and then inject! I'm sure the likes of Pneu, Noblehead, Phoenix and Dillinger would be well angry if I did that and rightly so.

I suspect my account wouldn't last very long...

SweetHeart

This evening, I'm not doing joined up thinking (just heard that my sister's FinL literally dropped dead today, in the same hospital, but no connection..I digress)

MH has decided that we'll go back once more, after his next HbA1c. As long as that has gone down, and his other lipids(?) are fine, cholesterol gone down etc, then we'll try again with the print outs and politely request that, as we have studied her literature, she would be impolite not to read ours.

Talking about it over dinner, we think that his card was marked with this particular lady after asking her searching questions about low carbing at the education day last Thursday.

Ju

SweetHeart

A thought...Mh has no gallbladder, will that have any impact on HbA1c results? Apologies if that's a daft question, as I said the joined up stuff is a bit difficult right now.

Ju

Defren

SweetHeart said:
A thought...Mh has no gallbladder, will that have any impact on HbA1c results? Apologies if that's a daft question, as I said the joined up stuff is a bit difficult right now.

Ju

Hi Jules, I parted ways with my gall bladder a few years ago, but have not heard it effects HbA1c's.

SweetHeart

It just suddenly occurred to me, but it's good that it doesn't affect results. Tomorrow we're going to ask the doctors' receptionist if she can print out MH's diagnosis results - we still have no idea what his HbA1c was then.

Ju