Dietitian and Low Carbs

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had protein in my urine in 2008. In 2012 my GFR was 72 and it is now >90. What does this mean?

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
diagnosed 08/04/08 ,yesterday08/05/14: 36 so 6 years 1 month. Don't fanatically low Protein just try not to eat too much.

Reactions: 2 people

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
Thanks everyone :)
I only have one kidney with a GFR of 54. I was told to eat a low salt and low protein diet and eat healthily! I have been doing this for two years prior to finding out my blood sugar is the high end of normal and that my cholesterol has gone up a bit (5.7) Before I had my other kidney removed because of cancer, my kidney function was normal. Straight after my op my one kidney had a GFR of 46. I raised it to 54 by diet I think. I don't want to go the other way by going on a diet that may impair its function...I only have the one!

Must admit to feeling very confused. :(

Mayfly

Dislikes
Not eating chocolate
My diabetic nurse said, "Let's look at your diet", read my notes and then said, "Well, we don't need to look at that". Hmmmmm, could it be because HF/LC works but you're not allowed to acknowledge that?

Reactions: 4 people

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
My diabetic nurse said, "Let's look at your diet", read my notes and then said, "Well, we don't need to look at that". Hmmmmm, could it be because HF/LC works but you're not allowed to acknowledge that?

It must keep occurring with DNs etc. Sadly they are held by the criteria laid down, It's actually them that need to shout up about it all but they never will.

richard256

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being on call
What is it with Dietitians and low carb diets?

I was sent to a dietitian last month as my blood sugar kept rising and I'm morbidly obese (BMI 43). I saw her on 12th March and was told to follow the Eat Well Plate with smaller portions (fistsize potato, bread, etc.) and to come back today. I had told her that my main concern is my blood sugar, and my weight only in as far as it impacts my health.

I followed (more or less) her advice for the first 25 days and my blood sugar stayed pretty much the same. I lost 1 kg of weight. Then I joined the Diabetes forum and discovered the joys of Low Carb Medium Fat... For the next 23 days I followed this way of eating and my blood sugar went down from an average of 6.22 in March, to 5.32 for the last 23 days.

I went back to the dietitian today and showed her the monthly average data I had collected since I measured my fasting BS:

August 2013 - 5.57
September 2013 - 5.79
October 2013 - 5.94
November 2013 - 6.05
December 2013 - 5.78
January 2014 - 5.80
February 2014 - 5.99
March 2014 - 6.22

I then told her that I had followed a low carb medium fat diet and my average blood sugar is down now to 5.32 (and I lost another half stone in the last 3 weeks).

She didn't know what to do.... She kept congratulating me at how wonderful my results were, and in the same sentence told me that I must incorporate starchy carbohydrates with my meals. "but why?" I asked and pointed to the better results in lowering BS. She told me that low carb eating would damage my kidneys. I asked her to explain in what way the kidneys would be damaged and she was a bit evasive... kept saying that it could eventually lead to dialysis and kidney damage, even kidney failure. I pressed her for more specific reasons and research and finally she confessed she didn't know but would have to read up on it.

She pointed to the damage caused by saturated fat and again I asked her for specific research into this as compared to the damage caused by diabetes.

Poor woman... I think she was glad when I finally left. She did say in parting, that she is obsessed with carbohydrates. I could detect a definite sigh of relief when I said I don't need to see her again :)
Go for it girl,their not as clued up as they would have you believe.Richard

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It must keep occurring with DNs etc. Sadly they are held by the criteria laid down, It's actually them that need to shout up about it all but they never will.

Never is a long time. One will, sooner or later. Sooner I reckon. I can feel the change. :)

Actaeon70

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Noise, drunk people
I saw a dietitian for a while last year. Last time I saw her I asked about going on a DESMOND course, and she said I couldn't because I'd been diagnosed for longer than 9 months. I then asked about carb counting, since all my online diabetic contacts had talked about it, and were horrified I wasn't doing it already. She said that really it was for type 1s and I didn't need to bother with it. (Obese, sky high BS for 2 years, medications making no impact, hell I need to try SOMETHING...) While I love carbs, and cutting them down is very hard for me, I've trialled it twice, and, after 2 days on each occasion, my BS levels were within NORMAL RANGE... I cancelled my next dietitian's appointment. I got a letter from the service saying they were "disappointed" I'd done this. Considering her tone was "there's really not much more I can do to help you" and she couldn't/wouldn't assist with the matters I did want help with, I did her a favour by not wasting her time any more. Anyone know of any good carb counting/measuring apps for a Windows Phone?

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
I hope you are right. I am seeing a dietician soon. Wonder what response I will get about LCHF :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I got the same response therefore my dietician wont see me again, she told me she couldn't help me.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:wideyed:

What a cop out!

How can a supposedly professionally trained dietician give up on you because our BG is too high.?!? That boggles belief.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I saw a dietitian for a while last year. Last time I saw her I asked about going on a DESMOND course, and she said I couldn't because I'd been diagnosed for longer than 9 months. I then asked about carb counting, since all my online diabetic contacts had talked about it, and were horrified I wasn't doing it already. She said that really it was for type 1s and I didn't need to bother with it. (Obese, sky high BS for 2 years, medications making no impact, hell I need to try SOMETHING...) While I love carbs, and cutting them down is very hard for me, I've trialled it twice, and, after 2 days on each occasion, my BS levels were within NORMAL RANGE... I cancelled my next dietitian's appointment. I got a letter from the service saying they were "disappointed" I'd done this. Considering her tone was "there's really not much more I can do to help you" and she couldn't/wouldn't assist with the matters I did want help with, I did her a favour by not wasting her time any more. Anyone know of any good carb counting/measuring apps for a Windows Phone?

Actaeon, BDEC online www.bdec-e-learning.com/ is a good online course which will cover the carb counting and is FREE so means that you can use it to get you started until you can det your HCP to spring for a DAFNE (or other) course, also you can do things in YOUR time, not in blocks that are decided by someone else!

Reactions: 4 people

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As someone who has done low carb/low GI for years and I don't care how much fat I eat I would like to know how much protein is too much as I eat a lot of protein to stop me being hungry . Maybe I should be bothered about my kidneys?
I do exercise a lot.
My fasting bs is beginning to creep up now , from being high 4's/low 5's to mid to high 5's and if I have a bit of 85%+ chocolate it shows. I don't go near my GP because I think I have been forgotten about and I am still collecting a testing strip prescription every month which I know I am not entitled to but naturally want to keep!!!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As someone who has done low carb/low GI for years and I don't care how much fat I eat I would like to know how much protein is too much as I eat a lot of protein to stop me being hungry . Maybe I should be bothered about my kidneys?
I do exercise a lot.
My fasting bs is beginning to creep up now , from being high 4's/low 5's to mid to high 5's and if I have a bit of 85%+ chocolate it shows. I don't go near my GP because I think I have been forgotten about and I am still collecting a testing strip prescription every month which I know I am not entitled to but naturally want to keep!!!

Hi,

This link has a good article about protein.

Andrew Colvin has posted about noticing that large quantities of protein raise his fasting BG. Above normal, and if think that type 1s usually add extra insulin when they eat a lot of protein, because when it is digested it breaks down into (some) slowly released glucose.

I agree about fat. So long as a don't just eat blocks of lard. ;)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How much protein?

This link was posted on another thread recently. It is very interesting and useful

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/protein-questions/#atkins

Basically it says:
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to that question, and research on the topic is still emerging. The Institute of Medicine recommends that adults get a minimum of 0.8 grams of protein for every kilogram of body weight per day—that’s about 58 grams for a 160 pound adult. In the U.S., adults get an average of 15 percent of their calories from protein; for a person who requires a 2,000-calorie-per-day-diet, that’s about 75 grams of protein. In healthy people, increasing protein intake to 20 to 25 percent of calories can reduce the risk of heart disease, if the extra protein replaces refined carbohydrates, such as white bread, white rice, or sugary drinks. Higher protein diets can also be beneficial for weight loss, in conjunction with a reduced calorie diet, although long-term evidence of their effectiveness is wanting.

For people in good health, consuming 20 to 25 percent of calories from protein won’t harm the kidneys. For people with diabetes or early-stage kidney disease, however, the American Diabetes Association recommends limiting protein intake to 0.8 to 1.0 gram of protein per kilogram of body weight (roughly 10 percent of energy intake), since this may help improve kidney function; in later stage kidney disease, sticking to the 0.8 grams per kilogram minimum is advisable. Consult a doctor or a registered dietitian for individualized protein recommendations.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't know of any apps, but have seen people recommend this online carb counting course: http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Gosh Bluetit
Currently trying 25% carbs, 25% protein, 50% fat and 1200 calories

Love to know a day's menu with 50% fat and 1200 calories!!

Now that Link from
Brunnaria is more my style in that it said nothing has been proven about high protein. I do a lot of exercise - usually 2 cardio classes an evening (this evening I did Body Combat and then Tabata) and I am elderly (65) so I reckon I am allowed extra protein from your link!!.

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I then asked about carb counting, since all my online diabetic contacts had talked about it, and were horrified I wasn't doing it already. She said that really it was for type 1s and I didn't need to bother with it.
I think she misunderstood which kind of carb counting you meant. T1s (and T2s on insulin) are taught to carb count (but NOT to reduce carbs) in order to match their insulin dose to their carb intake. But what you were after was counting carbs in order to reduce them, The fact she didn't realize this means she probably couldn't help you much even if you stuck with her.

Kate