Difference between FLaxseed and Linseed.

simply_h

Hello All,

Hope we are well.

I am confused between flaxseed and Linseed.

I having been buying pre ground/milled flaxseed from a health shop (H&B) for £4.99 for 425grms.

But have been told that Golden Linseed (which is a whole seed) is the same stuff, but you have to grind it yourself in a coffee grinder AND it becomes Flaxseed… Is this True.???

As I have checked the carb content of
Ground/ Milled Flax – per 100gram = 1.7grams
Golden Linseed per 100gram = 34.25grams

Is this correct OR am I missing something here???

As if Golden Linseed has that many carbs in it, I shall be staying well away and stick to the Ground/Milled Flax instead.

Any ideas,

Cheers
Simply_h

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Linseed is indeed the same as Flaxseed and comes in two types brown and yellow (golden) I have no idea if the carbs are the same as I dont eat them, I just rub them on my cricket bat, well the oil anyway :)

WhitbyJet

simply_h - here is a link for you
http://www.livestrong.com/article/19245 ... -benefits/

Personally I think the golden linseed tastes slightly nuttier than the brown, but it might be imagination. I bake my own low carb bread, a white loaf that has linseed flour in, I use the golden linseed for that so that the loaf looks as white as possible if know what I mean. Flaxseed or linseed = the same, I googled this though because I was curious as to why different names, http://caloriecount.about.com/differenc ... seed-q7642. It made me smile, maybe we just need to make sure we get our flax/linseed oil from the correct department in the superstore.

I have learnt not to buy ready ground flax/linseed, no matter how careful I was with storage, it always turned rancid. Also if you grind your own, fresh as you need it you avoid getting that fishy flavour that sometimes comes with it.

All the best x

bmorgen

As I have checked the carb content of
Ground/ Milled Flax – per 100gram = 1.7grams
Golden Linseed per 100gram = 34.25grams

This is probably carbs versus net carbs. Net carbs have the fiber carbs deducted. Net carbs is more helpful in measuring the impact on blood glucose. Seeds have loads of carb as fiber. Some sources place the net carbs in 100g of linseed at 4g carb. The other consideration is GI/GL. Flour is likely to release its carbs more quickly than whole seeds.

Reactions: 2 people

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As WhitbyJet said, they are low carb, both varieties. They have a lot of fibre in them, which is indigestible carbohydrate, so is not counted when you read the amount of carbs in the nutritional info on the back of packets. In the US, the nutritional info for carbs contains fibre, so sometimes it looks like there's more carbs if you look at US nutritional info.

I use ground flaxseed to make low carb porridge. I make it in bulk:

125g ground flaxseed
90g wheat bran
90g ground almonds
sweetener to taste.

You can buy it ground from Holland and Barrett, or you can use a food processor. You can also use it to make low carb muffins, there's plenty of recipes on the forum for them, here's one by BadCat: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=45789&p=413652&hilit=flaxseed+muffin#p413652

meoman

Thanks for the infos both Samjb and Whitbyjet ; very useful... I am off to the Supermarket next to the Sports Shop this afternoon. I will assume if I go in to the Sports Shop its for my Cricket Bat OR its for ME in the Supermarket. I know Supermarkets are pretty big but don't think they will have Cricket Bat Oil ;-) .. may be wrong ..... Cheers

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We are quite lucky, in our area we can by 1kg bag of linseed for £1.68p WP_20141114_15_35_36_Pro.jpg
We grind our own.
Here is the link to the store.Northampton
Daily Bread Co-operative Ltd.
The Old Laundry,
Bedford Road
Northampton
NN4 7AD
Tel. (01604) 621531
Fax. (01604) 603725
They do have a on line store.

A

AnnieC

I buy packets of milled linseed in Aldi you can get the plain Linseed or the ones with other things in it The ones I have at the moment are milled Linseed with Sesame seeds Blueberries and Raspberries and the other is Linseed with Gojiberries Sunflower and Pumpkin seeds I sprinkle them on berries and greek yogurt. I suppose you could cook with them The only time I tried to make a loaf with some ground linseed in it it was so heavy I could have used it for a house brick it was really greasy to.

Phub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hate the doctor's surgery. The Doctor is okay though.
Linseed is indeed the same as Flaxseed and comes in two types brown and yellow (golden) I have no idea if the carbs are the same as I dont eat them, I just rub them on my cricket bat, well the oil anyway :)

Flaxseed makes exceedingly good porridge; mixed with chia seed and coconut milk. Expensive stuff, I buy 5 kilo sacks and premix them. I was missing my porridge, so I got the recipe as a substitute. Delishiososoh , although it can have searching effects on some folk. So try it small quantities first. first.