different strains of metformin

dmk12

Hi
I had my visit to the diabetic clinic at the hospital on thursday. My blood pressure is very high at 200/100 and my hba1c test is 8.2having came down from (9.3). I am having trouble with the side effects of the pills for the blood pressure so the cardiologest has tried giving me a low does and gradually increasing it so I can tolorate it easier.
The doctor I spoke to on thursday told me that my blood pressure, Poorly controled diabetis and any complications I get from this is my own fault he also said if I have a tunor then that would be my own fault as well.
Having been on metformin before and Me not being able to tolorate it the doctor told me he was going to put me on a different strain of metformin. I have never heard of this and I wonder if any one else has and could give me some information on this I had a serch on the net but couldnt find anything. They are testing for cushions now.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi dmk12.

The Dr who gave you such advice frankly needs some lessons in his 'bedside manner'. The sentiment may be right, if you do nothing to control your Diabetes, but his way of putting it to you is not !

The Metformin that you refer to is probably the Modified Release (MR) or Slow Release (SR) which are both the same. The doseage is released into your system over a much longer period so minimising any possible gastric problems.

dmk12

thanks for your reply. My diabetic control and blood pressure control is something I am working on. my diet is getting better and I am finding out what foods to avoid. I take my medication as directed by my doctor its unfortunate that I have not had good results from some of the drugs I have been given. I have also started more structured excersise to see if that helped. the doctor I spoke to didnt ask about my excersise and asked very little about my diet. He just took it for granted that I must be abusing my body.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
dmk
At the risk of getting jumped on by other forum members, I would recommend you try reduced carbs. It usually helps with Blood Pressure as well as blood sugar and weight if that's also an issue for you as it is for me. 200/100 is potentially a death trap.
I've decided to try True Atkins for a bit. I am very careful with carbs anyway, but my weight is stuck, so I've decided to do the Atkins "Fat Fast"
what has your doctor told you to eat and has he/she given you a meter and strips?
I suggest you download a copy of the Neilson 44 month low carb diet study and show it to this doctor. I can't remember the reference, but Google will find it.

dmk12

thanks for that. I was told to eat carbs at every meal by the diatitian. Not given any dietry advice from any doctor so far. did try low carb diet for a couple of months didnt really help that much with the hbac1 test reading 9.3 at the time. have stopped eating breakfast cerial all together because of the sugar spikes. switched to an oat bread for slow carb release. still trying to eat plenty of fruit and veg. having the cortasol test on tuesday and see the cardioligst a week on monday. start kick boxing tomorrow hopefully this will help. tai chi is chilling me out a bit put me back in the mood to do something more as I use to do karate. thanks for the advice I think the idea of someone telling me if I had a tumor it would be my own fault was very upsetting.
D

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
D

It may be that a lot of your issues stem from the suspected Cushings Disease (cortisol can counteract insulin). Your cortisol test will confirm whether you have Cushings Disease and then, if you have, you may need scans to determine the exact cause. Once your Cushings status is determined your other issues can be addressed.

Hope all goes well for you.

Doug

ShyGirl

Hi,

Your doctor sounds horrible and should learn to treat patients in a sensitive manner!
When I first took Metformin my body tolerated it but a year later and I was living in the bathroom. After changing the way I eat back in January I tried it again and my body can cope so maybe changing your diet will help too? Make sure you take it with food too.

dmk12

thanks for all your help. I had no idea that insulin could be affected by cortasol. i will wait and see what the new blood results will be before i decide on the metformin. I did take it with food the last time i was on it, i still spent a lot of time with my head down the toilet throwing up. maybe the slow relise would work better,
thanks again for all your sugestions.
D

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Dmk

How are you doing? Any progress?

Regards