Difficulties With starting school

corinna4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
My 4 year old son started school on Tuesday and I am so upset with how the school have treated him. Today I have been told by my son's preschool that they received a phone call from his class teacher (without my knowledge) at this new school complaining about how much time it was taking to test his bloods, that he was unstable and that she should not be expected to check how much of his carbs he has eaten at meal times. |My son was diagnosed in October 2016 and the nursery he attended was so good at incorporating his needs. I need some advise as to how to deal with the school - can anyone share their stories/advise/experience of the transition when their child started primary school.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd make an appointment to,see the Head and make a complaint @corinna4

I'd have been fuming if that was my son.

Could you get your son's DSN to speak to them?

Reactions: gvintagedrken

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Agree with Noblehead - Diabetes UK are really promoting safe guarding and care for T1 kids in schools, their helpline will offer some useful advice.

Ideally there needs to be someone appointed at school to manage your son's care, this is an 'agreement' between you and them about how he should be managed in school, they need to understand the importance of his care. Sadly there isn't a standard for this, however this is what Diabetes UK are striving towards.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope that you just ooze sympathy at their inability to cope - particularly to the head teacher about how hard it is to find people who can manage some simple arithmetic.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My 4 year old son started school on Tuesday and I am so upset with how the school have treated him. Today I have been told by my son's preschool that they received a phone call from his class teacher (without my knowledge) at this new school complaining about how much time it was taking to test his bloods, that he was unstable and that she should not be expected to check how much of his carbs he has eaten at meal times. |My son was diagnosed in October 2016 and the nursery he attended was so good at incorporating his needs. I need some advise as to how to deal with the school - can anyone share their stories/advise/experience of the transition when their child started primary school.

Have a look at the Julie Wyper v North Lanarkshire Council case from 2013. The Additional Support Needs Tribunal held that a school should have recruited support staff able to deal with bolusing and blood testing seeing as some of the staff were a bit antsy about it. It's a Scottish case but it's based on the Equality Act 2010 which is UK wide.

Brief report on it here:
https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/legal-work-scotland/julie-wyper-v-north-lanarkshire-council

And the anonymised full judgment is here:
https://www.asntscotland.gov.uk/sites/default/files/decisions/DDC 01 07 2013.doc

Also an article by their lawyer:
http://govanlc.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/glc-scottish-test-case-win-for-school.html?m=1

mmariyamm

Hi im mother of newly diagnosed type1 .. my son is 5 and attends kindegarten... i live in pakistan and v dont hv much literacy regarding type1 managemnt .. dont even hv a hospital nurse .. wat i did was to set an approx dose for basal and short acting insulin at home .. i make sure he has a proper breakfast at home and gv him his shot.. both long and short acting .. based on home experience he does go into hypo after about 2 hours .. so i try to gv him 10 gm carb in his lunch box i e oat cookies and some protein lyk sausage and nuts etc .. i also put a packet of milk for him to drink at hometime wen he sits in school van .. so far it has worked for me .. wen i check his pre meal lunch BS its gud ..for u i wud say to err on the side of underdosing rather than overdose him .. kids may get cranky wen others test BS .. and ofcourse ppl dont understand the obligations with type 1 kids.. hope it helps .. all the best

lumusislight

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
What services can I contact to get additional information about starting school and how to deal with the anxiety? I've sent an email to Virtual Medican Centre to get a consultation and write my paper for me a to do list to overcome my depression. But I know that I won't be able to handle it myself. Nothing helps me calm down. I know I still have time, but my daughter is also worried, when she sees me panicking.

When we were chosing a school, I was worried all the time that something could go wrong. When the school year started, it was unbearable to see my son getting irritated, when he had to get up earlier now (preschool started at 9:30). Getting ready for school was really a problem for us. But one of the most crucial aspects here is to be emotionally prepared for starting school. You can consult Oxfordshire Children’s Diabetes Service - they helped me a lot.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When we were chosing a school, I was worried all the time that something could go wrong. When the school year started, it was unbearable to see my son getting irritated, when he had to get up earlier now (preschool started at 9:30). Getting ready for school was really a problem for us. But one of the most crucial aspects here is to be emotionally prepared for starting school. You can consult Oxfordshire Children’s Diabetes Service - they helped me a lot.

Hi there, the post is over 2 years old but your post will be helpful to some anyway I'm sure. x