Digestive Enzymes: An Unexpected Diabetes Game Changer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Short term crutches are Ok, the problem occurs when you get comfortable using them and decide your perfectly happy with your new lifestyle. But then one day you may want to go surfing or jogging... or perhaps the muscles in that leg waste away as they are not being used etc.

There is a route cause for everything positive and negative and when you try to mask the symptoms of a negative, then another negative will take its place.

Insulin causes diabetes - Massive excess insulin production causes cells to resist the insulin in order to protect themselves (excess insulin is very harmful to our cells - and they know it) and thus insulin resistance is born meaning glucose is now unable to enter the cells as insulin (the key to the cell door) is being rejected and instead glucose
remains in the blood where is raises our BG more and more however we try to mask this by injecting ourselves with more insulin (our crutch) which then forces insulin into the cells and thus allows glucose to enter our cells however as we do this our cells become more and more afraid of insulin and resist it more and more meaning we must inject more and more and over time our cells are now so damaged we develop serious illness such as cancer or need amputations.

The route cause of our problem above is excess insulin, if we remove the excess then our cells have no problem processing safe amounts of insulin and does not need to reject it in order to protect themselves and diabetes is gone.

However back to the subject at hand; when your digestion is mess (such as mine) your blood glucose raises slowly but eventually to dangerously high levels meaning massive amounts of insulin is needed to compensate in an attempt to get all that blood sugar into the cells and then the cells panic... guess what's next.

Sorryfor the rant, long story short-you must find the route cause, which as far as digestion is concerned, I believe to be liver and gallbladder flushes.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@diabetesman101 sorry to hear about your IBS/SIBO, both life changing conditions - (I have IBD).

Some need to use medication and/or insulin, in addition to diet and physical activities, others manage with lifestyle changes only. I'm in the latter group. Have you thought about what strategies you're going to use to bring your blood glucose levels down? It sounds like you have a blood glucose meter. What is your fasting blood glucose and your 2-hour post meal glucose?

Has anyone introduced you to the low carbohydrate high fat diet? It works well for many diabetics, type 2's and type 1's. :)

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This just showed up in my mailbox today - (read John Whitcomb's blogpost, Lack of Zinc Hurts Digestion here... http://blog.newsinnutrition.com/2016/06/lack-of-zinc-hurts-digestion/ )

Subclinical zinc deficiency impairs pancreatic digestive enzyme activity and digestive capacity of weaned piglets. (British Journal of Nutrition / Volume 116 / Issue 03 / August 2016, pp 425-433 Published online: 27 May 2016)

Here's the link to the abstract... http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?aid=10384318&fileId=S0007114516002105

Abstract

This study investigated the effects of short-term subclinical Zn deficiency on exocrine pancreatic activity and changes in digestive capacity. A total of forty-eight weaned piglets were fed ad libitum a basal diet (maize and soyabean meal) with adequate Zn supply (88 mg Zn/kg diet) during a 2-week acclimatisation phase. Animals were then assigned to eight dietary treatment groups (n 6) according to a complete randomised block design considering litter, live weight and sex. All pigs were fed restrictively (450 g diet/d) the basal diet but with varying ZnSO4.7H2O additions, resulting in 28·1, 33·6, 38·8, 42·7, 47·5, 58·2, 67·8 and 88·0 mg Zn/kg diet for a total experimental period of 8 d. Pancreatic Zn concentrations and pancreatic activities of trypsin, chymotrypsin, carboxypeptidase A and B, elastase and α-amylase exhibited a broken-line response to stepwise reduction in dietary Zn by declining beneath thresholds of 39·0, 58·0, 58·0, 41·2, 47·5, 57·7 and 58·0 mg Zn/kg diet, respectively. Furthermore, carboxypeptidase B and α-amylase activities were significantly lower in samples with reduced pancreatic Zn contents. Coefficients of faecal digestibility of DM, crude protein, total lipids and crude ash responded similarly to pancreatic enzyme activities by declining below dietary thresholds of 54·7, 45·0, 46·9 and 58·2 mg Zn/kg diet, respectively. In conclusion, (1) subclinical Zn deficiency impaired pancreatic exocrine enzymes, (2) this response was connected to pancreatic Zn metabolism and (3) the decline in catalytic activity impaired faecal digestibility already after 1 week of insufficient alimentary Zn supply and very early before clinical deficiency symptoms arise.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Winnie53

Glad to hear you are in the latter and I should mention everything i have said above only applies for type 2's only.

I strongly believe gut bacteria to be the route cause of diabeties and IBS/IBD, I say this as I went through I period of taking strong probiotics and my diabetes 100% subsided completely (believe it or not) however I then developed crippling pain in my stomach (a negative was replaced by a negative) when eating anything which prompted a high release of insulin i.e. beef or a large amount of sugar.

My theory for all type 2 diabetics is that bacteria determines weather our insulin receptors accepts insulin or not, meaning that we either have pain - like the majority of ibs suffers (our cells are accepting insulin but are being very damaged) but no blood sugar issues or we have high blood sugar (our cells rejecting insulin to protect themselves) but no pain, or others have gut bacteria which makes them produce massive amounts of insulin and forces insulin into their cells causes them to become very fat due to the excess insulin and indirectly eventually leads to insulin resistance through obesity... These are 3 separate gut flora examples relating to insulin that spring to mind anyway.

http://www.naturalhealth365.com/gut-bacteria-type-2-diabetes-1694.html

As far as high fat low carb goes, I've tried this on many occasions until I was able to figure out why it didn't work, the fat aspect of it is fine and has no effect on BG, however when combined with protein my BG sky rockets over a long period of time due to gluconeogenesis. however protein on a low fat diet doesn't bother me at all, so this must be caused by fat which numbs / coats my insulin receptors and since half of protein consumed turns into glucose this causes me very high BG. Similar effects occur when I combine as little as 5g of fat with carbs, however carbs alone are not an issue.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Winnie53

Glad to hear you are in the latter and I should mention everything i have said above only applies for type 2's only.

I strongly believe gut bacteria to be the route cause of diabeties and IBS/IBD, I say this as I went through I period of taking strong probiotics and my diabetes 100% subsided completely (believe it or not) however I then developed crippling pain in my stomach (a negative was replaced by a negative) when eating anything which prompted a high release of insulin i.e. beef or a large amount of sugar.

My theory for all type 2 diabetics is that bacteria determines weather our insulin receptors accepts insulin or not, meaning that we either have pain - like the majority of ibs suffers (our cells are accepting insulin but are being very damaged) but no blood sugar issues or we have high blood sugar (our cells rejecting insulin to protect themselves) but no pain, or others have gut bacteria which makes them produce massive amounts of insulin and forces insulin into their cells causes them to become very fat due to the excess insulin and indirectly eventually leads to insulin resistance through obesity... These are 3 separate gut flora examples relating to insulin that spring to mind anyway.

http://www.naturalhealth365.com/gut-bacteria-type-2-diabetes-1694.html

As far as high fat low carb goes, I've tried this on many occasions until I was able to figure out why it didn't work, the fat aspect of it is fine and has no effect on BG, however when combined with protein my BG sky rockets over a long period of time due to gluconeogenesis. however protein on a low fat diet doesn't bother me at all, so this must be caused by fat which numbs / coats my insulin receptors and since half of protein consumed turns into glucose this causes me very high BG. Similar effects occur when I combine as little as 5g of fat with carbs, however carbs alone are not an issue.

Interesting! It just goes to show how individual we all are, and how one set of advice doesn't suit us all.
My experience of protein and fat is totally different, and I flourish on LCHF.

I hope you continue to find answers to your individual quest!

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@diabetesman101 I think you're on the right track with improving your gut flora. That's where I'm heading next. Interesting article, thank you. Will go back and read the references later this weekend. I have to go now because my diabetes group is gathering today for a potluck.

I have more questions...

When you were doing the low carb high fat diet can you list all the sources of fat and protein you were eating? I too had problems in the beginning. It took a lot of reading and consultation here on the "Low-carb Diet Forum" to find the foods and combinations that worked best for me. Not sure, but might be able to help. I'll give it my best try...

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I watched an incredible interview with Prof Panda and a very able lady carrying out the interview today. It's long - over 1 hour, but riveting throughout and they touch specifically on gut biome and the negative impact of sweeteners, independently supported by research.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@KevinPotts if you can provide the title of the video and Professor Panda's name, perhaps the name of the interviewer too, I can post a link. I tried searching for "Professor Panda" and got no where. :)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria yes we are all very individual, im glad you are flourishing.

@Winnie53 This may be of interest to you -

The above video shows how bacteria can directly make cells insulin resistant and thus causes high BG as insulin production does not compensate for the insulin resistance as this group of bacteria knows that high amounts of insulin will damage the body. I am in this group being a 19 year old male at 5 foot 8, at 119 pounds.

However for most this is not the case and bacteria instead makes people fat by telling the body to produce large amounts of insulin to compensate for the insulin resistance it has created, however once obese the body can simply not produce the required insulin to compensate as te body is ridiculesly insulin resistant and insulin medication is then needed. - however for this group of people if weight is lost then regardless of the bacteria then insulin resistance will drop and the body will be able to compensate once again by producing masses of insulin.

the fact bacteria has such a huge impact on our body shouldn't be supprising given we are around 90%bacteria - http://bigthink.com/amped/humans-10-human-and-90-bacterial

Bacteria is a good subject to focus on however don't loose sight of the fact that bacteria is not a route cause its the indirect result of a true cause and trying to increase, decrease or replace the bacteria in your body by any means other than addressing and correcting the route cause is going to be negative.

In regards to my HFLC diet i was eating anything with a high fat content however whenever combining it with more than 5-10g of protein i would experience high BG. unfortunately eating pure fat was a pretty unrealistic solution for myself so i ended up on HCLF and am doing very well, but not cured - which is my goal and which led me to this forum. Thank you for your offer to help anyway.

The route cause of a negative (disease promoting) gut flora;

Why do you have a negative disease promoting ratio of harmful bacteria to positive? this is due to the PH of the stomach which ultimately determines the bacteria which lives there. So why do you have a low stomach PH? well this is due to low stomach acid production. So why do you have low stomach acid and is this a problem? This is due to bacteria in thebody which prevents my stomach acid from activating in order for the harmful bacteria to live and thrive and without stomach acid digestive the digestive enzymes do not get secreted as stomach acid is the first domino to fall in the digestive process. So how do you eliminate the bacteria in order to get the stomach acid to start functioning again? Harmful bacteria first began due to inadequate digestion and undigested food, the bacteria arrived to help the body break down food however eventually the amount of harmful bacteria in my body became too much for the body to process and they started changeing mechanics in the body in order to make life optimal for them. So how do you improve your digestion and remove the need for harmful bacteria? by increasing bile flow by removing gallstones which are blocking the bile ducts - route cause found.

I hope i made the above clear enough - once the route cause is determined and resolved everything else will fall into place.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Everyone s différent. Ive been trying to get to the root cause of this for Seven months. I havé one more major test (EUS) next week to Check on organes. My fasting glucose has risen from 5.3 to 6.0 in the last month, but Will need a proper blood test to Check this. So sometimes, getting to the root cause takes a little Time....i m obese but losing two kilos à month so médication hasnt been recommended so far.... Lets Wait and see. Bad digestion triggers anxiety and dépression because of past problems so my doc has suggestif using aides until this is sorted .

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I havé gilberts so slow functioing liver anyway . For gut flora, i use some natural stuff - Works well

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@diabetesman101 Bear with me. I'm still trying to understand what you were eating when you were eating a low carbohydrate high fat diet.

When you say...

"I was eating anything with a high fat content, however, whenever combining it with more than 5-10g of protein, I would experience high BG."

I'm not sure what you mean.

For example,

a small, 3 1/2 ounce serving of steak would provide you with 25 grams of protein. (5 to 10 grams of protein would only be 0.7 to 1.4 ounces of steak).

a quarter pound ground beef patty (80% lean) would provide you with 20 grams of protein and 12.5 grams of fat.

three ounces of chicken breast would provide you with 27 grams of protein.​

Question 1: Can you give me specific examples of what a typical serving of steak, hamburger, chicken, or pork would be for you in ounces?

Also, I'm not sure what do you mean by "eating anything with high fat content"?

Question 2: What specifically were the "high fat content" foods you were eating? And how much?

For example,

one ounce of cheddar cheese contains 7 grams of protein and 9 grams of fat. So if you ate a quarter pound ground beef patty with a one ounce slice of cheddar cheese, you would be eating 27 grams of protein and 21.5 grams of fat. That amount of protein would exceed my protein needs for one meal. The excess would be converted to glucose, which would in turn increase my blood glucose level.

Keep in mind also that the vegetables you eat also have protein, fat, and carbohydrates, as do starchy grains or legumes.
Summary: Without knowing what you were eating and drinking specifically for breakfast, lunch, and dinner on the low carbohydrate diet, it's hard for me to evaluate your statement that you could not control your blood glucose levels on it. Also, it takes time to bring insulin and glucose levels down. I don't know how long you were on the diet.

I did read your post. I also watched the video you posted. I understand most of what you're saying, but you're covering so much ground I'm getting lost. Sorry, will try to read it again in the morning. :)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Winnie53 an example of what i ate for breakfast: 10 chicken wings with about 4 table spoons of olive oil - which was enough to cause high BG due to the protein contained. to be honest i have no desire to even attempt that diet again. I put months into trying to figure out how to make it work but eventually realised the only way around it was to drink pure oil which of course is not realistic.

Anyway i wanted to post back on here following my first liver and gallbladder flush last Wednesday as the results have been incredible to say the least.

I am a very rational person and was not expecting much results following one flush and was fully prepared to perform the flush 5 or more times before expecting to see some results however the day following my flush i ate a usual meal of rice and vegetable and noticed my BG did not rise, without any digestive enzymes. For my dinner that night i decided to combine rice with 2 table spoons of fat (which would normally cause me very high BG as the fat coats the insulin receptors - which is the whole low fat theory) however my BG still did not rise. I tried this exact same experiment multiple times throughout the year and every time my BG has shot up following a high carb AND high fat meal.

It has been 6 days now since my flush and i have been eating high carb AND high fat with no supplements and have not experienced high blood sugar once.

Don't get me wrong i'm not claiming i have cured my diabetes, as of yet anyway. I know i still have a bacteria imbalance (which i expect will subside following many flushes as explained in my previous posts) and i am infact now struggling with low blood sugar following meals which i assume is due to my cells accepting too much insulin as a pose to being resistant and this is completely new territory for me. fascinating none the less.

Overall theres a lot im still trying to figure out following my flush however what i have gathered is that my pancreas is obviously performing a lot better hence the better digestion of my food and i can only assume the insulin resistance has subsided is due to protein membranes which have been cleared out of the cells due to the flush and my liver performing better overall which is also evident in my skin.

All which can be better explained below by the author of the liver and gallbladder flush.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andreas moritz

'One of the misleading directions that diabetics have been given for decades is to reduce carbohydrates (and instead eat mostly proteins), since the sugars they contain would raise the blood sugar and endanger their lives. It is obvious that refined, manufactured carbohydrates affect everyone's health, not just diabetics. What the patients are not being told is that the amount of insulin needed for a piece of steak is way more than the amount needed to process 1/2 pound of pure white sugar. Since the pancreas cells are uanble to come up with that amount of insulin (even in a healthy body), the unused protein ends up becoming deposited in the connective tissues, from where it is taken up by the basal membranes of the blood capillary walls. Eventually, the basal membranes have accumulated so much protein that, even simple sugars cannot be pass through them. Hence, they remain trapped in the blood.

The pancreas realizes this through intricate feedback mechanisms and cell enzyme messages. Putting more insulin in the blood at his stage would be suicidal, because too much insulin in the body causes cancer, especially pancreatic cancer and colon cancer. Consequently, the pancreas has to destroy or put to sleep a large number of its insulin-producing cells.

It is obvious, that this act of cancer-preventive self-preservation means that there is not enough insulin around to transport the sugar out of the blood stream. Doctors call this miraculous feat of survival a disease, and they continue to give their patients the advice to eat lots of protein foods. I have had insulin-dependent patients become vegan, and within less than 6 weeks show no more signs of diabetes, for the first time in 20 years.'

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@diabetesman101 I continue to be concerned about your stance on the low carbohydrate high fat diet. Wish you'd come here and let us help you resolve the problems you were having - (it's not a high protein diet; excessive protein intake at any meal will spike blood glucose) - but for the moment, that's unimportant.

Your response to a liver flush is intriguing and exciting.

I'm unfamiliar with Andreas Moritz's work. So far I've learned that he developed a number of chronic diseases at a very young age and his doctors believed he wouldn't survive another 10 years. At age 15, he began experimenting with how different foods affected him and discovered that he did not tolerate animal sources of protein. Once he eliminated that food group from his diet, he recovered and lived into his late 50's. My understanding his health began failing due to "complications that led to heart valve failure, which stemmed from his childhood "severe arrhythmia". He refused conventional medical treatment - (I'm going to speculate that he didn't have medical insurance) - and died in 2012.

The results you describe following your doing a liver flush are very encouraging. Where did you learn how to do it? Was it one source or multiple sources? I hope you'll keep us posted on what you're learning works best for you.

You might be interested in learning about metabolic typing by orthodontist William Donald Kelly... http://www.drkelley.info/dr-kelleys-metabolic-typing/ Scroll down to learn the 12 diets he used with his clients. Nicholas Gonzalez, M.D., who is considered to be a quack by skeptics, wrote and lectured about Kelly's work extensively. His treatments for cancer were based on Kelly's, and those who from the early 1900's who influenced Kelly's work. I wish I could refer you to the 3-hour lecture he gave in 2010 describing Kelly's recovery from cancer using diet and nutritional supplements, and it's extensive medical history but it's been removed from YouTube.

Sadly, Dr. Gonzalez died suddenly and unexpectedly of a heart-related issue in 2015. I'm going to speculate that The Nicholas Gonzalez Foundation is planning to sell the 3-hour lecture to fund the foundation's educational efforts.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Winnie53

Eliminating protein food did relive many of his symptoms however it was only through liver flushing that he achieved optimal health as prior to his first flush he would have such severe gallstone attacks he would faint.

Personally I read his book but its not necessary unless you really want to understand the science behind everything which is all pretty daunting as he basically explains the whole digestive system. I'll link you to a good website with detailed instructions on how to perform a flush.

Here's a simple guide.

1. drink 32 ounces of apple juice for 6 days (which softens the stones)
2. on the 6th day do not eat past 14.00pm
3. drink 1 tablespoon of espon salt at 18:00pm
4. drink another tablespoon of espon salt at 20:00pm
5. mix together olive oil and grapefruit juice at 22:00pm, drink solution before 10:15 and go to sleep (6z juice / 4oz olive oil)
6. wake up at 6:30am for another table spoon of espon salt
7. take another table spoon of espon salt at 8:30am

Other (optional) tips;
- For the 6 days leading up to the flush do not over eat
- On the 6th day do not eat any protein or fats
- Ensure to get a colonic irrigation 1-2 days before AND 1- 3 days after the flush (this is what made me put off doing my first flush for months as its pricey, inconvenient and unpleasant but hey every bad has a good and I would have no issues doing them again, given my results.)
- Do not drink cold beverages within 3 days of doing the flush and 3 days after (makes the liver weak and there's going to be a lot of toxins flushed out that your liver will need to deal with so you need it optimal)

Guide; http://www.davidwolfe.com/liver-gallbladder-flush-protocol/

When it doubt - read reviews; https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazing-Liver-Gallbladder-Flush/dp/0976571501

Im unfamiliar with William Donald Kenny. I'll check out the link you gave me when I get a chance sounds intriguing.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I spent a good part of the morning yesterday reading Amazon reviews on Andreas Moritz's book, The Amazing Liver and Gallbladder Flush (Updated 2012) yesterday. Very interesting. I'd like to try it next year when I have the time (and funds) needed to do it. For now I'd like to continue learning more about it from a variety of sources. My first reaction to the apple juice was that it would be a problem, but 32 ounces over 6 days would be 5 ounces a day. I could walk off the high blood glucose levels daily.

William Donald Kelly was thought to be a genius, an innovator. Sadly, his mental health declined in his later years. Nicholas Gonzalez, M.D. best represents his work through the books he wrote summarizing Kelly's work and adding to Kelly's work. It's a long story, involving a number of unique funding sources gained though Gonzalez's mentor. Had Gonzalez not spent years reviewing and documenting Kelly's patient files I don't think his work would be known today.

Something else I'd like to do next year is go back and read both Kelly's and Gonzalez's books. Much to my amusement, I learned a month ago that we have a nutritionist who trained under Kelly decades ago. Need to see if I can persuade him to have lunch with me sometime. :)

Do keep us posted on how you're doing. :)

sud5nala

Then came the inability to digest food, especially fats and carbs, without taking digestive supplements (papaye and ananas). I've had MRI, gastroscopy, extensive blood tests (they only found Gilbert's syndrome). I'm due for a EUS - endoscopic ultrasound on 6 July but if that doesn't turn up anything, then the theory is that it's metabolic syndrome due to extreme weight changes that's putting pressure on my organs. Seems logical.....

Alicki, what did they have to say about the effects of Gilbert's syndrome?

Gilbert's syndrome is a good thing. Since about 2005, 2 or 3 studies have concurred that free (unconjugated) bilirubin is a powerful antioxidant and unusually high bilirubin was associated with less cardiovascular disease. When I was young, I had one bilirubin measurement, it was 2.3 (which isn't really high; the champions have 3.5 to 5). Nowadays it's lower, usually 1.3 to 1.6.

GS was discovered around 1900. For the next century, medical dictionaries said it had no known positive or negative effects on health. Now a U.S. National Institutes of Health Website is casually saying it's bad, but they must not have a basis for saying so.

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think it's bad or good, but it does effect the liver that becomes sluggish. I don't know if it participated in the fact that I had stones in my bile ducts but I can tell immediately when it rises. Nausea And tummy ache. There are two types of GS, one that makes you go yellow and one that doesn't. I had a genetic test so I know I don't have the yellow one. Gilbert's doesn't make the bilirubin go all that high. I'm between 22 and 40 (continental mesurements). But it does need to b checked because hemolysis can also cause high bilirubin .