Direct payments for carer's?

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
hello
i have had a visit today from my care worker . He visited me to follow up my progress after my bad experiance last week. I had asked if i could alter a few things to maximise my care package .He has decided that i should be awarded direct payments so i can tailor my needs . I just wondered if anyone knows anything about it or either it's success or demise . :? :? :? JF.

jacquiel

They are trying to "encourage" everyone onto direct payments

You will pay for the care that the council paid for on your behalf, and in theory it shouldnt make any difference to you, except that you have more choice about what services to purchase, and where from.

However, I see it as a slippery slope where agencies have carte blanche to offer less for more money... they do not have to keep to an agreed price level with one large buyer (the council) being able to drive down prices due to economies of scale.

Pessimistic yes, but in the end it will probably all be direct payments, and you will not have much choice. Market driven tory ploy that sounds good in theory, but ahemmm - wait and see!

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Personally
I don't like the direct payment and we have elected NOT to go down that route
All my care needs are provided by the local council organized by social workers
My wife works full time ,has more than she needs to deal with on her plate Now
I do not wish to be bothered with all the paper work ,Half the time unable to do anything
I was Informed that social services Now have to offer you this option of direct payment .
The funds can only be spent on Care you will have to keep your paper work in order.
Its is your choice if you wish to organize and employ your own carers

Obversely direct payments would lower the amount of work social services would need to do

Its Your choice ,You can Not be made to move onto direct payments

Ask your social worker to explain it in full to you
cannot use direct payments to pay for a service from:

* your spouse (husband or wife)
* your civil partner
* a partner with whom you live as a couple
* a close relative with whom you live, or the spouse or partner of that close relative
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/disabledpeople/financialsupport/dg_10016128

Bob