Disabilities Question On Job Application

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I have just done a quick search and this has not been discussed recently.

I am wondering how I should fill out the 'Disabilities' section on a job application form. It asks 'Do you consider yourself to have a disability?' I have Type 1 diabetes but I don't consider that I have a disability. Then in guidance on disabilities diabetes is listed under Longstanding Illness or Health Condition and asks to categorize your disability. And then if you wish to be considered under the Guaranteed Interview Scheme.

Am I obliged to select that I have a long term health condition even though I don't consider myself to have a disability? Can I reply No and then select that I have a long term health condition?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@hels It's up to you. I find many forms ask "Do you have a disability that will affect your ability to do this job?" I always answer No to that. If they then go on to ask about health conditions, I mention diabetes then.

I think I'd personally probably answer Yes to your question above, simply because diabetes is classed as a disability and is protected by law against discrimination.

From what you've said, it looks like they may be asking as part of the guaranteed interview scheme. You need to weigh up if a guaranteed interview would balance up for you, or whether you'd prefer to declare your diabetes later. But if you'll be mentioning it anyway, then personally I'd just tick Yes for disability. As I said though - completely your choice : )

Edited to add - it depends on the wording of the question. Obviously, you should always tell the truth and give correct information. I read the question carefully then answer according to how it's worded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @azure, yes it is part of the guaranteed interview scheme. I feel a bit of a fraud whichever way I answer - either not saying I have diabetes or saying I consider myself to have a disability!

Reactions: Bentley_Robinson

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @azure, yes it is part of the guaranteed interview scheme. I feel a bit of a fraud whichever way I answer - either not saying I have diabetes or saying I consider myself to have a disability!

If there's space, maybe you could add an appropriate sentence? Eg that you don't need the guaranteed interview, or that diabetes doesn't affect your ability to do the job - whatever you feel best.

I tend to make a judgement for each form I fil in, depending on the wording and, to be blunt, whether I think saying I have diabetes will put them off. I always answe truthfully if asked, of course.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I would say no in the disabilities question and not mention I have diabetes at all.