disability

Spiral

It's how your health problems affect you that matters, not the diagnosis.

Otherwise people with rare or hard to diagnose conditions would not get it. Excellent advice copepod.

Never attempt a DWP form without the help of someone from an independent agency who knows how to word them, the CAB are, indeed, marvelous. As are Age Concern and Welfare Rights in my area.

And I'd never let someone from a statutory agency (health or social services) fill in a DLA form either, however fancy their official title. They don't know how to word the forms. They are, however, fab at providing additional evidence.

ange-eren

Hiya.... I have waited now 17 weeks for the reply to my DLA claim, they decided im not entitled to anything, which i am angry/upset about. I have been diabetic now for 34 years i have no hypo awareness, neuropathy, retinopathy & lastly depression so all in all im feeling as low as it can get after receiving the letter today. I am going to a citizen advice bureau on monday as i am defo appealing against there decision, how they come to there decision i haven't got a clue :(

ange-eren

Hiya, im really at the end of my tether now, i applied for DLA then after 17 weeks i was told my application had failed- i am now appealing against this. Now my SSP has run out as i have been unable to work since the end of March due to loss of hypo awareness & neuropathy ( which i am on Gabapetin 1200mg a day & Amitryptiline 75mg a day) plus due to everything thats gone on in the last 12 months i am seeing a counseller for depression as my GP wont persrcibe anti-depressants as with the other medication i may be prone to fits( as he says "i have enough to deal with never mind fitting!!!") i have now got to appeal against my claim for employment support allowance. I have never had to claim for anything due to my diabetes but it seems as though im banging my head against a brick wall, my diabetic consultant says that i am unable to work due to the problems i am having with my diabetes & also the Dr who did my medical assessment said it was quite obvious i was unable to work so how come people who read evidence at DWP dont see the same thing?? I am so down at the mo but all this is not doin my diabetes control any favours either, its added pressure i just dont need at the min. How/ what can i do bar appeal to make them see how my everyday life is one of hypo's/hyper's & constant pain. I really dont no what else i can do- any ideas please!!!!!! :(

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Sorry you've had such a time of sorting this out. Although I didn't do this myself, I've seen it recommended that DLA forms are not completed without professional assistance (e.g. CAB). They're designed to capture information from all perspectives covering all possibilities which certainly makes them complicated and repetitive. One piece of advice was also that when answering questions you should describe your worst day not your average day (whatever one of those is...). There's been quite a few discussions on here regarding DLA and form filling so well worth checking those out. Good luck!

Shazza

Hi really sorry you have had so many probs, i went with advice from this board and described bad days, took me 2 weeks to fill form out with every single small detail, had a phone call with a few ?? then all went well, the citiziens advice bureua are also good

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ange-eren - hope you can get someone to help you with both your DLA and ESA appeals - a representative really does increase your chances of success, even if they can only write a submission to send to the appeal panel BEFORE the day, but even better if they can come with you.

ange-eren

Thanks everyone for your reply's, i have been to CAB originally about the DLA appeal so he is now goin to de l with this appeal also for me, its just so annoying when i no people who claim ESA although they claimed when it was incapacity & there honestly isn't anything wrong with them.

I no they have to clamp down on fraudulant claims etc but i feel as though they are taking it out on the wrong one's, i have never classed myself as "disabled" but im afraid i have no choice now as i am unable to walk far due to the neuropathy. After 34 years of injecting & blood test etc its just part of the norm as it is for anyone with diabetes, all i am asking is some help finacially as iam unable to work- is that to much to ask!!!

Anyway thanks again for your comments & i will inform you on here if i have any joy- "merry xmas"

sugarybibs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
moaning people who have nothing wrong with them
Hi all i too think its awful that we diabetics cannot get any help from goverment for extra money .My partner works full time and is not on really that good money.I have had type 1 diabetes for nearly 40 years since i was a teenager.I am now in my fifties and keep getting problems like frozen shoulder ive already had operation years ago on right shoulder now cant believe it got one in left shoulder and i am in agony with it.

I have hypos quite often and am either at one clinic or another as us diabetics do.I do receive lowest form of dla care component which is only £18 a week this just about pays for fares to hospital appoinments.My partner has to keep me pay full rent council tax etc.He has to keep me so he has to pay when i have to get transport to hospital appointments dentist etc.Then i thought maybe i could try to claim middle rate care dla because of my hypos etc.I have all these hospital appoinments for diabetes eyes feet etc and cannot get any help with payments from these.

My partners wages just about keep us but we also need good healthy food as well.We also need to keep warm and the gas bills are enormous.We were working it out if it would be better if my partner gave up his job to look after me and after looking into to the cost of dental treatment opticians etc it would be.It is a good job i get my prescriptions free.What really annoys me is people who are fraudsters and claim all kinds of sickness benefits and do not have anything wrong with them!! :evil:

ange-eren

I know wat u mean, ive tried explaining this to DLA & ESA, theres is so much more to being a "diabetic" than we all care to admit to but i said exactly the same to my rep at CAB. At the mo im expected to "live" on £40 per week my food alone comes to that per week i also have my 7 year old to care for etc & i just dont no how im going to survive- my mum & dad have been helping me with food costs but i hate relying on them as they aren't financally "well off" either but when it comes to gas/electric i sit with blankets around me when my son is at school but with my neuropathy im never warm anyway!!!

Like you & all us diabetics out there i also have to attend diabetic clinic, eye clinic, podiatrist, GP & DSN on regular basis so like yourself i either get the bus or get a friend to take me appointments as i am prone to get on a bus have a hypo & end up 8 miles away from where i should be, my diabetic consultant says" Im not safe on a pavement let alone in a car!!" so i have never learnt to drive. There was a new act that was goin through Parliment i remember reading somewhere that people with "long term" illnesses would get a payment to help with cost for items not available on prescription etc.... the sooner the better is what i say!!!! :?

sugarybibs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
moaning people who have nothing wrong with them
busybee2 said:
i am a diabetic and get dla and classed has disabled
Hi busybee2, was just wondering do you get care allowance or mobility or both how long have you had diabetes and what type.Are you disabled?i was only really asking because as we all say on this subject everyone is different.Different ages different type of diabetes and different complications.Did you get this awarded easy?Hope you dont think this is cheeky asking but i was just curious to find out.Thanks anyway busybee2 :wink :) :)

sonni

Hi, i was just wondering if someone could give me sum advice regarding Disabilty Living Allowance....My son whu is terminally ill has been reciveing DLA from birth,its just over a year ago,i did not reapply again,as my house had been repossed and a few other problems too,,including my own health issues...I wanted to know if it was possible to reclaim the DLA from a year ago....And also i wanted to know if i could claim DLA as i suffer from depression,arthritis and diabetes.....I would be glad of any advice anyone could give me.....Thanks..

Acero

I think it depends on the severity of the disability. That's based on the article I've read a while ago. Most of the people who had received their disability living allowance are those who are suffering severely.

by:
www.computerseo.com