pwzero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Basal testing
Hello all,

I have had my pump for a few months now.

I've made good progress but not without a few hiccups. My biggest issue with control has been dawn phenomenon and adjusting my basal rate correctly.

I have taken careful consideration and decided to self fund CGM. I'm sure everyone here appreciates the cost versus outcome argument.

I spoke to Medtronic before Christmas who told me I'd need letter from the DSN who provided it without question.

Medtronic told me they wanted around £580 for the starter kit and that the purchase would count towards the first order if I joined the loyalty scheme for sensors.

Considering the cost and the proximity to Christmas I decided to wait. I called Medtronic today to be told that the starter kit is £687. The reduced price is only available within a month of purchasing the pump. Also that won't count towards the first order of sensors on the loyalty scheme.

Not sure what I expect to achieve by posting this here. I just feel like I'm being taken advantage of. Interesting there are no prices published anywhere in Medtronic's website and no literature anywhere to document that particular pricing strategy. Nor was I told about the month limit policy when discussing self funding back in December some six months after the NHS purchased the pump on my behalf.

Anyway they won't budge. Poor show by Medtronic in my opinion.

Considering I'm about to be a long term customer with a fixed recurring contract, screwing me over doesn't fill me with confidence considering I rely on their equipment and service to keep me alive every day.

Cheers for that.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'd call them back and argue the toss on that one if I was you. I'm sure they can have their minds changed...

Reactions: pwzero

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Agree with tim - @pwzero i'd also contest this with them, I thought this was a year from purchase myself as i'd looked into it too, do you have contact details for the medtronic rep for your NHS trust, as they may be able to argue this on your behalf ?

Reactions: pwzero and paulpapa

pwzero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Basal testing
Update: I called my DSN the next day and asked if they were able to help me resolve this with their rep contact.
I ordered the starter kit yesterday for the reduced price and expect it this week.
Thanks for the replies.

genix

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nice one let me know how it all goes @pwzero as i'm about to start using the 640g and cgm this week and it's nice to see how things go for others using the same technology etc

genix

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I loved the pictures of your 640g in your other thread too.