Disappointing birthday

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wanted to have a bit of a rant. It's my birthday today and diabetes decided to make everything go wrong.

Yesterday I changed my dexcom and the site bled pretty badly, which meant that for about 12 hours after the numbers it gave me were totally off. I stayed up 2 hours past my bedtime because it was so unpredictable, then I couldn't get much sleep since I needed to keep checking and calibrating. I was a bit high at the start of the night (9's) but eventually made my way down to the 6's safely. I woke up really tired and grumpy, had breakfast, and got extremely high (12). This didn't happen yesterday, I had no idea what went wrong, but it was a really persistent high. I did 15 minutes of walking with large IOB, which on any other day would make me drop like a rock, and it had no effect. Finally I came back down, dexcom still playing up a bit. I didn't have any birthday cake, my numbers were so bad lately I decided it just wasn't worth trying so we didn't make one. Instead my mum made me a special salad with my favourite ingredients, and when I sat down to eat it my dexcom alarm went off and I dropped it all :(

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@phdiabetic Happy Birthday :)

I just wanted to say that you're trying your best even on your birthday and that's worthy of a massive birthday cheer, don't let any of it get to you.

S

slaxx

It does get to us, the "small" stuff, as some people might say. I get you. Just postpone the celebration a bit, i guess. It gets depressing, but stay strong. Hugs for you. Try to have a happy birthday :)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Tell me when you decide to celebrate and I'll wish you a happy not-birthday.
Huge hug and hope all is behaving soon.

Reactions: porl69

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think Those Days happen when something else is going on: like your birthday, or , for me, last weekend, visitors. I slipped gently away into a massive hypo, and then had to correct from a bg of 23 over the next whole night and day.

Happy Birthday! I agree with others: celebrate your birthday on another day, when your diabetes is least expecting it!:)