Disconnecting from pump for swimming

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm going on holiday next week. I'm hoping for sunshine, warmth, peace and quiet, kids happily playing, birds singing, blue skies. Who am I kidding, we're forecast cloud, kids have never happily played together in their lives, and I expect the peace and quiet will be deafened by the main road that I'll probably have the luck to be next to!

Anyway, we have a pool all to ourselves for the week and while I don't really plan on using it all the time I'm wondering about the rule about disconnecting from my pump for up to an hour. Is this an hour each day, or an hour a couple of times a day or what? Of course I'll be testing regularly anyway and although I have a waterproof pump, I don't fancy risking it while I'm abroad.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
you could do it more than once in a day, you just need to remember to test and see what you need..........

you can use temp basals and corrections to compensate when you hook back up.....

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I take a shower I suspend my pump and when I put it back on again I see how long it's been off, and bolus for whatever basal rate I've missed. So if my basal rate was 1.0/hr and I was in the shower for a quarter of an hour, I bolus 0.25u. As long as you don't have the pump off for more than an hour at a time, just bolus for an hour's worth of basal every time you put the pump back on.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For me, when swimming or showering can be disconnected for up to an hour without any change. The heat from the shower makes my cells more receptive to the basal insulin already in me, and swimming also makes me more receptive to insulin already in and off sets the rise I would of had. If pre swimming/shower I was under 5 would have a top up snack prior to avoid going too low. One of those things you will have to do, test and see what happens to your levels. Have some qa handy just to be safe.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

Blondie153

Hi we were told by dsn that an hour is the max to be off pump go back on test and stay on 15 mins you are then good to go again. We did this with my daughter on hols last year and because she was in the sun she seemed to need less insulin anyway. She tended not to stay in the water for a full hr anyway so when she did come out we just reattached the pump. I also took a cool bag down with me and bought one of those frio cool pads that I put around the pump to keep insulin cool at the poolside. Hope this helps m

Reactions: 2 people

Stefano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Lucie, when I was on my last holiday I spent hours and hours in a swimming pool. Every hour I checked my bg ( I use a CGM so it was easy job) and bolused calculating the time I had been detached from the pump and what my hourly basal should have been. Again being on holiday and hot weather i needed less insulin