Type 2 Discrimination at Work

Paul12345

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
diabetes
I am a 55 T2 I have been with my current employer 18 months. For the last 6 months I have had recurring UTI’s which has resulted in one hospital admission whilst at work. I have also had BS levels last 6 months of 111. This has massively affected my performance at work and I have kept my manager appraised at every step. I recently got called into a 121 and informed I would be going on a performance improvement plan which is a disciplinary process. I was given the areas of improvement yet there is no support within it to help me improve? I have an excellent sickness record and have never had any performance issues previously and there is no recognition whatsoever ever that my performance impairment is a result of a condition of my disability. I would like some advice? Thanks

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a 55 T2 I have been with my current employer 18 months. For the last 6 months I have had recurring UTI’s which has resulted in one hospital admission whilst at work. I have also had BS levels last 6 months of 111. This has massively affected my performance at work and I have kept my manager appraised at every step. I recently got called into a 121 and I would be going on a performance improvement plan which is a disciplinary process. I was given the areas of improvement yet there is no support within it to help me improve? I have an excellent sickness record and have never had any performance issues previously and there is no recognition whatsoever ever that my performance impairment is a result of a condition of my disability. I would like some advice? Thanks

Is your paperwork titled, "Managing Performance", or "Managing Absence"?

If this relates purely to your absence record, then you may simply have triggered the process by virtue of the time you have had away. Your employer's "Managing Performance", or "Managing Absence" Policy should outline how those processes work. You should ensure you have read this, to try to understand what is going on.

On your final point; I didn't think that T2 diabetes qualified as a disability, unless there were significant complications affecting your ability to live and work.

If you are a member of a union, you should have a chat with them about your predicament.

Paul12345

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
diabetes
Is your paperwork titled, "Managing Performance", or "Managing Absence"?

If this relates purely to your absence record, then you may simply have triggered the process by virtue of the time you have had away. Your employer's "Managing Performance", or "Managing Absence" Policy should outline how those processes work. You should ensure you have read this, to try to understand what is going on.

On your final point; I didn't think that T2 diabetes qualified as a disability, unless there were significant complications affecting your ability to live and work.

If you are a member of a union, you should have a chat with them about your predicament.

It’s titled performance improvement plan. It’s is a disability under the Equality Act 2010.

leahkian

Hi Paul sorry to hear about your problem, i worked for a company where if you had 3 times off work in a year you had to have a meeting with HR. There was me,my shift manager, the office manager and HR she asked why had i been off, which i told her it was due to my diabetes and my renal failure. I told her that when i applied for the job all this information was in there, so she asked what the company could do to help i told her nothing really. With your problems as what the form is about and if you are not happy go to citzen advice for help

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@leahkian - Are you T1 or T2? These things are often viewed differently.

Paul12345

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
diabetes
I take 1000 metformin twice daily and 20 units isophane at night. This is replacing exenatide that did not work and I was misprescribed

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take 1000 metformin twice daily and 20 units isophane at night. This is replacing exenatide that did not work and I was misprescribed

Thank you. There are some fairly new medications that can sometimes have a side-effect of recurrent thrush, but I don't believe that is the case with insulin.

If it is your absence triggering your PIP, I am assuming the goals you have been set have been to have fewer than x numbers of absences or days off during the next 3 or 6 months, sort of thing?

If you latest HbA1c was 111, that's really quite elevated. Unfortunately, high blood glucose is one of the things that creates an environment for thrush and generally infections to be more likely. It would be excellent if you could get those numbers down a bit really.

When you say that your employer hasn't added any support from their end, in PIP; what sort of things were you expecting to see there?

leahkian

@leahkian - Are you T1 or T2? These things are often viewed differently.
I was type one until April 2015 when i had a SPK nut have known type 2 who have gone through the same and i no that having diabetes is not suppose to come into it when you get a job but in mine and few other diabetic both type 1 and 2 the view is that taking a diabetic on is some thing that companys are not keen to do but there are ones who do

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was type one until April 2015 when i had a SPK nut have known type 2 who have gone through the same and i no that having diabetes is not suppose to come into it when you get a job but in mine and few other diabetic both type 1 and 2 the view is that taking a diabetic on is some thing that companys are not keen to do but there are ones who do

Ah. Now I remember reading you'd had an SPK transplant, thanks.

Irritatingly, none of the "Types" on the profiles are a good match for you, which may lead to you being asked the same questions, several times. If you want to limit that, maybe add something to your signature? That's just a suggestion. You're not obliged to.