Dissertation on diabetes!

PDN

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hello, completely new to this!, I am a 3rd year adult nursing student and am interested in completing my dissertation on diabetes. Wondered if anyone had any ideas/suggestions on the type of question I could ask/research?
ps not diabetic, just have an interest.

Reactions: ickihun

oldsle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe you could write about the impact of lchf diet on diabetes vs standard treatment/diet

oldsle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
There's also Intermittent Fasting along with lchf diet. Dr Jason Fung has done a lot of work in that area with a lot of success.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i would suggest not. its not recognized by the health folks so likely to be treated badly.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i would suggest not. its not recognized by the health folks so likely to be treated badly.
I second that suggestion. Stick to the basic stuff, not trendy stuff. Next thing you know you'll be cleaning somebody's apartment out.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, completely new to this!, I am a 3rd year adult nursing student and am interested in completing my dissertation on diabetes. Wondered if anyone had any ideas/suggestions on the type of question I could ask/research?

A fascinating question to examine might be which diabetic complication are caused by excess insulin and which complications are due to excess blood sugars.

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A fascinating question to examine might be which diabetic complication are caused by excess insulin and which complications are due to excess blood sugars.

I would add to that - as well as high circulating insulin levels and high blood sugars, what about certain diabetes medications that are thought to contribute?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Far too broad a field

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Perhaps you could look at the influence of weight loss on the medicinal requirement of type 2 diabetics.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Whats the question about diabetes that puzzles you? Researching and writing about something that intrigues you is much easier and productive than writing about something you dont feel a connection to

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
to be fare nurses that are interested in the subject are important. even my wifes getting on board about reducing carbs instead of the plate rubbish. my carb and calorie book has been doing the rounds. i should get commission. the care of the elderly type 2 patient is another area that could be looked at. its seriously lacking.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I would suggest the impact of food choices on day to day living regarding physical and mental outcomes.
Covering education in the mainstream, access to new approaches be that of a HCP or as someone with Diabetes and most importantly the struggles regarding access to appropriate foodstuffs to manage Diabetes successfully. The fact that depression is often coupled with Diabetes is not often addressed and this can have an enormous impact on outcomes means that 'Diabetes Burnout' might be an interesting dissertion to cover also. Best of luck to you.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Lots of interesting suggestions, though I'd agree that you may not want to borrow trouble by advocating something that isn't yet accepted by the mainstream medical community. You'll need to narrow the field as to what type of diabetes (Type 1, 2, gestational etc, etc) before you can consider what aspect of that diabetes you want to deal with : eg diet, mental care, effects of exercise, education, blood testing, medication, complications, etc etc. Choose something that interests you. Good luck.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
something thats been cropping up a lot recently is eating disorders and diabetic management. the careful balance between them.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What aspects of diabetes interest you?
T1?
T2?
T3?
Complications?
Treatment?
Hospital care?
Preventative care?
Diet?
Medications?
Research?
Which country/health system?

What environment are you currently in (work/study) and is that going to be your info source? Or will you be having to break new ‘ground’ to even start your research?

The last time I looked all PhD research had to be new. So I suggest you have a good rummage to identify what others have/are studying so that you avoid rejection on the grounds of repetition.

And finally, there is your interest level. Most PhD students I knew ended up hating their subject on some levels, yet needing to move forward with their career based on a subject they struggled to enjoy...

So really, just take your time, and choose carefully, based on YOU and your understanding of what interests you in the long term.

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I agree.
Keep it simple and these 2 different treatments are the key for the majority of the diabetic types.
All types need recognision thou, too many are called type2 when are not. So clear definition would gain you expertise points in your papers. The backbone of diabetes, I'd say.

The types are clearly explained on the forum website. Diets too. As a nurse you won't be expected to deal with diet much but talking the correct knowledge will definitely help with patient stress. Sufferers will trust you more and be honest with their self care more if you know what your aiming to understand.
An intelligent nurse is always respected but knowledge has to be shared. A silient nurse is worse than an ill advised nurse. We diabetics are always looking for guidance but the correct guidance ultimately.

Thank you for being a good nurse already because of your interest @PDN.

Last edited:

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am a 3rd year adult nursing student and am interested in completing my dissertation on diabetes.
HI, if you're in third year, you're not required to produce work that flags up anything new or unknown about your subject. make sure you pick a SMALL area on which to focus, otherwise it'll very quickly get out of hand. it doesn't matter whether or not your topic is controversial, the main thing is to find out if there have been any research reports written in peer-reviewed articles about it - you can't do a dissertation in 3rd year without available literature. is your dissertation literature-based, i.e., do you have to produce a literature revew? or are you expected to do some primary research of your own? if the latter, don't try to talk to people with diabetes through the nhs, as getting all the permissions you need to approach them is a long and tortuous process. you could probably always try posting some questions here (though i don't know what the site moderators would say about it, not sure of the etiquette); or think of questions to ask your fellow students, maybe focusing on their knowledge of your chosen topic. good luck.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Maybe medications for diabetics?

Different insulins or type2 tablets.

Their info leaflets are readily available on-line.
Ask this thread to name their insulin and how they are directed to take it?

Mine is basal insulin Toujeo300 units and bolus insulin novarapid units with metformin tablet to reduce insulin resistance 1000mg x2 daily.
If you do want to go that way?

Arlmy

Morning,
a good question would be along the lines of “what is insulin resistance and how it affects or causes diabetes and how it can be prevented/ treated earlier
Or “ thin people and diabetes - as there is a wide focus on obesity and diabetes but little information on people will little fat to lose.

Good luck

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'd like to think diabetics on no meds and manage on diet control wouldn't have much use for a NHS nurse? Only a dn once a year.
And as been proven they only know the basics to tell gp. Even gp refer to endo once not controlled. Dn under a gp isn't authorised to change meds, gp has to do that.
US nurses have more authority but are paid whey more than NHS nurses because of that.