Disturbed Sleep, Dehydration & Urination

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd be very grateful if someone could offer advice about this - whether they think they know what the cause is, or things to try to see if it gets better.

Neither my GP nor doctors at the hospital could work it out.

It's all about dehydration and urination at night, but possibly *not* the usual two suspects for diabetics.

I think I can rule out high blood sugar levels. I did used to get up to pee and drink several times a night when they were well over 10 mmol/l. Then my levels dropped and I started to get decent sleep again. I was on Metformin then to help get the numers lower. On one occasion (when the new problem started) I took a bg measurement during the night after peeing and it was a good score for me, about 5 I think.

Then I stopped Metformin and tried to get healthy levels the natural way.

Then something happened which may or may not be relevant: Unwittingly, I probably entered fairly deep ketosis. I hadn't planned for it and didn't know anything about low-carb dieting and ketosis at the time. I'd just been "eating to my meter" and realised that I was extremely carb intolerant. So the carbs went down and down each day, and from memory one day they were less than 20 grams.

I've researched since then and gather that you expect to pee and drink a lot as you enter ketosis.

The thing that I experienced however was that during the day, things were normal. But it seemed like my body went into a very different state whenever I tried to sleep - within an hour or two, I'd be getting up to pee and drink - my mouth felt very dehydrated - lips sticking together, no saliva, couldn't swallow. Repeat at least every two hours during the night. As soon as I got up for the day, it stopped.

I suspected it was the change in diet so I upped the carbs a bit, but not hugely, I can't remember, I'm going to guess about 50-100 grams a day.

Then it got extremely bad - no exaggeration, waking up and rushing to get water just so I could swallow, peeing, this time with chest pains which may or may not be relevant, trying to get back to sleep and within half an hour doing the same, over and over. That day I was in hospital and they checked pretty much everything they check and were not sure what the problem was.

One doctor happened to be into "low carbing" herself and she suggested that it may be because I had entered ketosis then come out of it, and she said that in leaving ketosis, my body was trying to flush out ketones. She didn't seem at all sure however, and it doesn't explain having practically the same symptoms before leaving ketosis.

Since then the chest pains have never come back, but I've never had a decent night's sleep.

I probably varied between 50 - 150g carbs a day for a while after that, and on many occasions I woke up with a bone dry mouth, and my whole head felt like it was dehydrated, even my eyelids sticking to my eyes!

So the general pattern since then has been very disturbed sleep, due to regularly waking up with a very dry head, drinking and peeing.

Recently I upped the carbs largely for this reason and I hoped it would solve this. It does actually seem to have helped, in the last few nights I've just woken up 2-3 times for a pee and water, and I haven't had a scarily dry head - I can just about produce saliva if I try.

But I can't keep the carbs at that level, it's just too many to be able to keep my bg numbers healthy, so I'm reducing them again. I'm likely to be low-carbing as a way of life, but if it means I don't get sleep, I'll have to stop again. Possibly even up the carbs to unhealthy levels and go back on Metformin. I was getting good sleep on Metformin I seem to remember.

Some possibly relevant info:

* The entry into ketosis wasn't planned, I hadn't done the stuff I've since learned, such as taking magnesium, potassium and sodium supplements.

* I wasn't educated enough to have consciously tried to up the fats to replace the lack of carbs, all I was consciously doing was reducing the carbs to avoid big spikes. No idea what my 'macro ratios' were (and wasn't aware of the term at the time!).

* I did once, when trying an 800 calorie diet, use Ketostix and found the only time I urinated ketones was during the night, never the day, and there were more ketones in my urine as the night progressed. Maybe my body does the whole ketosis thing most strongly at night, whereas most people experience it during the day and are therefore awake and able to keep drinking water and not getting dehydrated?

* I've tried forcing down 3 litres of water a day. Makes no difference at all to what happens at night.

* I seem to enter mild ketosis at about 110g of carbs, I discovered this when doing the 800-calorie-a-day diet.

There are probably all sorts of other relevant things that I haven't mentioned, that's just what comes to mind. I'd be very grateful for any suggestions and they may make me remember other relevant stuff.

I may be misleading you by focusing on carb amounts, I don't know, but it does seem related.

Thank you.

Last edited:

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I am tagging @bulkbiker for his view
possibly the resident expert on VLC -- I am hoping he can shed some light.

meanwhile -- do look after yourself and don't get "poorly "

sending a hug [hug]

himtoo
x

Robkww

Hi @AdamJames - my HbA1c is around 32 since diagnosis in 09/16 but I still have to get up in the night to pee and I have a dry mouth which needs quenching 2/3 times a night. As you are, I'm looking for solutions.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @AdamJames - my HbA1c is around 32 since diagnosis in 09/16 but I still have to get up in the night to pee and I have a dry mouth which needs quenching 2/3 times a night. As you are, I'm looking for solutions.

Crikey, you've been putting up with this for over a year!?

It occurred to me that, forgetting everything about diabetes, lack of sleep is known to be unhealthy for all sorts of reasons. Ironically glucose control is one. This could seriously tempt me to go back on the Metformin.

Let's hope we find a solution.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I suffer disturbed sleep not connected with Diabetes but it definitely impacts on bg especially fbg, I am on Met but still have poor fbg. To add to that, I am on three drugs known to raise bg so all in all a difficult one to sort out. The thirst and peeing was not a symptom I was ever really troubled with.

Reactions: kitedoc

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys... sorry but I don’t have a clue...
I used to get up and pee quite a few times in the night when I had high sugars but since ketosis and bs control it happens very rarely for me. I used to have bad sleep apnoea which led to dry mouth but again that has gone too.
Feel a bit useless now!
I can’t recall ever having seen anything about it on the ketogenicforums.com either although it might be worth having a look there to see if anyone else has experienced this.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys... sorry but I don’t have a clue...
I used to get up and pee quite a few times in the night when I had high sugars but since ketosis and bs control it happens very rarely for me. I used to have bad sleep apnoea which led to dry mouth but again that has gone too.
Feel a bit useless now!
I can’t recall ever having seen anything about it on the ketogenicforums.com either although it might be worth having a look there to see if anyone else has experienced this.

I didn't think it would be an easy one, I remember I trawled the Internet to see if anyone had experienced anything similar, I found one post, and no answers! Add to that 2 GPs and 3 doctors. So your level of usefulness is about the same as the entire Internet and the medical establishment, no worries there!

I appreciate you giving it your attention anyhow.

nosweets

I had to stop the metformin because it was actually making my diabetes worse possibly due to problems specific to my own body and the reason that I became diabetic suddenly. Everybody burns fat "fat burning" when they are on reduced calorie diets or have been exercising. So it is normal to burn fats at night which is caused by ketosis. You are likely to become dehydrated when you are in a state of ketosis so just remember to drink plenty of water. I find that I have to force myself to drink 2 to 3 litres of fluids a day as I don't feel so thirsty.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to stop the metformin because it was actually making my diabetes worse possibly due to problems specific to my own body and the reason that I became diabetic suddenly. Everybody burns fat "fat burning" when they are on reduced calorie diets or have been exercising. So it is normal to burn fats at night which is caused by ketosis. You are likely to become dehydrated when you are in a state of ketosis so just remember to drink plenty of water. I find that I have to force myself to drink 2 to 3 litres of fluids a day as I don't feel so thirsty.

The problem is that, at its worst, I'm pretty sure I was getting through 3 litres just over night so my head didn't turn into a prune. And when I made sure I had 3 litres during the day, this didn't change at all what happened at night. I was actually worried that I was passing so much water through my body that I would be flushing out stuff my body needs like electrolytes, especially if I was going into and out of ketosis.

I suspect connecting myself to a drip overnight would solve it, but Metformin may be a slightly more practical solution :)

Would really like to try to solve this naturally however.

nosweets

The amount of water you need depends on your weight and the heavier you are the more you will need-You said that your doctor does not know what is wrong. It is normal for diabetics to have these symptoms due to high BG. The body tries to remove excess glucose and ketones by peeing as they are poisonous when left hanging around in the blood. The reason that ketones are raised at night may be because one does not eat at night and so the body switches over to fat metabolism. The cure for the excess thirst and high BG of course is taking insulin or pancreas stimulating drugs or lowering levels by drugs. There are alternative methods which are known to lower BG to be found on the internet. Eg: research shows that apple cider vinegar can lower BG by 20%. There are other disorders that may cause your problem such as a urinary tract infection. This is what this website says about complications of diabetes.

“Diabetes and nighttime urination, or nocturia, can be a sign of uncontrolled blood sugar levels. This guide to nocturia explains the basics of recognising nocturia, and how to avoid it. What is nocturia? Nocturia is defined as nocturnal urination. This means the need to get up in the night to go to the toilet. Needing to go to the toilet up to once during the night is considered to be normal. Needing to urinate more than once during the night could indicate a temporary or longer term problem may be present.Causes of nocturia There are a number of possible causes for needing to urinate more frequently than normal at night and these may include one or more of the following.

Diabetes insipidus

High blood glucose levels

Autonomic neuropathy

Urinary tract infections

Cystitis

Prostate diseases

Pregnancy

Excessive fluid intake - particularly alcohol or caffeine intake

Taking diuretic medications

Parkinson’s disease

Multiple sclerosis

Nocturia is more likely to appear as we get older.”

Last edited:
Reactions: SimonCrox

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I get up often during the night and have a dry mouth. But I know the reason for both of those. I have a bladder condition, and I have medication that is giving me dry mouth. It's a nuisance. Although if you have something wrong with your bladder you'd probably find you also have other symptoms aside from nocturia. Have you had your kidneys checked recently? That could be another cause. I wish you the best. :)

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The amount of water you need depends on your weight and the heavier you are the more you will need-You said that your doctor does not know what is wrong. It is normal for diabetics to have these symptoms due to high BG. The body tries to remove excess glucose and ketones by peeing as they are poisonous when left hanging around in the blood. The reason that ketones are raised at night may be because one does not eat at night and so the body switches over to fat metabolism. The cure for the excess thirst and high BG of course is taking insulin or pancreas stimulating drugs or lowering levels by drugs. There are alternative methods which are known to lower BG to be found on the internet. Eg: research shows that apple cider vinegar can lower BG by 20%. There are other disorders that may cause your problem such as a urinary tract infection. This is what this website says about complications of diabetes.

“Diabetes and nighttime urination, or nocturia, can be a sign of uncontrolled blood sugar levels. This guide to nocturia explains the basics of recognising nocturia, and how to avoid it. What is nocturia? Nocturia is defined as nocturnal urination. This means the need to get up in the night to go to the toilet. Needing to go to the toilet up to once during the night is considered to be normal. Needing to urinate more than once during the night could indicate a temporary or longer term problem may be present.Causes of nocturia There are a number of possible causes for needing to urinate more frequently than normal at night and these may include one or more of the following.

Diabetes insipidus

High blood glucose levels

Autonomic neuropathy

Urinary tract infections

Cystitis

Prostate diseases

Pregnancy

Excessive fluid intake - particularly alcohol or caffeine intake

Taking diuretic medications

Parkinson’s disease

Multiple sclerosis

Nocturia is more likely to appear as we get older.”

I've gone through that list and had a read, thank you. None of them *seem* to apply to me, but then it's hard to tell, isn't it.

So far I seem to be very typical Type 2. Also I'm 99.9% sure it isn't to do with elevated blood sugar levels. I know what it's like to keep peeing with elevated blood glucose. That gets me day and night almost equally. This particular problem, I've checked, occurs when I'm getting very normal blood sugars.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suffer disturbed sleep not connected with Diabetes but it definitely impacts on bg especially fbg, I am on Met but still have poor fbg. To add to that, I am on three drugs known to raise bg so all in all a difficult one to sort out. The thirst and peeing was not a symptom I was ever really troubled with.

Everything is too complicated, isn't it? I've always preferred physics to biology!

Reactions: Guzzler

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get up often during the night and have a dry mouth. But I know the reason for both of those. I have a bladder condition, and I have medication that is giving me dry mouth. It's a nuisance. Although if you have something wrong with your bladder you'd probably find you also have other symptoms aside from nocturia. Have you had your kidneys checked recently? That could be another cause. I wish you the best. :)

I do actually wonder if it's not diabetes or ketosis-related at all. Or possibly some damage I did by entering ketosis accidentally and not giving my body what it needed.

No I've never had my kidney's checked due to a slight **** up at the GPs, but coincidentally I've just a few days ago provided a sample for that very reason. This could be interesting!

Reactions: Mep

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. Just wanted to ask if you are really thirsty or just have a dry mouth? My mum was drinking a lot but found she was not making enough saliva. Now has a spray.

Reactions: SimonCrox

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. Just wanted to ask if you are really thirsty or just have a dry mouth? My mum was drinking a lot but found she was not making enough saliva. Now has a spray.

Both extremely dry mouth, and very high thirst. I'll always have a mug (about 300ml) of water before going to the toilet, and often have another 300ml afterwards before going back to bed. It feels like a combination of genuine thirst plus having a head like a dried prune.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@AdamJames apologies if you’ve already mentioned this but are you on statins as they can cause sleep disturbance? Unfortunately I can help you re the thirst but hope it soon gets sorted

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I find that when I consume a lot of protein during a day or when fasting I wee a lot more. Are you eating a lot of protein or not eating enough fat. Additionally are you getting enough salt in your diet? You body will pee lots to keep your salinity at an acceptable level. Just thoughts

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had a water deprivation test in May to rule out suspected diabetes insipidus (where the body is unable to concentrate urine). I was drinking and passing huge huge volumes of fluid, starting the previous August.

Aside from now knowing that I do not having diabetes insipidus, I am none the wiser, except to put it down to 'Snapsy really likes to drink.' The problem has lessened, although I still drink more than 5l a day (better than the 10-13l I was consuming at the onset of the problem.

Factors that are likely to have contributed to my issue:
Increased exercise
Increased salt intake
Raging kidney infection that had me off work weak as a kitten for 3 months
Switching to a lower carb lifestyle
A fondness for diet ginger beer (I love that stuff)
Ditto sugar-free squash! I love the taste of the stuff I drink

My blood sugars were not in the ballpark to cause either the polydipsia and polyuria I was experiencing - I'm rarely out of the ideal range.

My endocrinologist pointed out four things cause polydipsia and polyuria:
Uncontrolled diabetes mellitus
Diabetes insipidus
An excessive alcohol consumption habit
Psychological factors - ie 'I just like drinking'

There are likely to be other factors too, I would think - but these are the four he was looking at in my case. The only one of the four that applies to me is the fourth.

@AdamJames has anyone asked you to collect and measure your output? Might be worth talking to them about DI - it's a very rare condition but very treatable, I gather.

Love Snapsy
:)