DLA for Children.

Keen_Nut

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homework
Hi I am sure you have all heard request's for this, but I don't know where to start.
My daughter was diagnosed with type 1, 7 months ago (she is now 10 years old), and due to a death in the family it has taken this long to finally find time to concentrate on applying for DLA for her.
I have heard so many people telling me it is how you fill in the form, but cant seem to find any examples of the correct wording etc to use.
Can anyone help?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You have to show she needs many hours of additional care compared to what a child of that age would be expected to need. So start with creating a document that lists everything you have to do for her, then see how much of that is at a time that a "normal child" of her age would not need looking after.

Also think about childminders etc and if due to her having diabetes you have fewer options.

Having to get up in the night to check her BG etc may be the bases of a case, as a child of that age would normally not require a parent to check them overnight Likewise if you have to visit her at school every lunchtime.

It would be harder to make a case for a child that takes responsibly for herself, but much easier for a child that has many hypos needing 3rd party help.

Once you have your case worked out, see if you can find a benefits advisor to help with the form.