DLA for children

BekkiG74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone!

Just wondered if anyone has any advice for me on this one.
My daughter already is awarded low rate dla and low carers allowance because she's autistic , she was diagnosed t1 five weeks ago and the diabetes team have said I should claim again as she would be entitled to more now and also had I thought of giving up my job to become her full time carer.
Has anybody else done this or got any advice on this matter?

Thanks in advance

Bex x

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What level of DLA [Disability Living Allowance] is your daughter getting currently? There are 2 parts of DLA, care and mobility, with different rates of each component. Care can be lower / medium / higher. Mobility can be lowest / highest. If your daughter gets medium or higher care component, and you provide enough hours of care, plus don't earn too much from working, then you would be able to claim Carers' Allowance.
It's complicated, so it's well worth seeking help before completing your form. If you're turned down, then it's worth appealling and again well worth seeking help. Places like CAB, council welfare rights units [depending on your local area], charities that deal wih people with autism and diabetes would all be relevant. The link Diabetes UK website given by Catherinecherub is good. Do remember to write all the issues due to autism when filling in form, as well as the new things caused by diabetes. You'll be asking for a supersession to increase your daughter's current award of DLA. I'm assuming she's under 16 currently? For people aged 16 or over, DLA is being phased out and replaced by PIP {Personal Independence Payment}

BekkiG74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you! Yes she gets low rate mobility and low rate care at the moment. I work 20hrs a week at the moment but if I'm honest I'm really struggling with that at the moment , especially if I've been up testing through the night.
I'm thinking that it might be a good idea to speak to cab before I fill any thing in, but thank you so much for that info!
:)