DLA for your child

Niamh's Mum

Just for info: we've just had our claim refused for our 13 year old daughter, received today. This is the second form we've completed as we were given it on first attempt when she was first diagnosed nearly three years ago. Not sure if it's because the system is being reformed and maybe because of Government cutbacks, it's just the way it is now. Going to appeal and see what happens....

lisamariebrankin

Niamh's Mum said:
Just for info: we've just had our claim refused for our 13 year old daughter, received today. This is the second form we've completed as we were given it on first attempt when she was first diagnosed nearly three years ago. Not sure if it's because the system is being reformed and maybe because of Government cutbacks, it's just the way it is now. Going to appeal and see what happens....

Thats terrible!! I hope your appeal has more success :)

Thumper

Niamh's mum
Sorry you've been turned down, hope your appeal is successful. We got higher rate for my son when he was 18 months old and it's been reviewed every 3 years. The last time we only got the lower rate because at 13 he's deemed to need less care. Wish I'd appealed now because as a teenager he seems to need more reminding etc to do BMs and since his Hypo fit during the night a few weeks ago his monitoring has gone up a few notches including night time BMs EVERY night!!!

Niamh's Mum

Hi Thumper,
We were shocked when we were told initially that we could apply for DLA when Niamh was diagnosed, after all, she's ours and of course we are going to look after her and care for her whatever, it's just very unlucky that she has been given this hand of cards. We were given middle rate.

We were under the impression that we would be entitled until Niamh is 16, so were shocked when we got the refusal letter. I keep asking my husband if we were complacement completing the form as we do handle her diabetes quite well and appear to be handling everything well. She is nearly 14 and I would honestly say, we are in very muddy waters with her bloods everywhere. Last night we where up from 1.10am through to 3am. Then because I've been stimulated having to think how to bring her high bloods down, changing her line and insulin and bolusing, I/Niamh can't just fall asleep again. My husband said that the forms were worded completely different and we answered everything they asked, so didn't omit anything, otherwise it would have been trying to justify why she's entitled and not answering their question (waffling).

I feel quite sad, that we have to fight for this. Even though we have now nearly got 3 years experience of the condition, we are still learning all the time and being in the very place we are at ie. practically a 14 year old teenage girl, with hormones surging left right and centre, the condition does what it likes and you can only just keep running with it and correcting as you go. No two days are ever the same. I am sounding like I'm justifying us now and I'm sure I don't need to on this forum as I'm sure you are all aware of how it is.

Going to try to be positive an appeal this weekend and cross our fingers and see what happens :thumbup:

cuttsy

are some of you serious ???
You need financial help for a diabetic child ... over 16 ????

If your child has no other complications, why on earth would they get DLA at this age?

County rugby player, and you have to follow him round to make sure he's ok ???
Are you sure he's not just over molly coddled and can't look after himself any more?
What happens when he's 25 ...... will you still follow him round then?

You can join the army at 16 ..... but you can't control your own Diabetes ????

And what is all the financial help for?
We don't need any money for medication or special food.
Someone said they wanted financial help for Low carb baking !!
[edited expression which could offend]

Reactions: 2 people

sgaliwags

hi, im new on here and just saw this post, my sons been type 1 for 3 years now hes just turned 5 and weve had the hiher rate care component up unil his 5th birthday then they lowered it to the middle rate , i am now appaling as hes got older hes had a fit in the middle ofthe nightwich means he needs a lot more extra care during the niht! now i got to wait 11 weeks for an answer! they refued mobility as apparantly he doesnt need extra supervison outside?!?! hmm ye right xx

Gardenqueen

My son is 16 in feb, we've just re- applied and its going to be stopped. Looks like there's no point re-applying as the government seem to be much stricter now with benefits.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I know parents care for their children...
Not arguing case there about dla.. However, i will just state that an adult with diabetes cant just claim dla... So there has to be a cut off on payments at some point...

Dla is hard enough for amputees and really seriously ill people to get....there has to be a point of age when DLA is cut off, unless due to very serious complications... But I know a lady who had her leg amputated 30 years ago and never put in for dla etc....

I also know of another person who was diagnosed at 9 and now late 40's and never done a days work in her life.. And having got full benefits all her life.. She is just too lazy to care for herself, as even in her 20's living at home her parents would blood test her at midday when she was still too drunk from night before to get out of
bed...

I know I sound harsh ref dla.. But I personally feel that having seen both sides of the coun and also myself being diabetic almost 30 years.. It cannot be assumed in this day and age to get payment from the government for an illness.

We are all living very much longer, medicine is far more advanced.. I personally feel 16 is a suitable age for dla to be reviewed.. If not earlier...

Reactions: 2 people

Charliesmum

Hi Suzi, I've just received a letter to say I'm only getting the medium rate for my 7 year old T1, I just read your post and it made me wonder if I should maybe appeal and try for the lower rate for help with getting around? Charlie does have problems with dropping low while we are out and about/cold weather ect. Im really struggling with everything on my own at the minute and I would really appreciate your help if you wouldn't mind. Thank you

MrsDMiles

At least half of oscars middle rate DLA is going into a separate account. If not all of it. Want to be first in line if a cure becomes available. Consultant told us to apply. Just made me feel sick.
Don't see him as being disabled. I've never not wanted money so much in all my life. But they have it to us and if it can help in the future.. X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App