Do Batches of Test Strips Vary?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diagnosed Type 2 in early May, by late June early July my readings were mostly 5s with the odd 6. I then started a new delivery of strips and my readings switched, mostly 6s with the occasional 5! I hadn't changed diet or exercise. Yesterday evening I started a new delivery of strips and all my readings since have been in the 5s again! Is it the different batches of strips or just coincidence?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Diagnosed Type 2 in early May, by late June early July my readings were mostly 5s with the odd 6. I then started a new delivery of strips and my readings switched, mostly 6s with the occasional 5! I hadn't changed diet or exercise. Yesterday evening I started a new delivery of strips and all my readings since have been in the 5s again! Is it the different batches of strips or just coincidence?

Yes, they do vary a lot. A couple of years ago there was one batch of Codefree strips that many on here noticed an apparent increase in levels. Some of us informed Home Health about this, and they took it on board, did lots of tests, asked the manufacturers to do tests, etc. In my case they sent me some tubs from another batch number and asked me to do some comparisons. If I recall correctly, it was put down to them having been shipped to the UK in very cold weather. That is one extreme example, but there are many other examples in my personal experience. Not only between batch numbers, but also between tubs. For that reason I always recorded when I changed to a new tub and when I changed to a new batch number.
(I use the past tense because I went back to my Accu Chek Mobile for its convenience and consistency and no longer use Codefree)

Reactions: Rachox

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

They can do. I must admit I buy my strips in multiple pots (as I get the discount then), and when going from one batch to another, I always "calibrate" a few strips from the outgoing, with the incoming batch. Of course, individual strips from the same pot can vary a bit, but it just gives me an idea what I'm likely to be seeing, in relation to my experienced expectation.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, they do vary a lot. A couple of years ago there was one batch of Codefree strips that many on here noticed an apparent increase in levels. Some of us informed Home Health about this, and they took it on board, did lots of tests, asked the manufacturers to do tests, etc. In my case they sent me some tubs from another batch number and asked me to do some comparisons. If I recall correctly, it was put down to them having been shipped to the UK in very cold weather. That is one extreme example, but there are many other examples in my personal experience. Not only between batch numbers, but also between tubs. For that reason I always recorded when I changed to a new tub and when I changed to a new batch number.
(I use the past tense because I went back to my Accu Chek Mobile for its convenience and consistency and no longer use Codefree)
They can do. I must admit I buy my strips in multiple pots (as I get the discount then), and when going from one batch to another, I always "calibrate" a few strips from the outgoing, with the incoming batch. Of course, individual strips from the same pot can vary a bit, but it just gives me an idea what I'm likely to be seeing, in relation to my experienced expectation.
Thank you for your quick replies! Yes @Bluetit1802 I'm using a Code Free. I need to start recording new pots/batches too. It only occurred to me when I started yesterday's new pot and got four readings in a row in the 5s again. I then looked back over my spread sheets and realised that the rise upwards coincided with the previous new batch.
@DCUKMod, I buy in bulk with the discounts too, so I've had a good few weeks with higher readings which I couldn't account for. Calibrating one pot/batch against the next is a good idea, thanks for that. I'll start doing it too.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Heya, @Rachox :)

The manuals for all my meters recommend a Control Solution Test for every new batch of strips. Honestly, I find that a bit fussy, but I do double-up my tests when I change pots, just to make sure that they're all behaving themselves.

Have found a relatively interesting (relative, if you're an info-nerd like me) article about them, but haven't read it yet to find out whether it further answers your question.

https://www.thediabetescouncil.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-diabetes-test-strips/

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Heya, @Rachox :)

The manuals for all my meters recommend a Control Solution Test for every new batch of strips. Honestly, I find that a bit fussy, but I do double-up my tests when I change pots, just to make sure that they're all behaving themselves.

Have found a relatively interesting (relative, if you're an info-nerd like me) article about them, but haven't read it yet to find out whether it further answers your question.

https://www.thediabetescouncil.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-diabetes-test-strips/
You're right I haven't used test solution yet, I guess I should order some. However doubling up the tests when changing pots will show up any difference so maybe that'll be all that's needed unless the results are way out? I'll get some solution for the time when readings seem way out.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You know, there are companies - actual, profit-making businesses - who buy up used test strips, extract the gold or palladium, and sell it. If you think about it, this might sound bonkers, but it makes pretty good sense. The amount of gold in the world is finite:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21969100

..and it's getting increasingly more difficult (and expensive) to find and mine new gold veins. And so much gold is thrown away and wasted in unwanted electronics like mobile phones, computers... almost anything that has an electrical current that the overall price of gold can only increase.

So while one or two people probably won't collect that much gold between then, even if they're testing 10 times a day, a company gathering from hundreds of people will upscale into (I'd imagine) a fairly decent profit.

Sorry, drifted off the point there!

On a new pot of strips, I'll certainly bear in mind how I'm feeling (stressed, tired, great, etc), what I've been eating and what my previous readings were. If a repeated test (because the margin of error means we get the occasional mad reading, even on a "good" batch) comes back with a second silly number, then I'll use the control solutions to check. But even these have a relatively high range, so it can feel a bit hit-and-miss.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You know, there are companies - actual, profit-making businesses - who buy up used test strips, extract the gold or palladium, and sell it. If you think about it, this might sound bonkers, but it makes pretty good sense. The amount of gold in the world is finite:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21969100

..and it's getting increasingly more difficult (and expensive) to find and mine new gold veins. And so much gold is thrown away and wasted in unwanted electronics like mobile phones, computers... almost anything that has an electrical current that the overall price of gold can only increase.

So while one or two people probably won't collect that much gold between then, even if they're testing 10 times a day, a company gathering from hundreds of people will upscale into (I'd imagine) a fairly decent profit.

Sorry, drifted off the point there!

Well with this and your other link further up you've sorted my bedtime reading @SockFiddler ! Thank you!
I do like the idea of recycling the strips though :happy:

Reactions: SockFiddler