Do i have Diabetes

Mills57

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hello everybody
I am looking for advice, a few months ago i had blood tests done, and the results came back as excellent. However when i did a medication review with a Pharmacist a month later, she said that the results showed some anomalies, and that she would refer it to a Dr. She was not allowed to tell me what the anomalies were. I subsequently got a letter from the Dr's, asking me to make an appointment with the diabetic clinic. I did this, and was told it was not urgent. I was given an appointment in mid July, and was told it was because my blood sugar was high.
I have since done some research into Diabetes. I did a risk assessment, and came out as very high risk. I also looked up the symptoms, and i seem to have every one of them. I then called the Dr's back, and was told my appointment would be transferred to the practise Dr dealing with Diabetic patients. However nothing was available until mid July. I was now concerned, and made an appointment at a Pharmacy diabetes check. This morning after an 11 hours fast i had a blood test taken, and got a result of 10.5. This caused some concern to the lady doing the test, and she went to fetch the Pharmacist. The Pharmacist straight away told me i needed to see a Dr, and gave me a printed referral with the results on it. I took this to my Dr's, and asked if i could have an earlier appointment. I was told none were available, and I would have to wait for the appointment I already have. All the checking I have done today seems to show that, I do have Diabetes, rather than pre Diabetes. Can anybody help put my mind at rest one way, or the other.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Mills57 That does seem a long time to wait. Could you ask if it was possible to see a nurse instead?

Do you have any symptoms?

Mills57

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
@Mills57 That does seem a long time to wait. Could you ask if it was possible to see a nurse instead?

Do you have any symptoms?
I have to call in the morning to try to talk to a Dr, no nurse appointments. I have fatigue, thirst, need to urinate frequently, occasional blurred vision, and genital itching. Although some of those symptoms are also linked with Atrial Fibrillation which i have.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I hope you get some success with your phone call @Mills57 I recommend making a few notes beforehand so that you don't miss anything out when you speak to them. It's so easy to forget things when you're on the phone and not feeling 100%.

Good luck :)

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I know it is easy to say but try not to worry, in context your number is half of what I initially tested with.
If you do have diabetes, I would suggest that you listen to the advice, ask if you can have a glucose meter and strips, and then cross reference the advice provided, which will likely be different to the cut and thrust on this site. Then you can decide what is the best way forward for you.

Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Mills57

Please try not to worry. Make sure you talk to a doctor tomorrow and try to get all your points over. Hopefully he will arrange some more tests for you to see if you actually do have diabetes - it hasn't been confirmed one way or another yet. You need an HbA1c test to confirm a diagnosis, and if it were me I would insist on having this test.

Meanwhile, keep reading round the forum and ask any questions, then come back and let us know how you go on.

Mills57

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I spoke to a Dr this morning, he was not to concerned about the reading. But has arranged for extended blood tests for tomorrow, and when the results come back they will call me in if needed.

Reactions: Prem51

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I spoke to a Dr this morning, he was not to concerned about the reading. But has arranged for extended blood tests for tomorrow, and when the results come back they will call me in if needed.

That seems good, but even if you don't hear back, I would still call them and obtain a full copy of the extended results though.

Reactions: Kenners

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I agree with @douglas99 that you must obtain a print out of detailed results of your tests, whether they contact you or not. When the labs write up their report they highlight any results that are outside the standard. The doctor looks at the highlighted areas. He doesn't look at the rest. You need to know if you are teetering on the edge of the standard. It could be as little as 1 unit within standard, but your doctor won't tell you (unless he is super efficient and has lots of time) Only yesterday someone posted that they had now seen their test results on line for the first time and were flabbergasted to see they were well within the diabetic range a whole year before they were diagnosed - no-one told him and his HbA1c had increased enormously.

Mills57

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I put that badly, I actually have an appointment for the 11th of July to go over the results, but they will call me in early if they are concerned. In the meanwhile I will start a low carb diet tomorrow.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I put that badly, I actually have an appointment for the 11th of July to go over the results, but they will call me in early if they are concerned. In the meanwhile I will start a low carb diet tomorrow.

That is good, but still ask for a print out at your appointment, or how to register to see your results on line if your surgery does this. You will be having many blood tests from now on, so knowing how well you are progressing (or not) is helpful, and it isn't just blood glucose results, it is also all the other important markers such as cholesterol, lipids, full blood counts, liver and kidney functions. They are all important for diabetics.

Reactions: Alison Campbell