1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Do I need 3 months of bg levels to apply for a driving licence?

Discussion in 'Driving and DVLA' started by isjoberg, Jun 28, 2017.

1. isjoberg

isjoberg Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I met with the registrar of my doctor and he mentioned that if I am applying for a driving licence I need to show three months worth of finger prick tests for the licence itself.... I mainly use my libre and am aiming to pass my test in December so do I need to start doing tests again? I've only heard of the rules regarding testing during driving and not that there would be a requirement for bg results. Has anyone had to provide this information?

I have never been in hospital for my diabetes and the last time I suffered severe hypo I was 7 years old, not sure if that would change things at all?

2. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @isjoberg - that only applies on the commercial licenses, not on the private ones, as far as I am aware. If you go and check the DVLA website relating to Diabetes there is no mention of it for a normal license.

• Like Like x 1
  3. catapillar

catapillar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Only if you're applying to drive a hgv or a bus. Not if you just want to drive a car.

• Like Like x 1
  4. james11

james11 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes hgv and bus only....i go thru it every year

• Like Like x 1
  5. isjoberg

isjoberg Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

As I've discovered this morning. HGV, Bus, or any motorhome or LGV between 3.5t and 7.5t :facepalm:

And yet you can drive a massive 2 tonne car with a 3 tonne caravan on the normal license. Go figure.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook