1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Do I tell?

Discussion in 'Jobs and Employment' started by Nausicaa, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Nausicaa

Nausicaa Type 2 · Member

I will be put on insulin in 2 weeks (as well as my tablets) do I tell my employers? Obviously they already know I'm a diabetic but is there any benefit to them knowing? I know I will need to tell the first aiders on my floor (just in case) but they are employed by a different company - we office share with our clients. All confused with this new status!!

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. IJP66

IJP66 Type 1 · Member

It's worth telling as if you need help say with a hypo. people maybe able to know which help you need quicker if for instance the first aiders are unavailable.

• Like Like x 2
  3. GrantGam

GrantGam Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It would be in your best interests to let everyone know.

I hope insulin therapy allows you to get better control of your diabetes:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. JohnJ

JohnJ · Well-Known Member

I agree with IJP66, I informed my employers when I started on insulin and first aiders on my floor (sent them the web link to this website page 'on treating hypos').

Many people don't because they feel it could harm their promotion prospects but if something happened and you hurt yourself or others, there could be health and safety and insurance implications.

P.S. Don't forget to inform DVLA if you drive, serious implications if you don't.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. leslie10152

leslie10152 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It is better to tell your employer that you are diabetic. You need support from your team, if they don't know -they can't help. Don't put yourself in danger.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. novoguy

novoguy Type 1 · Active Member

Most employers are good about it and would won't to support their staff, I have always found this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Expert

How can you expect your boss to provide duty of care when they are not in the knowledge of the full facts.
    Not sure if their liability insurance is valid when not disclosed?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sable_Jan

Sable_Jan Prediabetes · Legend

The more people that know, the better....

9. Mikew70

Mikew70 Type 1 · Newbie

Not sure why you would not tell them. In the early days controlling your diabetes might be tricky and having your colleagues aware will help you and then if you do have a severe hypo. Good luck with it.

10. fletchweb

fletchweb Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've never told my employers I'm a Type 1 - have informed some co-workers however, because I got tired of giving my shots and testing in the washroom. For me personally - I was concerned about being discriminated against. Now that I'm in my mid 50s it doesn't seem to matter as much but it was a concern for me when I was younger.
    I suppose you will have to weigh your employers intelligence fairness and compassion - and based on that come to a decision. Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook