Do I tick Yes or No to disability?

Dustydazzler

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sore feet, spiders, feeling hungry, night time hypos
Ok, so I used to work for a holiday airline as Cabin Crew for 5 years. I developed Type 1 Diabetes in year 4 of my employment in the airline. They grounded me for 6 months while I got stable and proved to them I was "fit to fly".

I flew for 6 months before I took voluntary redundancy and went to live in the Middle East for two years with my husband. I have not applied for work or been employed in this time. We are now heading back to the UK and I am applying once again to be Cabin Crew to a different airline. I am filling in the Equal Opportunities section and Question 4 states:

The Disability Discrimination Act (1995) defines a disabled person as someone with a 'physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on his/her ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.

Do you consider yourself to have such a disability? YES NO

I really don't know how to answer. I don't consider myself to have a disability as I am well controled and stable on my insulin pump. Is it considered a dissability once you start/if you have complications or is it from the day you become Type 1?

Would I be lying if I put no?

Diabetes does affect my day to day living as I can't do as much on impulse, I have to be aware that I plan to do exercise, I have to be aware that I wish to skip lunch etc but I AM aware and always consider looking after myself around what is happening. I always carry spare supplies, dextrose etc so in that respect it doesnt affect me because I am ready for it if you know what I mean! I don't let it stop me doing anything.

I'm so confused . Advice welcome thank you xx

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The answer I would put is NO if you are otherwise healthy. Most application forms do have a separate area asking about medical conditions so I would mention your diabetes in this section, if it doesn't then make them aware at the interview.

Good luck with the job seeking! :)

suem

Hi i am an Occupational health advisor and am the person who would be assessing this type of information.
You should answer yes as the conidition has the potential to affect your ability to undertake daily living (even though it is not at this time, it stil could in the future) If you don't and issues arise HR might ask OH if the condition was disclosed at the time of assessment for the employment and could use this as a reason to end your employment. If you provide sufficient information on the form there should not be a reason why you cannot be considered as fit for the role, as you have been able to prove by undertaking the role for your previous employer... Would be different if you were flight crewa but should not affect you as passenger cabin crew, as your previous employer found you were able to manage once your condition and its treatment setled.
I am also a Diabetic T2
I find it a real challenge having to do this but i do as i know that the law is thre to ultimately offer some protection to me if i require adjustments regarding my workplace for my condition and it control and treatment.

Regards
Sue

mistee71

Dislikes
FOOTBALL. MY husband is a sports fanatic and watches everything. Most i can put up with just not football.
Hi suem, do you tick yes to a disability for type 2 ?

Cheryl

I am type 1 and always tick YES. The definition, according to our HR guidance (I'm a civil servant) is explained that, if you were not receiving treatment, would your condition interfere with your ability to do your job? The simple answer is, if you're diabetic, no insulin means death. I think that death would probably interfere with your ability to do your job, therefore you have a disbaility as far as DDA is concerned.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
suem said:
Hi i am an Occupational health advisor and am the person who would be assessing this type of information.
You should answer yes as the conidition has the potential to affect your ability to undertake daily living (even though it is not at this time, it stil could in the future) If you don't and issues arise HR might ask OH if the condition was disclosed at the time of assessment for the employment and could use this as a reason to end your employment.

Now that is interesting Sue, so even though you are fit & well you would still say Yes in the event that something may happen in the future :eek: I can understand this is a good thing as it covers all parties involved should someone develop complications..........but I don't like to think I have a disability with just having diabetes :(

mistee71

Dislikes
FOOTBALL. MY husband is a sports fanatic and watches everything. Most i can put up with just not football.
I agree noblehead. I dont see diabetes as a disability especially type 2. Apart from the obvious (hypos) there is nothing a diabetic cant do that someone without can do.

Stevie2tone

Dislikes
Crocs, Bluetooth headsets, Sun newspaper, Injustice, Robert Mugabe, Australian soap operas, Dodgy Casting Agencies and Cotton wool
Its only the fact the DM is actually covered under the Disability Discimination Act that it may be useful to cover yourself should any long term complications become apparent. There is nothing to loose by being honest with a prospective employer. If your DM is controlled then its fine. I am having problems controlling mine, (Yes I appreciate it is my own fault until now), have suffered a few rebound hypo's of late and work have been very supportive of my condition. Also due to my work and the fact I have declared it as a disability, extra measures have been put into place to safeguard me as I have to lonework some shifts.

By stating, (as the law suggets), that DM is considered a disability does not make your condition worse, does not "label" you disabled or will have any major inpact. However it could make your employee more supportive of the condition

I do wish to point out that this is purely my opinion and by no means want to make anyone think that I am telling anyone that what they think is wrong.
Steve

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Isn't this confusing?

If you have a disability then you are disabled - simple English.

You can have a chronic disease which does not render you disabled - just means you have a long term disease which may not impair your daily life when managed correctly.

I will believe that DM is a disability when all diabetics are eligible for Disability Living Allowance and a Disabled parking sticker.
Oh, and can I have my Motability car now, please?
[Allegedly people with kids with ADHD were getting cheap Beemers on the state.]

So IMHO DM shouldn't be classed as a disability.

However especially with T1 people need protection against discrimination in the workplace.
It seems the straightforward way to address this is to class DM as a disability so it falls under that particular legislation and everyone then knows how to handle it as an employment issue.

So we are disabled, but not - you know - disabled.

Go figure

LGC

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
In surveys of diabetics, when they are asked if the consider they have a disability, most tick 'No'.

However if you are dealing specifically with employment legislation you have to be very careful to give the answer which gives you most legal protection.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
(As a T2) I'd tick "No" every time, but then I've never had a day off sick in nearly 20 years of work.

(Yes, I know that's stupid, it's part of my work ethic).

weeezer

wow, i would've always ticked NO, i am genuinely shocked that we t1's should be ticking YES! in fact, should i have to be filling in any forms any time soon, i would still tick NO. only an opinion, aware that this is of no help to you dusty, sorry :problem:

(not saying i'd hide the fact that i'm a t1, i'd declare it elsewhere but i am not disabled, and that's that!)

Stevie2tone

Dislikes
Crocs, Bluetooth headsets, Sun newspaper, Injustice, Robert Mugabe, Australian soap operas, Dodgy Casting Agencies and Cotton wool
I am wondering if readers have misinterpreted my post.

I was not saying that we should tick yes, just pointing out that DM is covered under the DDA.

Steve

loopylyn1

Hi, this has been very useful to me and from now on I will be ticking the box 'yes' as it will be beneficial in my employment. I am a civil servant and been a diabetic type 2 but on insulin plus soooo much more for 10 years. My work has never been effected untill the last year when i have the beginings of neauroathy and this week my first ever hypo!.I had to have the day off work due to this hypo as i drive and it took a while to come back up, also i had a heavy cold(which they think may have triggered the hypo). My team leader was not happy with is an gave me a good telling off saying i am letting the team down .I have always supported the team and worked extra hours when asked and been very flexible with my working hours. I feel lke i coulddnt help having the hypo and was really upset by their bullying attitude. I will be taking this further as i feel i have been unfairly treated.

mistee71

Dislikes
Stevie2tone,

I dont think anybody misinterpreted your post. I think you just raised a very good question and made people think more. For most of us, it is something we wouldn't of even considered.

Stevie2tone

Dislikes
mistee71 said:
Stevie2tone,

I dont think anybody misinterpreted your post. I think you just raised a very good question and made people think more. For most of us, it is something we wouldn't of even considered.

Ah, that's ok then :)

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
I'm type 2 and start a new job this wednesday, I don't think I declared diabetes as I consider it an illness/disease not a disability as it doesn't hold me back in any way. Forgetting legalities I feel there are severely disabled people who do work and to consider myself in the same position as them insults their situation. I have injuries from an accident meaning my left wrist is virtually immobile so lifting is a problem but i'm only disabled if a company runs a scheme guaranteeing job interviews to disabled! Which incidentally wasn't the case with this job I start wednesday. I'm not going to label myself especially in a negative way i'm inconvenienced not disabled!

Cjmen

You should answer yes as the conidition has the potential to affect your ability to undertake daily living (even though it is not at this time, it stil could in the future)

I would dispute this, anything has the potential to affect your ability to undertake daily living in the future. Its NOT a disability or a CONDITION as you put it. Its simply a way of life we live which just happens to be healthier than lots of people without diabetes. Should someone who is overweight declare that in the future they might have heart disease? Should someone who smokes declare that they might get smoking related diseases? Should someone who undertakes extreme sports declare they might get hurt? The answer to all these is no and the same goes for diabetes!
Im sorry to rant but in my 23 years as a type 1 I have seen many occasions like this where people want to broadcast what they have and the complications that it might cause. I have also seen the reaction from people who are not familiar with diabetes. These attitudes of ignorance have probably contributed to things like the restrictions I have on my driving license, I couldnt scuba the barrrier reef, fly in a glider and parachute, all because of peoples ignorance, we shouldnt encourage that and the best way we can try to be treated as equals is not to remind people all the time what we have together with the complications that some people get.