Do you drive? If so, how much?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Easy, man, it's just a bit of good natured wind-up from the old country!

If we want to be honest...it's the right-hand drive that would do me in.

Side note: most people really don't know how to drive a stick here.

Reactions: Mark_1

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do people in the UK really think that we don't know how to drive a stick in the USA? I ask because it was mentioned twice in this thread :facepalm: lol.

Honestly, this conversation is absolutely foreign to me (quite literally). Obviously, we all agree that driving with a hypo is dangerous and no one has ever suggested otherwise, but I've never met a single person with type 1 here in the USA who didn't drive as a result of their diabetes. It must be a cultural difference.
@TorqPenderloin, I honestly meant the whole 'stick shift' concept in total jest. It's an over the pond banter that will never go away and one that has stood the test of time:)

I don't think our cultures differ at all when it comes to driving with T1D. The difference in attitude is between those who manage the condition well (and feel confident) vs those who literally don't know what might happen in the next 20 minutes... I'd imagine that those who have T1 and express concerns regarding driving, are those who have poor control and major issues with their BG management. You'll find that type of diabetic in the US too, by the way.

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I dont think the OP is in the UK @TorqPenderloin and so is subject to different rules.

In the UK, the '5 to drive' is guidance. It clearly doesn't mean that a driver at 5.1 is great but a driver at 4.9 is a liability. It's purely guidance for those on insulin and other drugs with the potential to cause hypoglycaemia. Personally I like to be around 6 to drive as I'm happy to have that cushion even though I have a pump and my control is very good.

The UK rules stress the importance of testing and hypo awareness for drivers on insulin/other meds.
That's interesting I was told that strict adherence was a condition of my driving license and insurance. So setting off with a BG of day 4.8 ducking a glucotabs would be legal of I was involved in an accidental?

I drive sixty miles round trip to work and often drive home at 3am so it's a pain of in low. My approach is to plan where I can do I try to test half an hour before driving so I've gone to correct and I try to avoid bolusing in the hot or two before driving but that's not always possible.
For me the point of all the effort and the medical help is to be able to have a life. Don't see the point of it means giving up and playing everything ultra safe.

Last edited:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's interesting I was told that strict adherence was a condition of my driving license and insurance. So setting off with a BG of day 4.8 ducking a glucotabs would be legal of I was involved in an accidental?

I was responding to Torq's querying of the ability to drive not being affected by being, say, 4.9 rather than 5.

Staying above 5 is good advice and, as I say, I like to be 6ish.

Reactions: Dodo

Crystalwand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm from the USA where there aren't silly rules like needing to have a bg level above 5mmol/l (~90mg/dl).

Driving and CONTROLLED type 1 should not be an issue. On a weekly basis, I fly for work, rent a car, and drive in a city I'm usually unfamiliar with. It's simply not an issue.
You lucky person, it's a pain in the bum, but that's the law in the UK also if the police are called and check you bloods or you do, you can be charged with drug, use fun here

Amy993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Im 17 and have been diagnosed 9 months. I am currently learning to drive, and have 2hour lessons and am insured to go out in my dads car. My nurse has told me the importance of being 5 of above to drive and have a snack if below. I am yet to have been hypo before driving, but will wait before driving if it was to happen. Even if i missed my driving lesson!

Reactions: col101 and azure

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My two-pennyworth.
This thread has intrigued me. It's driven me to find the authoritative statement from DVLA. Without success. Even a posted link failed to find for me the quoted text. Googling for possible links, I've see a lot of regional NHS leaflets or from organisations such as Freestyle :
"The DVLA advise that if blood glucose is 5mmol/l or less you should take carbohydrate before driving. If it is less than 4mmol/l do not drive."
This is typical of what I've read, and, in my estimation, fails to make it clear. A bit like this thread.
Is 5 mmol/L a cut-off point ?
Who has to wait 45 minutes ?
Can @col101 drive at 4.8 ?

I've no idea where my letter from DVLA is, so if anyone can directly quote theirs, that would be great.
For the moment, the advice seems to say that
1) I can't drive below 4
2) I can drive if between 4 and 5, and should take some carbs to increase my BG level
3) If below 4, I can't drive for at least 45 minutes, allowing recovery time from hypo symptoms.

I'm posting in the hope of finding definitive clarification.
If anyone knows, you guys do !
Geoff

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Posting the guidance from that thread here for convenience (thanks @diamondnostril : ) )

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/assessing-fitness-to-drive-a-guide-for-medical-professionals

DRIVERS WITH INSULIN TREATED DIABETES ARE ADVISED TO TAKE THE FOLLOWING PRECAUTIONS

 You should always carry your glucose meter and blood glucose strips with you. You should check your blood glucose no more than 2 hours before the start of the first journey and every two hours whilst you are driving.

If driving multiple short journeys, you do not necessarily need to test before each additional journey as long as
you test every 2 hours while driving. More frequent testing may be required if for any reason there is a greater
risk of hypoglycaemia for example after physical activity or altered meal routine. The intention is to ensure
that blood glucose is always above 5.0mmol/l while driving.

 In each case if your blood glucose is 5.0mmol/l or less, take a snack. If lt is less than 4.0mmol/l or you feel hypoglycaemic, do not drive.

 If hypoglycaemia develops while driving, stop the vehicle as soon as possible.

 You should switch off the engine, remove the keys from the ignition and move from the driver’s seat.

 You should not start driving until 45 minutes after blood glucose has returned to normal (confirmed by
measuing blood glucose). It takes up to 45 minutes for the brain to recover fully.

 Always keep an emergency supply of fast-acting carbohydrate such as glucose tablets or sweets within easy
reach in the vehicle.

 You should carry personal identification to show that you have diabetes in case of injury in a road traffic
accident.

 Particular care should be taken during changes of insulin regimens, changes of lifestyle, exercise, travel and
pregnancy.

 You must take regular meals, snacks and rest periods on long journeys. Always avoid alcohol.

Reactions: Struma

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do people in the UK really think that we don't know how to drive a stick in the USA? I ask because it was mentioned twice in this thread :facepalm: lol.

"3 on the Tree" and "4 on the floor" on classic cars/trucks with a manual transmission stick shift in the US Isn't it? :)

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just in terms of the "considering not driving" thing.. maybe I should explain - I live in the inner city. Having a car is already a pain in the bum - on street parking, have to pay for a permit and half the time have to park 3 blocks from home anyway, toll roads, traffic, extortionate mechanics, etc... I was already halfway to giving up day to day driving. (Having grown up in a small place where everything car related was easy & cheap in comparison).
I'm sure things will be easier once my pancreas settles and my levels aren't all over the shop.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I drive alot and love driving. I do everything I can to plan road trips and am almost always the designated driver / road trip driver in other peoples cars.

My commute TO work is often 82km each way on a highway (401 in Ontario Canada). I do not drive 'stick', I paid the extra and got an automatic, and I also have my Motorcycle license.

I check my sugars before I go anywhere, and always consider how much insulin i have in my system, how much I have eaten and when, and do my best to determine if my sugars seem likely to rise, fall or remain. If they seem like they will fall i eat something first. As far as I know no one has told me there is a blood glucose level mandated by law - I have heard '5 to drive' but like said above if you dont have diabetes you likely aren't at 5, so why should we have to be. I was told i just had to be 'not feeling low, and stable' Stable being the important part.

While driving I have checked my BG behind the while, its less distracting then a cellphone, one can get pretty good at it. Usually if i feel 'strange' i just eat something without checking - better safe then sorry.

I have never thought 'oh i have diabetes, i shouldn't drive' never once. I have thought 'oh i have diabetes, i shouldn't drive right now' lol but usually just check every 10 minutes until i see my number above 5 trending up.

I always have a dex tabs in easy access, and a low carb snack as well (usually almonds) on longer trips.

So far i have never had any issues - I do get worried that while driving at night a cop may see the glow from my Vibe and pull me over thinking im checking my cell phone :/ Those Animas Vibes are so bright haha

Reactions: ickihun

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wouldn't ever check my blood sugar while driving. Even a second's glance away from the road can be dangerous. It's easier and safer to pull over if you need to test.