Do you ever feel ashamed?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I don't like telling anyone I'm diabetic because immediately their attitude changes to they think they know best or they're asking every 5 mins if I'm ok etc both od which I can't bear! I work as a nursing assisitant, hours 7am - 7.30pm I get up for work at 4.45 have my breakfast around 5.30. Our first break in the morning is at 9.00am, I was sitting in the staff room on Wednesday and this woman said to me should'nt you be eating now? So I said I've had my breakfast before I come to work. She replied oh I thought you had to eat a regular times so I said no of course you dont! She went on to say your not supposed to work nights either are you? I mean where do people get this stuff from?! So I would sooner nobody knew about it than to come out with rubbish like that which make me angry.
so true -- that sort of conversation has haunted my entire work life !!!!!

D

Deleted member 308541

As a T2, I feel that I have nothing to be ashamed of, diabetes runs in the family, my older brother is T2 insulin dependant. My crazy mother was T2 and on tablets as far I know, she died of senile dementia and from diabetic complications.

When I tell people that I am on a mlchf diet, they look me and say why is that, it's a simple reply "I am type 2 diabetic and controlling my bgl my eating low carb high fat foods."

It's no good getting a guilt / shame complex for a sh!tty disease.

Last edited by a moderator:

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a BMI of about 33 when I was diagnosed with type 2. Technically, I was obese and a high risk for health problems. Getting the diagnosis was a huge wake up call and I was determined to do something about it.

We are all partly to blame for being overweight. I never realised it was the large amount of carbs I was eating that was the problem. Since cutting back on the carbs I have last about 11 Kg and I now feel a lot healthier. I never considered myself fat because there a so many people fatter than me. The government is partly to blame for the huge rise in obesity and diabetes as it has been encouraging people to eat a diet low in fat and high in carbs with the mistaken view that this will make people more healthy. The huge burden on the health system from obesity and diabetes could be relieved if the medical profession recognised their mistake and advised people to eat fewer carbs.

My big concern for the future is not getting a heart attack, but getting dementia. This seems to be connected to diabetes with excess sugar damaging the brain just as it does with neuropathy in the body. I think a low carb diet and intermittent fasting is the best way to avert heart disease, strokes and dementia. We are fortunate to have a lot of useful information on the treatment of this site and others like dietdoctor.com.

It is up to us to sort out our health problems even though the health profession advice can be a bit dodgy. Blaming other or blaming ourselves for our health issues is not going to help. I feel quite lucky to be able to reverse type 2 diabetes in such a short period of time. We are amazingly fortunate to belong to this community and gain a wealth of useful knowledge about how to manage diabetes.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately, it's the same with any common, "well-known" condition / illness / diagnosis. Re-education is always a part of the diagnosis - and never one that anyone tells you about.

My son was diagnosed with autism around the time Andrew Wakefield (not a doctor, but a liar) faked his test results to suggest that autism was caused by the MMR - and then fled to the States where he hooked up with Saint Jenny McCarthy. Ever since then, the pair of them have been quietly ruining the lives of people with autism, with their special brand of popular hysteria, misinformation and book tours. And then there's the whole Rain Man thing...

My friends have been really cool when it comes to my diagnosis. Not one of them have suggested that I've had it coming or tried to teach, suggest or manage me at all. And they've all been very receptive when it comes to me talking (at times endlessly) about low-carbing (I genuinely believe it's some kind of conspiracy now), medication worries and so on.

I haven't really been out in the world yet, but I plan to self-identify (with a plastic wristband that I can take off when I want) in public, so I probably have the brilliant input of others still to come.

The thing that strikes me, through all of the posts here, is the quiet strength everyone - without fail - has demonstrated. This is a condition that pits us against the world, the media and the NHS. And yet here we all are, defying the lot of them, informed, trying to get healthy, figuring it all out collectively. Everyone wobbles; everyone feels weak or has bad days. I'm so grateful to have found this community of truly inspirational people - I've been able to read all of your stories and, without having to reinvent the wheel, hit the ground running and really take my disease on.

Genuinely, I don't feel I have anything to be ashamed of anymore. I wish I could bottle up and post what I feel to everyone here - especially OP and others who shared their stories and feelings.

Reactions: Rachox

GazAgainstFat

Sometimes I feel beyond ashamed.. Sometimes I literally hate myself for my utter lack of self control. I'd by lying if I said I hadn't wanted to just punch myself in the face and scream "STOP EATING" a few times in the past :banghead:

Turning over a new lease of life after I got some sobering words from my doctors to the tune of.. stop or your kids ain't gonna have a dad in 5 years :(

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't ever feel ashamed, at least you are trying to make changes.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@GazAgainstFat You should tie your GP to the rails and see what he says.

"How will you help me to make these changes?"
"Will you give the means to monitor my illness myself and understand the impact food has upon my health?"
"Will you support that with monthly test strip prescriptions?"
"Would you support me in trying to manage my illness through diet?"

Scare-mongering and shaming aren't really clinically proven to be effective tools in a GP's kit. I wish they'd offer a more constructive response - and one that fits around your requirements and needs.

Though, with that said, it'll probably be a Slimming World voucher and a booklet on wholemeal bread and brown rice.

Can I ask, have you tried cutting out carbs? Maybe not even in some drastic way, but just the main starches we're all programmed to eat (potatoes, bread, pasta)?

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
You can become diabetic through stress and depression also. There is no doubt some nasty people out there who put people into boxes. Some of these people actually either smoke or drink too much. Some are really hypocritical of others yet fail to see their own shortcomings. Never feel guilty..There are plenty of people who are overweight and never get type 2. People who are on Statins can get type 2,it really is a draw of the short straw. If it is eating too much that has caused it, well it takes far more will power and determination to fight it and to get more healthy. You have found this forum which is a massive start,you are trying to take control just like I am and plenty of others. Be proud of yourself

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
sounds like you are a different person today, great work. Do plan for the long term with healthy optimism, it will help with lifting your mood generally. See yourself doing big things, traveling, experiencing the best things in life, it can be simple things but for you special.

I am not ashamed. It's not a STD. Its a bit of your body that does not want to play the game it was supposed to do. You can and by the sounds of it work your body to give you a great life.

Ross

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Sometimes I feel beyond ashamed.. Sometimes I literally hate myself for my utter lack of self control. I'd by lying if I said I hadn't wanted to just punch myself in the face and scream "STOP EATING" a few times in the past :banghead:

Turning over a new lease of life after I got some sobering words from my doctors to the tune of.. stop or your kids ain't gonna have a dad in 5 years :(
That you are here proves that the decision is made. Never feel ashamed, never stop believing in yourself. No one can change your life but you!

msamson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You should feel proud of yourself for the amount of weight you've lost, and how well you are controlling your diabetes. Live in the present, not the past. Well done.