• Poll closed .

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This month we'd like you to share information about whether or not you follow any kind of diet.

If you are currently dieting...

What motivated you to start?
Has your current diet choice had any impact on your weight?
Has your current diet choice had any impact on your blood glucose levels?

If you choose not to follow a diet... feel free to share your reasons why!

kentish maid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who tell me I don't need to test my blood
I low carb I have lowered my weight slowly and my hba1c has dropped from 4.8 to 4.i.

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.
I don't.

I have aspergers as well as type one diabetes and so I'm a very fussy eater. In some ways this is good because I eat mostly the same things. But I also don't like a lot of prepared healthy meals. So I'm not on any specific diet. And I know I eat a lot of carbs. Which is why I carb count.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This "diet" is not a slimming diet but just what I eat. It is true that I lost a few pounds in the process but I started out just trying to keep sugar levels under control.

I don't follow a named diet. From the moment I was issued with a meter I learned what I cannot eat and quite naturally I arrived at a lowish carb diet.

In the pursuit of other meals that I would not only enjoy but keep my sugar low I introduced a couple of stir fries to my personal menu. They have no serious carb content and I eat them two or three times a week.

My signature shows my results.

Amaal

I don't follow a particular diet. The reason being is because i love my food too much. I believe food is there for us to enjoy. I know this is a dangerous way of thinking and i need to change my mentality which i plan to soon, the moment i get myself on the DAPHNE COURSE, which will hopefully teach me how to carb count etc. at the moment i don't carb count. My diet is heavy on carbs, i have this strange belief that a meal is not a meal if the majority of the meal doesn't consist of carbs. Just a bit of background- i've been a type 1 diabetic for 5 years now, diagnosed at the age of 16. I did try carb counting for like 2 weeks 2 years ago and nearly went crazy, by the end of calculating the carbs in a typical meal my food had gone cold, so i have up. Atm i do a lot of guess work when it comes to taking insulin for a meal. I eat what i eat and then fix it with insulin and exercise occasionally. Perhaps the reason why i haven't really changed my diet is because my over all Hba1c is always good, around 5% or 6%. However i constantly get spirals of highs and lows through out the day, but my diabetic consultant seems to congratulate me on my good overall control :s. i just feel i need a better understanding on a refresher on this illness. Any advice????

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
amberzak said:
I don't.

I have aspergers as well as type one diabetes and so I'm a very fussy eater. In some ways this is good because I eat mostly the same things. But I also don't like a lot of prepared healthy meals. So I'm not on any specific diet. And I know I eat a lot of carbs. Which is why I carb count.

Me too! Aspergers and late onset type 1 although I'm a low carber on around 30 grams a day.Natural fats and carbs from green veggies are my method which has yielded good results without feeling hungry.

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.
paul-1976 said:
Me too! Aspergers and late onset type 1 although I'm a low carber on around 30 grams a day.Natural fats and carbs from green veggies are my method which has yielded good results without feeling hungry.

Fascinating. I've met a few people with aspergers who also developed late onset type one diabetes.

I eat cucumber and raw coliflower if I want food without insulin. But anything I eat I have to inject for. Some people can eat one biscuit and it not affect them too much. Not so with me.

I eat a lot of potato products, and I don't think I could cut potatoes out of my diet as it's my main source of food.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can someone please remind me what low-carb is? is it under 150g a day?

and what is high fat too :oops:

I cant remember.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
lucylocket61 said:
Can someone please remind me what low-carb is? is it under 150g a day?

and what is high fat too :oops:

I cant remember.

Low carb in my mind=<100gs.....very low carb <50gs.....ultra low carb <30gs.....High fat being replacing reduced carbs in the diet with natural fats,heavy cream,eggs,real butter,whole milk in moderation as milk contains carbs,meats,cheese,walnuts,olive oil and olives,oily fish,Duck breasts etc..sat fats are filling without spiking your BG's as apposed to proteins which ultimately get broken down and converted into glucose.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I was undecided to vote for Other or None as I don't really follow any particular diet, went for Other although I wouldn't know what to call it :lol:

Thinking about it, if Everything in Moderation had been an option that would have got my vote :thumbup:

Answers:

1) Better control of my diabetes and long-term health.

2) Yes, I lost over two and a half stone in weight and so far have managed to keep it off.

3) Yes....most definitely.

sparkyrich

I started juicing but found vegetables to be the food of the devil taste wise. So, in a half hearted attempt at being good, my "diet" consists of 2 slices of Bergen toast with butter for breakfast, a juice or smoothie for lunch and a stir fry or poached eggs for tea. The lattes have gone now, drink of choice is black tea with no sugar or sweetener.
I've got a couple of vices - a millicano (sp?) decaf coffee with sweetener around 7pm and a voddy and diet mixer at 9pm.
Weights coming off slowly but surely and my meter says I'm not being too naughty with the smoothies.

sparkyrich

Hmm, anyone else having bother with the forum? It put up two copies of my last post and, when I tried to delete it, informed me the forum didn't exist. So, just to prove it does, I've deleted my previous wording and replaced it with this...spooky!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks people :wave:

I do a low-ish carb, no extra fat but have the naturally occurring fat in meat, cheese, milk etc. diet.

I fell off the wagon rather a bit while I have been moving home, but am back on the straight and narrow again now.

B

badcat

Low carb high good fats - started in desperation as an experiment to avoid stating to take januvia when trad diabetic diet stopped working for me after 15 years or so
Since starting on it a year ago hba1c has gone from 67 to 40, Bp has decreased,I've lost 2 stone and my lipid profile is better ( HDL
Has doubled, triglycerides have halved) and all meds have been reduced by 1/3

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
badcat said:
Low carb high good fats - started in desperation as an experiment to avoid stating to take januvia when trad diabetic diet stopped working for me after 15 years or so
Since starting on it a year ago hba1c has gone from 67 to 40, Bp has decreased,I've lost 2 stone and my lipid profile is better ( HDL
Has doubled, triglycerides have halved) and all meds have been reduced by 1/3

Another great success story! Thanks for sharing! :clap:

Mr Whippy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been following the 5:2 fast diet since viewing the Horzon programme about a year ago.

I have lost about 1 stone so far, and am continuing to lose weight although at a much slower rate than most people who are doing it.

I am following it mainly for the other health benefits, but I view any weight reduction as a bonus.

My last A1c has come down from 68 to 62 but I think this is more a case of recent insulin pump adjustments than anything else, However my most recent blood fats results were described as "could not be better" by my consultant, and my blood pressure has also fallen.

After the first few weeks on the diet I had to make approx 20% reduction in my basal insulin as my insulin sensitivity had obviously improved. I have also had to lower my bolus ratios slightly.

I feel good on it, and find it pretty easy to stick to. I normally "fast" on Mondays & Thursdays, and allow myself 500 calories on those days. The diet says a bloke is allowed 600 calories, but I like to keep a few in reserve, especially as if I have a hypo, a sugary drink to fix it would add around another 50 cals.

Dave.

Billietobin

I don't follow any diet.
I'm type one diabetic and I have been for 13 years now, I get told I should do a carb count but I've been stressing out to much on it because I don't understand I get my dietitian trying to help me but I'm short tempered too that I end up walking out. My step-mum says that as long as I make sure I do a injection when I'm meant too she isn't bothered.

Hilbil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been following a low carb diet since I was diagnosed pre diabetic in May 2012. I bought a glucose monitor and I eat to my meter. I have lost a stone, feel great, my lipid profile has improved however my doctor does not take my good hb21c results into account she is just focusing on my marginally increased LDL insisting that I take statins. I tried and went from being fit and healthy to feeling terrible with sore muscles and hot flushes. No more statins for me but it has caused tension between my very nice GP and myself, a shame really.

Netty70

Hilbil said:
I have been following a low carb diet since I was diagnosed pre diabetic in May 2012. I bought a glucose monitor and I eat to my meter. I have lost a stone, feel great, my lipid profile has improved however my doctor does not take my good hb21c results into account she is just focusing on my marginally increased LDL insisting that I take statins. I tried and went from being fit and healthy to feeling terrible with sore muscles and hot flushes. No more statins for me but it has caused tension between my very nice GP and myself, a shame really.

It's is a shame your GP can't see how amazing you have done
Well done from me :)