Doc said no to self testing ...

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Today I have had the results to all my tests - so I am officially T2 and been put on Metformin 1000mg twice a day and also statin tablet . My GP gave me an info pack and that was about it ! The diabetic nurse will contact me by email . He said not to test my glucose levels which I'm a bit confused about - my glucose was through the roof . I didn't tell him I had ordered a monitoring system . What does everyone think of his thinking ? I've already started a low carb diet too .

Reactions: Goonergal

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your GP is following NICE guidelines - that's all.

You probably know what other T2D on here think about those guidelines!

Stick with what YOU think is best for you.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Today I have had the results to all my tests - so I am officially T2 and been put on Metformin 1000mg twice a day and also statin tablet . My GP gave me an info pack and that was about it ! The diabetic nurse will contact me by email . He said not to test my glucose levels which I'm a bit confused about - my glucose was through the roof . I didn't tell him I had ordered a monitoring system . What does everyone think of his thinking ? I've already started a low carb diet too .

Oh how unusual!!!!! Not. What I, and most others on here, think is simple. Ignore him

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
This is about the norm for all t2's even for those of us on insulin........I personally would ignore the "not test" advice and just get on with it, how else are you going to find out how you are coping with your low carb diet........you wont unless you test......I believe we all think its rubbish but until there is a change in mind-set we will have to go our own sweet way and do what's best for us

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
What does everyone think of his thinking ?
Well, I for one, think he is stupid, but, unfortunately most GP's/nurses would say the same. The reasons given are
-you will frighten yourself or become obsessed
-they will do all the necessary tests so you don't need to
-they won't change your meds based on your results, they will only rely on their own, so yours are pointless
- you may get an infection in a finger from too much pricking
- you wouldn't understand the results anyway
- there is nothing you can do to respond to or alter the results, only they can do that.
And the real reason is,
-test strips cost money.

Meanwhile, keep up the good work. Test before and after meals and learn what puts up your sugar levels and, maybe, in the not too distant future you will be one of the many diagnosed T2's who have dropped meds.
Sally

Reactions: Peppergirl

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The non testing advice is quite laughable IMHO. How is anyone expected to control their BG when they don't know what it is and what different foods do to it?

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
This is about the norm for all t2's even for those of us on insulin........I personally would ignore the "not test" advice and just get on with it, how else are you going to find out how you are coping with your low carb diet........you wont unless you test......I believe we all think its rubbish but until there is a change in mind-set we will have to go our own sweet way and do what's best for us
I agree - I've felt rotten for two weeks now and I don't think wondering what my levels ' might ' be would help at all - ten minute appointment for a life changing condition- not really acceptable is it

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Well, I for one, think he is stupid, but, unfortunately most GP's/nurses would say the same. The reasons given are
-you will frighten yourself or become obsessed
-they will do all the necessary tests so you don't need to
-they won't change your meds based on your results, they will only rely on their own, so yours are pointless
- you may get an infection in a finger from too much pricking
- you wouldn't understand the results anyway
- there is nothing you can do to respond to or alter the results, only they can do that.
And the real reason is,
-test strips cost money.

Meanwhile, keep up the good work. Test before and after meals and learn what puts up your sugar levels and, maybe, in the not too distant future you will be one of the many diagnosed T2's who have dropped meds.
Sally
Lol - I had read on here that many have had the same ' treatment ' thank goodness for this site , which he recommended. I think the more knowledge we have the better it is surely ? Worrying really

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi Debzz_
Your experience with the doc is not surprising, unfortunately. Did he/she explain why you were told not to test your BG levels? It's not for me to advise going against what your doctor has said .. but if you are on a low-carb diet, the way to see which foods work for you and which don't is by testing . This is very much an individual thing and what's good for me may cause your BG to spike ..eg; porridge is good for some folks but not for others; bananas are quite high carb but some people can manage them OK if covered in full cream. It's a case of different strokes for different folks
Hope this helps

JennieS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My doctor said the same to me and i told them that my levels are high so i'm going to tract it and they give me test strips on prescription. When i was newly diagnosed they asked me to do it before every meal for about a month - if you want to self test then you should

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Hi Debzz_
Your experience with the doc is not surprising, unfortunately. Did he/she explain why you were told not to test your BG levels? It's not for me to advise going against what your doctor has said .. but if you are on a low-carb diet, the way to see which foods work for you and which don't is by testing . This is very much an individual thing and what's good for me may cause your BG to spike ..eg; porridge is good for some folks but not for others; bananas are quite high carb but some people can manage them OK if covered in full cream. It's a case of different strokes for different folks
Hope this helps
He just said ' it's not necessary ' as I would never have a hypo - but as I want to get the levels down then like you said monitoring is the key ! I just ate a banana see what it does !

Reactions: berylc

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
My doctor said the same to me and i told them that my levels are high so i'm going to tract it and they give me test strips on prescription. When i was newly diagnosed they asked me to do it before every meal for about a month - if you want to self test then you should
I think we have to stand up for ourselves quite a lot it would seem - bit pants isn't it

JennieS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think we have to stand up for ourselves quite a lot it would seem - bit pants isn't it

I personally feel at time GP's don't care about people with diabetes but that might just be my experience

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
I personally feel at time GP's don't care about people with diabetes but that might just be my experience
I think GP's blame us for getting it - yes I am overweight but had already started dieting - I don't really drink I have never smoked - I'm not all bad am I

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Whatever happened to being an informed patient?! Don't hold your breath for the nurse to contact you - go low carb, avoid sugars as much as possible and become an avid label reader of your food - you will be surprised at where those sneaky carbs pop up! You did exactly right ordering your monitoring system - otherwise how else will you find out what your levels are on a day to day basis? From that you will see what causes your levels to go up (or down!). As the other members have said - ask your doctor to put your test strips and lancets on your repeat prescription - because you have been diagnosed as diabetic you are entitled to free prescriptions (and that means ALL prescriptions - not just the ones related to diabetes).

See the link for details: http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/Prescriptioncosts.aspx

One thing to be aware of - if you are ill (or incubating something) your levels will rise as your body dumps glucose to fight the infection. Its a case of look after yourself as well. And if you have side effects from the Metformin (as is commonly caused - stomach problems are very common) - go back to your GP - do not suffer and expect them to go away. There are other drugs you can take apart from Metformin (I couldn't take it myself).

Fingers crossed for you - and if you have any problems or queries - ask on the Forum - there's always someone who will know the answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alison Campbell

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
He just said ' it's not necessary ' as I would never have a hypo - but as I want to get the levels down then like you said monitoring is the key ! I just ate a banana see what it does !
Hi @Debzz_
Have you got your meter yet .. if so, it will be interesting to see what your banana does to your BG in an hour or two ;)
At the end of the day, you have to do what you think is right for you .. and you might like this little strategy that I was given recently for dealing with advice from your Healthcare professionals ...

.. Listen
.. Nod
.. Smile and say Thankyou
.. Ignore

Hope this helps

JRTwalker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
NHS Policy is not to tell you things until you reach certain levels of being ill and when I asked should I be measuring my BG levels, the DB Nurse immediately assumed I expected NHS to fund which I wasn't inferring at all.
Same frustration - I was glucose intolerant from general age screening and because I didn't hit the target at the time to be labelled T2DB, they didn't even tell me let alone give me any new recommendations on diet restrictions. I was told by my GP that I need to have BG of 20 mmol/L before they would label me as a diabetic and only at this point was I told privately by the GP and DB Nurse to disregard earlier recommendations on diet and seriously consider LC.
I am only frustrated with myself for not taking control earlier and doing my own research rather than allowing myself to be led by "experts".

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol - I had read on here that many have had the same ' treatment ' thank goodness for this site , which he recommended. I think the more knowledge we have the better it is surely ? Worrying really

He's or She is defo towing the party line but with a nod to low carbing, why else did they mention this site! That's good!

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Whatever happened to being an informed patient?! Don't hold your breath for the nurse to contact you - go low carb, avoid sugars as much as possible and become an avid label reader of your food - you will be surprised at where those sneaky carbs pop up! You did exactly right ordering your monitoring system - otherwise how else will you find out what your levels are on a day to day basis? From that you will see what causes your levels to go up (or down!). One thing to be aware of - if you are ill (or incubating something) your levels will rise as your body dumps glucose to fight the infection. Its a case of look after yourself as well. And if you have side effects from the Metformin (as is commonly caused - stomach problems are very common) - go back to your GP - do not suffer and expect them to go away. There are other drugs you can take apart from Metformin (I couldn't take it myself).

Fingers crossed for you - and if you have any problems or queries - ask on the Forum - there's always someone who will know the answer.
Thankyou for your advice - I had a nasty water infection two weeks ago which is how this all happened- it doesn't help when they use terms that haven't been explained- haemoglobin they said was extremely high which I didn't understand at first . I've had awful pins and needles too - he said I haven't had diabetes long enough for that to happen - urggg well I am not imagining it !

Reactions: AM1874

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I doubt it, he probably meant 'the other one'
Did s/he offer to have their foot amputated instead of yours if you developed complications due to high BS?

Reactions: berylc and Ultramum