Dodgy insulin pens

2102anderson

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've also had the occasional problem in the past with Nov Rapid flexpen and thought nothing of it as it seemed to have been an isolated occurrence.

But this post has made me think that there could be a country wide problem and each one of us not being overly concerned but now we have a thread going on here has made me rethink to the future.

If and when it happens again in the future I will be taking the pen back to the pharmacist who supplied me and asking for it to be replaced and if I get a problem I will be reminding them of the sale of goods act they can then take it up with manufacturer.

But as a second thought maybe Diabetes UK could contact the manufacturers regarding this report and information and ask for their conments

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree this is probably a needle failure. Change the needle and try again. Insulin can actually dry up and block the needle. Are you changing your needles every time?

DeepThought

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I use novo rapid and levemir insulin pens, I have had problems with several pens now an just wondering if anyone else has experienced this"

I don't know how long you have been injecting but here are a few reasons that have been the cause of the same problems over 23 years of injection:

I inject in my belly and try to rotate the location as often as I can. Having injecting for so long I often inject without paying much attention and find myself injecting in the same spots a lot more. This can build up lumpy tissue in those spots an prevent the insulin from exiting the pen. Best to remove the needle and squirt a bit out (if you can) and then inject in a different location. Sometimes the needle will be blocked with some of that tissue so replace the needle, dial up to where you wanted it again and inject in a different location. Then try your best to avoid those regions

Secondly, if like me, you reuse the needles for a day or so, the can also become blocked with tissue. The advice is the same; change needle and try again. (Try to change your needle more often, it happens a lot less often to me now and I always keep spare needle heads in my bag).

Finally, on occasion I have found that I have put a new needle on the pen but have bent the needle part that goes in to the vial. A quick inspection will let you know if this has happened so replace the needle with a fresh one and start again.

In all the time I have been on the and novo rapid pen and levemere systems, I have never had a problem with the cartridge.

I hope this helps resolve your problem.

DeepThought

PS if you have an ignorant/arrogant chemist that treats you like that, I would complain to the owner or change chemists. You can even complain to the PCT (Primary Care Trust) as that is no way for staff at a chemist to behave towards anyone with a problem.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Lindam9391

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I would check your needles if I were you. I have been using these pens for over 10 yeaars and the odd time this happens it has been the needles. I was using a Novofine needle until the size was discontinued and have now switched to a different brand and have no hassles with them.

Stotties

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stick thin dieticians trying to tell me what to eat.
Type 2 Diabetic for 14 years. I have often had problems with the plastic insulin dispensers whereby the plunger offers a lot of resistance when trying to depress the plunger. I use NovoRapid 3ML glass cartridges with a 32g x 4mm needle with no problems at all. When I inject with Lantus (Plastic Dispenser) using a 31g x 6mm needle that is when the problems start. I have not had any issues with the needles other than the 4mm needle cover is a bit loose and can separate from the needle when unscrewing from the pen. Stabbed my thumb because of this and not paying attention. I always use a new needle and perform a 2 unit airshot before dialing in the dose.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
For me it is not a needle problem. I am on exactly the same prescription as the original writer and am suffering identical problems

Peter Hulse

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The consensus seems to be that pre-filled pens are less robust than pens that are refilled with cartridges. Given that the pre-filled pens are surely more expensive over any period of time, what are their advantages? Why do people use them?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The consensus seems to be that pre-filled pens are less robust than pens that are refilled with cartridges. Given that the pre-filled pens are surely more expensive over any period of time, what are their advantages? Why do people use them?

I wasn't given a choice, always got the lantus cartridges prescribed then the prescription was changed to the Solostar Pens without a reason, as you say they are more expensive so not sure what the logic is :confused:

mikecu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't have to do anything with cartridges, they come ready to use and once the pen runs out they are thrown away

Hi,
do you change the needle each time? Sometimes the needles can get blocked by insulin drying inside the needle. Also sometimes when you push the needle into the skin it can seal the needle with a piece of skin tissue. Another thing I have found is if you push the needle in too far it can sometimes stop the insulin from coming out.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wasn't given a choice, always got the lantus cartridges prescribed then the prescription was changed to the Solostar Pens without a reason, as you say they are more expensive so not sure what the logic is :confused:

I've never used disposable pens.. The early type first generation Novopen pen was used for basal & bolus in the late 80s. (The caps had a habit of coming off this design..)
Then the next gen Novopen came out & I was prescribed the less robust Lilly? For the basal..
I still use a reusable Novopen these days along with the reusable Clik-star for the Lantus. (You can't mix em up. Lol.)

I don't see any logic for disposable pens either.. It's like scrapping the car when the tank is empty.!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I must admit I'm thankful for my mixed prefilled pens. Makes life a lot simpler. I just take it out the fridge and once room temperature, mix, twist needle on and inject.
My friend decades ago had vials and syringes. It looked more complicated. Especially when she was experiencing spikes on top of spikes.

Last month I experienced a jammed prefilled pen, which in a year of using them left me surprised. It was just one box of 5 pens affected.
Others great so far.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I must admit I'm thankful for my mixed prefilled pens. Makes life a lot simpler. I just take it out the fridge and once room temperature, mix, twist needle on and inject.
My friend decades ago had vials and syringes. It looked more complicated. Especially when she was experiencing spikes on top of spikes.

Last month I experienced a jammed prefilled pen, which in a year of using them left me surprised. It was just one box of 5 pens affected.
Others great so far.
The reusable pens are not that much different on principle..
If you can change a AAA battery in a torch? Then changing a cartridge is just as easy!
No need to throw away the torch... ;)

Reactions: 2 people

Brihaze

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being pushed into technology
I use novo rapid and levemir insulin pens, I have had problems with several pens now an just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, when I turn the end to the correct dosage and then go to press it down it gets stuck an won't be pushed down. It's normal for this to happen when the insulin has run out but iv had this happen with pens that are at least half full, some barely used. Naturally this meant I ran out of insulin earlier than expected and when I went to the pharmacist I was treated like some criminal who was trying to cheat the system or something! So just wondered if others have this problem or maybe im doing something wrong?!

with levimir change the needle before using not after as it is inclined to block in the needle also with the levimir pen make sure your thumb is directly over the top of the button and not touching the black section below it as this will cause it to be hard to deliver, the Lilly pens are much better to operate than the levimir the action is more positive

Humma

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i find this happpens when using very small needles

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've only had a few malfunctions... one was blood went into the insulin in the pen and I had to throw the pen out. Then the others it can jam either because of the needle or mine seem to jam a bit at the beginning of towards the end of use of the pen (when there is still insulin in it). It is annoying though when it works when you're checking the needle... then you inject and it gets stuck and you're pushing and pushing.... most times I get it to move. One tip my diabetes clinic told me to do is when you get a new pen to twist it a few times to loosen it. That tends to work for me most times.