Does an OGTT help improve carb tolerance ?

Begonia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have read a couple of posts that seem to suggest an OGTT has helped improve tolerance to carbs after being either on a very low calorie (eg Newcastle) diet or on very low carbs.

I've done a 'sort of' Newcastle diet but with real food (and a few extra cals (1100-1200). Lost weight so BMI now at 22.5. I'm now on lowish carb diet (35-60g) which is fine and easy to sustain and I'm maintaining weight loss.

It would be great to be able to tolerate a few more carbs sometimes. Hence I'm wondering whether its worth trying an OGTT. Any personal experiences of this ?

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No personal experience but that was the implication of at least one test.
Why not give it a go? It will tell you loads about where your body has got to.

Begonia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks @fleegie. I'll probably give it a go in a week or so.

I'm trying to hedge my bets and get the best of all diet options by doing the Newcastle/Blood sugar diet for 8 weeks to get rid of pancreatic fat and then switching back to lowish carbs for long term maintenance.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I'm trying to hedge my bets and get the best of all diet options by doing the Newcastle/Blood sugar diet for 8 weeks to get rid of pancreatic fat and then switching back to lowish carbs for long term maintenance.

Begonia - I can recall a couple of people saying their numbers appeared better after doing an OGTT, but I don't know if that "better" was sustained over the longer term than just a couple of days, post-test.

Some people find if they have a carb-heavy day (whatever that means for the individual) that their body produces a bit more insulin for a day or so, so their numbers are lower, but ti wavers off.

I did an OGTT a couple of months ago, and didn't notice anything I'd remark on afterwards.

I didn't particularly enjoy the OGTT, and I found the Lucozade to be vile (some used Rapilose), so won't be in a big rush to have another go, even though my results were fine.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I am just coming to the end of my 8 week ND experiment.
It has not been half as bad as I thought for most of the time. I have though lost a bit more weight than I wanted to - now less than when I was a slim 18 year old.

Begonia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am just coming to the end of my 8 week ND experiment.
It has not been half as bad as I thought for most of the time. I have though lost a bit more weight than I wanted to - now less than when I was a slim 18 year old.
Well done ! I finished my 8 weeks of low cal at end of September. No trouble maintaining weight so far on lowish carbs and mainly meditteranean style fats plus just creamy coffee for breakfast.