Does Anyone Else Get Different Blood Sugar Results From Right & Left Hands?

maverickuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Something bizarre!

I seem to be getting significantly different blood sugar results when I take blood from a finger on my right hand from when I take it from a finger on my left hand.

The results on my left hand are always lower. Just a coincidence, or could this be that the blood from my left arm/hand is more oxygenated, as it is closer to my heart. It could also be that the BS meter is unreliable. It was one of the cheapest available on Amazon.

Can anyone recommend a really good BS meter?

I also find it easier to take blood from the fingers on my left hand, as the blood erupts more easily and generously when I puncture a finger on my left hand, rather than my right.

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Maverick,

You know what, I'm curious to see this one answered too as I have only ever tested from my left hand, and I'm a newbie.

As for meters I like many here use the code free as it's a pretty reliable unit with super cheap test strips.

Here's a link for the meter, there are also discount codes which make it even cheaper, not sure what they currently are but I'm sure someone will pass by and drop the voucher codes off for you.

http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm

plonkish_

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never tested both at the same time (having to buy the sticks I wouldn't want to waste them) but very interesting!

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bg machines don't give an exact result I think it's something like 15% inaccurate, so if there's only a small difference between the 2 readings it's nothing to worry about, what kind of results are you getting?

maverickuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone. I use the code free as well. They must be making a killing if everyone here uses them. They are the number 1 BS monitor on Amazon as well.

There was roughly a two point (2.0) difference between both hands. That's one hell of a margin for error. It can be the difference between having normal blood sugar or not. The only other difference was that on the right hand I usually have to squeeze harder to get the blood out, on the left I don't.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I could be wrong but sure I've seen someone say on another post a while ago that if you have to squeeze quite hard you can get an incorrect reading

Reactions: HSSS and robert72

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I could be wrong but sure I've seen someone say on another post a while ago that if you have to squeeze quite hard you can get an incorrect reading
Yep - if you have to squeeze too hard, you could be measuring interstitial fluid instead of blood.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As far as I know you're not guaranteed to get the same result from different hands or even different fingers on the same hand from tests done very close together. Your blood's constantly circulating, so glucose levels are constantly changing too, and that's most likely what you're seeing. And there's a margin for error in the test results themselves too, so unfortunately it's not as exact a science as we'd wish for. If you have doubts about your meter you can get a test solution from the supplier/manufacturer (sometimes free) to check that your meter and test strips are working correctly.

The best we can do is look for patterns and trends in our test results and try not to worry too much about these differences.

Robbity

maverickuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Isn't interstitial fluid straw coloured? What I see looks like blood.

Robbity a 2.0 difference is quite significant though isn't it? It can be the difference between good blood sugar and bad blood sugar readings, if you are on the margin.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mrspuddleduck

This might sound crazy but in my little logical mind it makes sense. If your right handed surely the skin on your fingers will be everso slightly tougher from more use - holding pens, prodding stuff etc - you know what I mean. So logically it will be harder to lance. (And vice versa if your left handed of course). Havnt a clue about the different bs readings though so Im going to try it tonight! Sue xx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a newbie at this too. I did the reading on my right hand and it was 183. This was taken after a few hours of not eating and only drinking water. I took it again right away on my left hand and it was only 130. That's a pretty big difference. What's up with that? I use the Reli On Platinum. It was the cheapest at Walmart.

SimonP78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Isn't interstitial fluid straw coloured? What I see looks like blood.

Robbity a 2.0 difference is quite significant though isn't it? It can be the difference between good blood sugar and bad blood sugar readings, if you are on the margin.
If you dilute the blood it will change the glucose concentration - the same thing happens if you have wet/damp hands when you test

Reactions: HSSS

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a newbie at this too. I did the reading on my right hand and it was 183. This was taken after a few hours of not eating and only drinking water. I took it again right away on my left hand and it was only 130. That's a pretty big difference. What's up with that? I use the Reli On Platinum. It was the cheapest at Walmart.
Could you have a contaminate on your first hand? They aren’t always visible.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can get different readings from the same drop of blood using the same meter. They are not precise. And unless your hands are perfectly clean you can’t rule out some contamination. Obviously the degree of difference is relevant. Having to squeeze one hand and not the other suggests different conditions (issues with circulation potentially) and composition of the droplet so it’s not surprising the results are different really.

davidfsavage

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I get a different reading on my libralink patch depending on which arm I put it on. The right arm is always about two points higher

Lupf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is interesting. Are you logging your measurements? This would allow you to plot your left vs right hand values (or the difference) over a period of time to make sure that the effect is real. One has to be careful not to over-interpret results. You also need to take care that you measure both fingers exactly in the same way, i.e washing hands twice, ... Apologies if you are already doing all this.