Does anyone else have gallstones...

BabyBel

I've just been diagnosed with gallstones and am concerned that now I'll need to reduce the fat in my diet!!I'm finding it hard to contemplate life without those little extras which compensate for seriously reducing the carbs.Also wondering whether my HFLC-ing might have been to blame for the recent attack.What do you chaps think?

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On the contrary, low fat eating is much more likely to give you gall stones as the bile sits unused in the gallbladder while a higher fat diet makes us of it so it doesn't have time to form stones.

Have you had an ultrasound? Or were you diagnosed on symptoms?

BabyBel

Yes,I've had ultrasound following an infection which did occur after a particularly heavy weekend of eating and drinking!Low fat may cause gallstones but once you have them,and mine are quite large apparently, most people seem to require a very low fat diet to prevent attacks though I seem to be OK at the moment,eating normally(for a HFLC-er)but just being a bit more careful!

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Large ones are usually easier to live with. It's the small ones that causes trouble.

I think I had gallstones once, extremely painful when they decided to go for a trip and left me. My mum had gallstones and had to have her gallbladder out when it got infected in her late eighties, it was packed full with stones.
A friend of mine get gallbladder attacks from eating eggs, another one when she eats apples. Non of them do low fat.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I did have gallstones,but I have now had my gallbladder out.and Im fine.and can eat everything
I lived on my nerves for 6 months before the op ,as the pain when it came on was realy bad.and I had no warning,It didnt seem to be anything to do with what I was eating.
The op took half an hour and I was home three hours later.

BabyBel

Excellent Patricia21!At the moment,I'm not on the list but if it continues to give me gyp,I'll have to have a rethink.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My Wife, although not Diabetic or on a LCHF diet, had her gall bladder removed last year - it has not affected her eating habits and I think we probably eat more fat than most(!) - prior to the op when it flared up for no reason she was in A LOT of pain.

khkwong

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I hv gallstone as big as 3 cm more than 20 yrs ago. Intake anything with fat caused extremely pain in abdomen and radiated to chest. Finally, the surgeon help me removed the whole gallbladder and this happened 20 yrs ago. I still can take in anything that is fatty because our liver can produce bile to help us to digest fat. But I have to control the amount of fat intake. Now I have diagnosed prediabetic and I follow strictly low carbs but not high fat. I go for medium low fat. I manage to control my BG to below 5.6(morning pre breakfast ). My age is 61 yrs old definitely I can't afford to go for high fat.

DanGrant

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Common causes are high levels of bilirubin or cholesterol, or inadequate amounts of bile salts.
A stone can range in size from a very tiny bit of sand like substance to golf ball size, and it may be a single or even hundreds of stones in the gallbladder.
Individuals over 60 years of age are more likely to get gallstones, with women diagnosed more often than men.
Here are the foods to eliminate
Red meat
Potatoes
Tomatoes
Vinegar - and anything that contains it
Melons
Wheat Bread

Try avoiding these foods for awhile and see if it helps, and take note if you add them back in how your body reacts.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Common causes are high levels of bilirubin or cholesterol, or inadequate amounts of bile salts.
A stone can range in size from a very tiny bit of sand like substance to golf ball size, and it may be a single or even hundreds of stones in the gallbladder.
Individuals over 60 years of age are more likely to get gallstones, with women diagnosed more often than men.
Here are the foods to eliminate
Red meat
Potatoes
Tomatoes
Vinegar - and anything that contains it
Melons
Wheat Bread

Try avoiding these foods for awhile and see if it helps, and take note if you add them back in how your body reacts.

Could you provide a reference for that, please?
So people can follow it up if they like, and read the rest of the info the source may provide. :)

Reactions: OrsonKartt
S

Shar67

I had mine out, what they thought were stones were cysts, I never any pain on right side, but just above belly button. I then got infection in common bile duct, that they thought was a stone, wasn't, had gallbladder removed it didn't make any difference but my philosophy is if you can live without it get it out

chewy22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I have gallstones but didn't find out while having bloods done and doc said he was sending me for a liver scan and they picked them up there. I hsve about 6, I have bad pain all the time but doctor just puts it down to my mucular problems I have. I have never felt so I'll in my whole life since been a diabetic. And find out after my dad died then six months mum died I just hate been a diabetic sorry that's how feel just lately I have thyroid trouble does life ever get better

Rachlou12

I think everyone is different on what they can can't eat. I couldn't eat fatty food at all and I would b awake in the night because my gallbladder would give me problems or I would have a gall stone attack that would also ages once it lasted for 4 hours. I know people who can eat some fatty stuff but can't go near fruit cause it's acidic it's trial and error basically. Ive had mine removed 6 weeks ago nearly but I suffered two years I live on bland foods. I'd go to the gp if it gives you problems that is no way you can deal.with. Some people can control it and the pain don't happen often I wasn't one of them people but the operation is fine nothing to it I'd recommend asking about removal personally I'm glad mine is gone because I had a gutsfuls.