Does anyone have trouble with leg cramps?

Emmy-Lou

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had trouble with leg cramps for a while... They went away while I was in hospital last week (being treated for high blood sugar and high ketones) but have returned the last couple of nights. I have heard this can be because of diabetes so I was wondering if anyone else suffers from them.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do, or rather did, but I think it was due to simvastatin. I have switched to atorvastatin and it has improved greatly, though has not entirely gone away. It is very difficult to unravel what is going on exactly.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I did before diagnosis and still get very localised part muscle micro cramps but I put these latter ones down to muscle growth

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Emma - if you still have high BG and ketones then you are probably dehydrated, which will cause cramps. Drinking more water will also help flush out ketones and excess sugar. Hope you've been able to get hold of your nurse or Dr.

Reactions: 4 people

Emmy-Lou

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Robert.... Will drink more water.... I'm going to try and phone my nurse tomorrow.... Blood sugars and ketones still high so hopefully I can get hold of her tomorrow and see what she says.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you can always go to the hospital A&E, I'm sure they will help

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it's understandable if you're anxious or scared, It's been a tough week, think about sorting it before you go to bed. It may be time for just an insulin shot now and not an overnight drip later

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have had trouble with leg cramps for a while... They went away while I was in hospital last week (being treated for high blood sugar and high ketones) but have returned the last couple of nights. I have heard this can be because of diabetes so I was wondering if anyone else suffers from them.

It is quite common to have leg cramps when you have high BG or even widely fluctuating BG .
Are you managing your intake of carbohydrates to bring your blood glucose readings down? Take a look at the Team blood glucose website and follow the link to the type 2 diabetes kit bag - take a look at the advice about food. Apologies if you already know this, but high bg is directly related to what you eat - manage that and you should begin to feel better. Hope that helps - take care of yourself, and report back soon. Www.teambloodglucose.com

Reactions: 2 people

suenjames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had bad leg cramps until i got some quinine sulphate on prescription

mistyweather

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Have had leg cramps in the past but right now, I get cramp in my hands once or twice a week, which is definitely annoying as well as uncomfortable.

wizardo

Hi Emma - if you still have high BG and ketones then you are probably dehydrated, which will cause cramps. Drinking more water will also help flush out ketones and excess sugar. Hope you've been able to get hold of your nurse or Dr.

Yep, good response, Robert. The cramps are directly related to high blood sugar, get this down and the cramps will disappear. What I didn't realise was that it was the lack of hydration indirectly caused by high blood sugar. Same old advice, cut the carbs and start the exercise. With this regime, my leg cramps have gone away completely.

Reactions: 3 people

Another thing to consider is drinking low calorie Indian Tonic Water - the quinine content will help.

I will leave it to you to decide whether it should be accompanied by a shot of gin!

Tigerkitty1950

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I did a lot of research after reading in my Vitamin book that cramps are due to low potassium, the quick Fix is drink Tonic Water, it has quinine in it, the better solution is to eat more of the necessary foods,
Tomato + and or tomato paste, yogurt, milk, baked potato skin on, carrot juice, raisins, apricots, beans, tuna cod salmon sardines, it cured my awful tummy cramps, ( frequent ) after taking metformin, and 1 morning of painful foot cramps, I eat a lot more Yogurt, have a tube of tomato paste handy, and used to leave the skins of the potato, keep tuna cans handy if I run out of other things,
I have just read that calcium supplements are good for helping your vitamin B12 levels, I just need to try and remember to take one

Emmy-Lou

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another thing to consider is drinking low calorie Indian Tonic Water - the quinine content will help.

I will leave it to you to decide whether it should be accompanied by a shot of gin!
Good idea.... I had gin and tonic once and loved it... I've never had it since but I think I may have to try it again...

c.b.godwin

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am on this site because I'm looking for advice on healthy diet (I have cancer and heart failure). I have had PERSISTENT B AD CRAMPS for years. Quinine helps but it doesn't cure it. Any other suggestions please?

bobandpat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am on this site because I'm looking for advice on healthy diet (I have cancer and heart failure). I have had PERSISTENT B AD CRAMPS for years. Quinine helps but it doesn't cure it. Any other suggestions please?
And we think we have it bad!!?

mattie35

I did, and wow was it painful. In the middle of the night my calf's used to cramp. My doctor could not explain why, but since I have my blood sugar level under much better control, they seem to have gone away. Also drink plenty of fluids.