Does bread made from Stone ground flour act as a low carb food?

mark3888

I wished to know if any members have found a bread that does not make their sugars spike.
I am a GP working with diabetics - my diabetics all tell me what they have had to give up; I just say that if eating 1 unt is enough it is fine. I have a bread recipe that is so satisfying that 1 slice is enough. I am not diabetic and have needle phobia so wondered anyone was curious enough to try the recipe to see what it does to blood sugars!

Soda Bread Recipe

2 x284ml buttermilk (can buy 1 litre cartons of Polish buttermilk and top up to 568ml)
420g Stoneground (bigger particles) wholemeal flour
4 tablespoons sunflower seeds
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
2 tablespoons golden linseed
150g oats plus a few more to sprinkle on the top
1 teaspoon muscovado (any brown sugar will do)
3/2 (1 and a half) teaspoon salt
3/2 (1 and a half) bicarbonate of soda

Oven gas mark 5 / 190 degree C / 375 F

Put 284 ml in bowl
Add 2/3 wholemeal flour and all the seeds
Add in rest of buttermilk; the rest of the flour, oats,
sugar salt, and bicarbonate of soda.
Mix thoroughly.

Grease loaf tin with butter.
Scrape the mixture not the tin.
Smooth the top and sprinkle a thin layer of oats and drop the tin on the table top a couple of times to make sure the mixture has settled.

Bake for 1 hour - turn round half way if oven has hot spots.
Turn out bread; turn off oven and put loaf back in oven for 10 mins.

We make 2 loaves at a time and freeze one.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A GP with needle phobia!! Gosh.

I'm not a baker so can't try out your recipe I'm afraid.

I am T2 on diet only.

Anything containing flour (wholemeal or otherwise) and oats will spike me to unacceptable levels. In fact any grains will do this. Brown sugar????? Through rigorous self testing over the last 3 years I have learnt that flour in particular is my nemesis.

I love bread and am thankful that Lidl do a wonderful high protein roll with less than 10g carbs per roll, and so filling I only need half a roll, toasted with butter. Half a roll has negligible affect on my levels. Many of us on this forum swear by them. Maybe you could pass this on to your patients? The ingredients are: Water, 17 % Linseed, Wheat Protein, Soy Flour, Whole Wheat Flour , 4 % Sesame, Soybean Meal, 3 % Sunflower seeds, Wheat Bran, Yeast , Oat Fiber, Salt, Coloring Spice Extracts (Curcuma), Thickener: Guar Gum.

Nutritional Information
Typical Values per 100g

Energy 289kcal/1203kJ
Fat 13.8g
Of which saturates 1.8g
Carbohydrate 9.8g
Of which sugars 1.2g
Fibre 12.3g
Protein 25.0g
Salt 1.03g

mark3888

Thanks great to hear that Lidl high protein works for you. I will suggest it to my patients.
The key line for me is that you say half a roll really satisfies you.

As for me being a baker - I am not! Dropping the ingredients into a bowl mix it up like making concrete and tip into low loaf tin - eat; 1 slice really satisfies - job done!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @Bluetit1802 . Met a phlebotomist once with a needle phobia. Asked her why and how she did the job, and she just said she was a bit of a sadist as well.:arghh::arghh:

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Wholefoods in London do wonderful bread baked in store and their stoneground wheat loaves are to die for. I used to buy stoneground wheat flower rolls to limit my intake! Now I buy (Nairns) organic seeded oatcakes that contain chia, sunflower and linseed seeds. Only 6 g carbohydrate per oatcake and so yummy!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wished to know if any members have found a bread that does not make their sugars spike.
I am a GP working with diabetics - my diabetics all tell me what they have had to give up; I just say that if eating 1 unt is enough it is fine. I have a bread recipe that is so satisfying that 1 slice is enough. I am not diabetic and have needle phobia so wondered anyone was curious enough to try the recipe to see what it does to blood sugars!

Soda Bread Recipe

2 x284ml buttermilk (can buy 1 litre cartons of Polish buttermilk and top up to 568ml)

Put 284 ml in bowl
Mix thoroughly.

Smooth the top and sprinkle a thin layer of oats and drop the tin on the table top a couple of times to make sure the mixture has settled.

What patients are you aiming this bread at?

I don't find bread spikes me if I bolus correctly.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@mark3888 Your thread title is a little confusing - do you mean Low GI food?

Can you post the nutritional information for your recipe?

How's your recipe any different from normal soda bread?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I do like Soda Bread and with the added seeds I'm sure your recipe will be tasty & nutritious @mark3888

I'm not a baker and prefer just to buy my bread at the supermarket so sadly won't be trying it, good luck anyway.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I control type 2 diabetes with diet - the Lidl protein rolls do not spike my blood glucose, as they are not made with the things I react to, I assume - but flour, oats and seeds - no way. No normal bread recipe would be safe for me to eat. Low GI just means that the spike arrives later.
I used to make bread using my grandmothers recipe, which included fat - but it was irresistible.

Reactions: ralu

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Any seeds - I do chew them - I eat slowly, so they are opened up and the insides digested.
Seeded grapes are the only good things - they raise my BG less than unseeded, but I am very sensitive to all carbs, and should really eat nothing over 10 percent carbs - shouldn't even buy it, as I can't resist temptation when it might be OK to eat just a small amount.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Any seeds - I do chew them - I eat slowly, so they are opened up and the insides digested.
Seeded grapes are the only good things - they raise my BG less than unseeded, but I am very sensitive to all carbs, and should really eat nothing over 10 percent carbs - shouldn't even buy it, as I can't resist temptation when it might be OK to eat just a small amount.

But Lidl rolls are FULL of seeds. I don't understand. Are you just talking about seeds in fruit?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I can guess from the ingredients that the recipe will make bread that increases blood glucose levels. Perhaps, despite your needle phobia, you can see what it does to yours. Or is a lancet still too much for you?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh I see what you mean - yes, I react to the seeds in the Lidl rolls, but I can cope with them - combined with normal flour and oats they would just add to the problem - I'd be in double figures for hours if I ate a normal sandwich.
A Lidl roll is just under a two whole number increase for me, so just within what I allow myself. It counts as a meal.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh I see what you mean - yes, I react to the seeds in the Lidl rolls, but I can cope with them - combined with normal flour and oats they would just add to the problem - I'd be in double figures for hours if I ate a normal sandwich.
A Lidl roll is just under a two whole number increase for me, so just within what I allow myself. It counts as a meal.

Blimey, that is a big rise at 2 hours (?) for a Lidl roll. I only usually have half, and that is toasted with butter as part of a meal, so maybe that is why I don't react.

S

serenity648

Soda Bread Recipe

Put 284 ml in bowl
Mix thoroughly.

Why, knowing what you say you know about carbs and blood sugar level, would you want some of us to risk having a spike to give you feedback?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP is totally uninterested - not even an appointment after my second blood test.
Any interest at all seems to be a good thing, and I took it for granted that there would be a total lack of understanding of just what the heavy weight carbs do to blood sugars when insulin is ineffective.

Personally I have been finding it really interesting to watch the alterations I have seen in my body shape and BG readings over the past few months.
I hope for continued improvement, and would be glad if others can achieve the same happy outcome - but the established medical profession is the only way to really get through the powerful influences of accepted mumbo jumbo on what constitutes a healthy diet.
We had William Banting's Essay on corpulence 100 years before Dr Atkins - and that was almost another half century ago - I can only hope that there will come a time when this will be looked back on as a sort of Dark Ages of nutrition and health.

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I think any interest from a GP in this area can only be a good thing, shame more cant find the time and interest in this. As for the recipe I think it would increase a persons blood sugar, by how much is probably the question.